Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Downranking was about conserving mana while choosing the appropriate heal for the situation and being able to constantly spam heals. This was skill.

    Why didn't you? If you don't see the skill in downranking you obviously missed your true calling. Priest was all about downranking until our mana issues were fixed and it still is a great thing after the fix because downranking gave us a great mid-range heal that didn't consume as much mana as a FH.
    Yeah right.

    Downranking is just using game mechanics in a way they're not supposed to be used. Blizz said so themselves. I'm glad they're fixing it.

    What I don't get is that there seems to be only downrankers and stopcasters. I'm neither. When a tank is a full health, I PoM him, put renew up and start casting a max rank greater heal pre-emptive. Perhaps this might lead to a huge overheal, but chances are he'll get some big hits and he'll need everything he can get from me. In the end, you need some way to manage your mana. Stopcasting is effective, but way too risky, you cannot afford that in high content. Downranking is easy but gives mediocre results, think about that time when your tank died because your crappy R1 GH didn't heal him enough to survive the next hit. There are better ways. Clearcasting - earring - inner focus combo's for example, using pots and dark runes at appropriate times, as well as your shadowfiend.

    To those who say downranking takes skill, because you can decide what heal to use: you're idiots. There is no way you can predict what kind of heal your tank will need in 2.5 seconds, since it all depends on the hits he takes during that time. On fights where you have to spamheal a tank, like Brutallus, downranking is simply not an option. He'll need all the healing he can get, and if you go OOM because of that, you obviously can't manage your mana. Either that, or your gear just doesn't cut it.

  2. #42

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    It seems like, in the mass of debating which method of healing requires more "skill" to play, we have totally missed the fact that BOTH methods are usually required to keep the tank alive.

    It has been mentioned, priests are the MOST diverse healers. Therefore the most SKILLED priests, play to compliment the other healers in the raid at any given point, not decide their play style and stick to it.

    You got Paladins spamming big heals on the tanks, or another priest stopcasting? Downrank. You have a paladin/druid/shaman spamming low ranks/small heals on the tanks? Use stopcasting. There are plenty of ways to take into consideration the raid make-up and decide what your playstyle should be for any given fight. The priests that adapt on a whim most effectively are the priests with skill, period.

    With the removal of downranking, its going to make healer composition and assignments a bit more challenging but give priests more limited options on their playstyle.

    To answer to OP, yes I believe priests will still be a fun healing class, though from the sounds of changes made to other classes they may be fun as well!

  3. #43

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squishypants
    It seems like, in the mass of debating which method of healing requires more "skill" to play, we have totally missed the fact that BOTH methods are usually required to keep the tank alive.

    It has been mentioned, priests are the MOST diverse healers. Therefore the most SKILLED priests, play to compliment the other healers in the raid at any given point, not decide their play style and stick to it.

    You got Paladins spamming big heals on the tanks, or another priest stopcasting? Downrank. You have a paladin/druid/shaman spamming low ranks/small heals on the tanks? Use stopcasting. There are plenty of ways to take into consideration the raid make-up and decide what your playstyle should be for any given fight. The priests that adapt on a whim most effectively are the priests with skill, period.

    With the removal of downranking, its going to make healer composition and assignments a bit more challenging but give priests more limited options on their playstyle.

    To answer to OP, yes I believe priests will still be a fun healing class, though from the sounds of changes made to other classes they may be fun as well!
    Your name is full of win.

  4. #44

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ufalah
    Here is your first problem. BT is ez-mode compared to SWP. SWP is what "hardcore" raiding is all about. You can NOT carry dead weight in SWP. Brutallus teaches you what "mana efficiency" is.
    Gawd I"m so sick of this bs. Before Sunwell, guilds were talking about how you couldn't do shit in BT that you did in SSC and you couldnt do shit in SSC which you do in Kara blah blah blah.. Bottom line is I stopped downranking in TBC and I've had ZERO problems healing thru EVERYTHING. And there are MANY fights which do not let you stop healing when you first start a new raid zone. Dare I say Morogrim and Karathess and Vashj are quite difficult in mostly t4 gear, which most guilds started those fights with that gear. Both of them required constant healing with loads less mp5 and plus healing than you have in SWP.

    So up yours and your arrogant "oh you wouldn't survive doin that in swp" I've heard it before when people were in BT and we weren't, when people were in SSC and we weren't and on and on.
    Because you "balanced" your crit and mp5 you NEEDED to "rest" your mana. Just plug 22+healing in every red slot, 11+healing/2mp5 in blue, and, once you have around 2200+healing, stack haste. Do that and 4 max rank FoL + 1 rank 4 HL rotation is sufficent to maintain mana while being able to keep your tank topped off. No reason to "think" or "put your tank in needless danger by trying to judge RNG". You win and progress. While Divine Illumination is up use max rank HL + Divine Favor for max-mana return. Overhealing doesn't matter. Winning matters.
    More bs from you. I didnt NEED to rest my mana. I CHOSE to rest my mana. Moving from a healing priest to a healing paladin and back and forth again I tended to use Holy Light LOADS More than most pallies. I weaned myself off of that after a while, however, I still like to use HL more than FoL at times. MY Decision which REQUIRED more mp5.. see how thers not a cookie cutter way to play a paladin? I did just fine with her as well.
    Pretty arrogant of you. You assume that because I downrank and you don't, you are the superior player. For someone who didn't get to SWP you talk a lot.
    You call me arrogant in one sentence and then act superior in the sentence afterwords because you went to SWP. Since I quit playing 6 months ago, its kinda moot point anyhoo aint it.
    Its not arrogance, its a chosen play style. Pre-tbc, I downranked.. tbc I didnt NEED to and I realized it so .. apparently ONE of us learned to play differently with new skills and one of us didnt figure out that new skills and gear stats made it possible to play a NEW way.. gosh..wonder whos who :

    More pretentious bullshit. Who are you to decide what is "proper." Every healer in my guild, remember that SWP guild that you aren't in?, downranks. Why? Because it works. Now that will change. I'm sure that since we were skilled enough to out-progress you we will be more than skilled enough to adapt to the changes Blizzard is making.
    If you're so skilled and adaptable, how come most of my guilds' healers managed to get thru BT without downranking and yet your guild swears by it. Before SWP were you telling people in SSC and TK that "they didnt know anything cuz they weren't in BT". I bet you were.
    You didnt out-progress me.. you out-TIMED me. I simply stopped playing. So enjoy your SWP and keep QQ'ing about the changes coming. For me they will be easy to adapt, for you, well you're here whining about them already.
    Oh and its not up to "me" to decide what is "proper". That was Blizzard.

  5. #45
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    I'd like to slap whoever talks about mana efficency on Brutallus.

  6. #46

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Serendipity, a deep holy talent helps with possible mana issues as a result of the removal of downranking heals. The talent refunds 25% of the mana cost of the spell if your flash heal or greater heal heals your target for over maximum health. This works out pretty nice with the bonus 2pt5 if people are still using it.

  7. #47
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    I still think that talent make you appears a bad healer.

  8. #48

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    I personally have never downranked. I tried it, and I just didn't see much point.

    I never had any mana problems while fighting, with 900 mana regen and having a nice set and rotation I was fine.

    I picked up the beasts deck and when that procs at the end I mix in a nice free heal and some nice runs I will get a clearcast as well, due to this I never had any mana problems in a fight.

    However, this is just my point of view. I have never been to sunwell, so I can't say how I would handle in that situation, but at the moment I am fine, and on the PTR I don't really notice any difference apart from the fact there is more to pick and I'm missing 10 talent points!!! :'( c'mon level 80

  9. #49

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyxi
    If you're so skilled and adaptable, how come most of my guilds' healers managed to get thru BT without downranking and yet your guild swears by it. Before SWP were you telling people in SSC and TK that "they didnt know anything cuz they weren't in BT". I bet you were.
    You didnt out-progress me.. you out-TIMED me. I simply stopped playing. So enjoy your SWP and keep QQ'ing about the changes coming. For me they will be easy to adapt, for you, well you're here whining about them already.
    Oh and its not up to "me" to decide what is "proper". That was Blizzard.
    Well at least you answered my question about whether or not everyone is determined to be moronic in their posts. Thanks!

    Any competent player will tell you that SWP is not like any other raid. But beyond that, the interesting thing to note is that you said "most" of your healers. A few competent players can carry a lot of dead weight through lower raids. Hence the idea that SWP is not like other raids. World-class guilds praised SWP for being what raiding should be, an PvE encounter that required all 25 members of the raid to be geared and skillful. No dead weight allowed.

    Our guild could take 6-10 kara geared morons through BT. Does that mean the way those morons played was good? Skillful? No. It means everything pre-SWP had a large margin of error. Sure, IC could be tough and maybe there would be a hard time on Mother w/o enough SR resist but seriously, BT is NOT hard once you know the fights.

    TLDR: SWP =/= any other raid.

    Second point. Downranking is just straight up better. It might be "easier", I even admitted several times that it is. But it provides a lower margin of error. Your tank dies less. You raid wins more. Some fights you don't get to downrank, but 99% of the time DR wins.

    Third point. Your gloating over the fact that now DRs have to "learn to play properly" is misguided. With all the changes to raid buffs, mana efficiency, gear itemization, etc, mana issues aren't as big deal. One reason Blizzard removed DR'ing is because mana has become so abundant it isn't a necessity. Oh wait! Does that mean your stupid idea is invalidated? Sorry.

    Fail.

  10. #50

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ufalah
    Second point. Downranking is just straight up better.
    /agree
    There is no downside to downranking.
    There are some to not downranking.
    Topic over.








  11. #51

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    I still think that talent make you appears a bad healer.
    I had a big rant, but I'll reply to this as....

  12. #52

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Both methods are a decent way to play. I have done both. Who cares whether someone thinks one way is better than another. If you are a GOOD player then it doesn't matter what method to healing you use, as long as you get the job done. It doesn't matter that this person is pro downranking or that person is pro stopcast, each takes some skill to do well. If you are good at whichever method you use and you get the job done then good. But just because you use one method it doesn't make the other method any less desirable to someone else's style of play, nor does it make ur method superior to their's.

    /end rant

  13. #53

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    I always downranked with my priest, but then again, my priest is in green/blue gear with only three parts epic pvp gear, so I have jack shit mana regen, and a manapool of like 7.5k unbuffed. I can pretty much cast 10 max rank Gheals and I'll be oom.

    In that case, I don't understand how you can say that downranking sucks. On the other hand, if you have enough mana regen, there's no point at all in downranking.

    But as said, the entire discussion is useless now, since today or tomorrow downranking will be a thing of the past.

    I too will probably have to use stopcasting, but its fine, I will adapt and not whine about it.

    Don't forget that as a priest you have a whole array of healing spells, so you should at least put some thought into what spell you're going to use instead of just spamming max rank Gheals on somebody.

  14. #54

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phyrion
    Don't forget that as a priest you have a whole array of healing spells, so you should at least put some thought into what spell you're going to use instead of just spamming max rank Gheals on somebody.
    It becomes prescient to be more careful about HpM than before. Working the FSR will become vital.

    Gheal -> renew/PoM means only a 3.5 second wait to hit OOC regen. wewt. You start the stopcasting game within about 2 seconds and play that for a while.

    Fheal is pretty awful without the glyph and correct talents I believe. Either way, no more heal rank 4 in PvP to draw out interrupts :-(

  15. #55

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eloro
    You can't downrank today/tomorrow (1) therefore your argument is mute
    Topic over

    (1) (depends where you live before we get more American retards going 'lololol patches are always today wtf you talking about tomorrow)
    Well, we have a european retard who can't read.

    The arguement isn't "mute" or "moot" or "invalid" or whatever. The point stands. Pre-patch downranking was the surer, safer, BETTER for progression way of keeping your tank alive.

    If you think the patch means that b/c you didn't downrank you are now going to be superior, gl hf dlytd (don't let your tank die) because with all of the new spells etc it isn't going to be Gheal, HL, w/e mass-spam while stopcasting. Maybe....! You will have to pick from other spells?!

    Either way, even if mass-spam/stopcast works, the new mana-regen added to the game has negated the need for downranking. Another way Blizzard is making the game playable for the extremely young, extremely old, and extremely slow-minded. Go go ez-mode tanking! DPS, don't worry about threat, a baby with no hands could keep aggro under this new method! Healers, don't worry about mana, spam your biggest heals! Tanks, all of your attacks do absurd damage now! GG.

    Who needs skill when you have Blizzard?

  16. #56
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,155

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ufalah
    Well, we have a european retard who can't read.

    The arguement isn't "mute" or "moot" or "invalid" or whatever. The point stands. Pre-patch downranking was the surer, safer, BETTER for progression way of keeping your tank alive.
    Well, we have an american retard who can't write.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  17. #57

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Well, we have an american retard who can't write.
    Wow.  Just wow.

    http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexper...tgrammar/hotel

    As for arguement, I'm not sure what you are complaining about.  The spelling is correct, the preceding article is correct... what more do you want from me?!  ???

    btw, lol@u

    *edit* woops!  speedread and now I look silly.  My mistake for adding an "e" to argument.  But hey, my points are still valid even if my placement of 1 vowel was unfortunate!

    *double edit* still lol@u

  18. #58

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Well, we have an american retard who can't write.
    Wtf? Where is the error?

  19. #59
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,155

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    I didn't know about the a/an stuff that was linked. But whe wrote "arguement".

    But anyway, I just saw that Eloro started calling americans retarded - while I thought you started calling europeans retared, so I had to defend our pride.

    So I apologize for the flame, you have the right to flame Eloro.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  20. #60

    Re: Beta Priests > Still the fun healing class?

    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    I didn't know about the a/an stuff that was linked. But whe wrote "arguement".

    But anyway, I just saw that Eloro started calling americans retarded - while I thought you started calling europeans retared, so I had to defend our pride.

    So I apologize for the flame, you have the right to flame Eloro.
    thanks mate! And I really only meant Eloro, I'm sure there are plenty of non-retarded Europeans, yourself included!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •