Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dispersion versus other DPS-caster end talents

I figured, for fun, we should try and compare our 51 point dps talent with the others, from a PvE perspective.

51pt Abilities

Shadow Priest: Dispersion (36% mana, 90% damage reduction for 6 seconds)

Mage:
    - Arcane: Arcane Barrage (Instant burst damage, low CD)
    - Fire: Extra single target dps to full fire (Fire DoT)
    - Frost: 5 second stun on frozen targets (30 second CD)

Warlock
    - Affliction: Haunt (Extra DoT with some PvP effects)
    - Demo: Metamorphis (Makes you into a demon, lolololol)
    - Chaos Bolt (Pew Pew long cast shadowbolt to be used against paladins)

Elemental Shaman: Thunderstorm (AoE, knockback, restores 5% mana)

Balance Druid (Moonkin): Starfall (AoE)

Resume

So we got the mage, who wouldn't spec full either full frost or arcane, since both tree's suck. They get a fire DoT, fitting for a full dps class with no real raid-dps buffs. Nothing big compared to Dispersion, special on mana tight situations.

And then we got warlocks, they got really got shafted no? 3 pretty much useless abilities for PvE, the affliction one being the best one, but we all know affliction will suck badass with +haste on all gear. Sure DoTs can crit, but it won't be THAT good.

Shamans... well, shamans get a AoE, sure the knockback effect looks awesome, but the pratical PvE effect is equal zero. The regen is also very minimal.

And finally druids. Druids get a AoE , nothing more nothing less.

Of all the casters, I think Fire-Mages got the best 51pt talent, and priest having the second best.

Mana regen is essencial on all fights. And so is damage reduction. Alot more than AoE ever will be.

tl;dr: Stop Whining, Dispersion is awesome.

Re: Dispersion versus other DPS-caster end talents

you my friend should at least bother to reread all of the 51 pts. e.g. dest 51 pt.

also note that the ele sham 51 pt is being buffed to return equivalent mana.

and remember that while you get a shitload of mana back, other trees alraedy have mana efficiency in lower tiers ty.

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

It is pretty lackcluster talent. It is must for pvp but no means any good actually. Unless something radically changes you propably still won`t see SP`s playing in outlast comps and for double/triple/shadowplay kind a setup it`s all about nuke and i don`t see 6 sec self silence fitting in there. It at least should remove physical debuffs after all you transform into mist of shadowy energy so if that doesn`t drop poisons off what does?

For pve... well...

you all fail thunderstorm costs no mana its only cost is a GCD

also note that the ele sham 51 pt is being buffed to return equivalent mana.
    That's reasonable, but still make it a situational AoE spell, and nothing something you would pop in every single boss encounter you ever do.

and remember that while you get a shitload of mana back, other trees alraedy have mana efficiency in lower tiers ty.
    Not in the same level as we do with Dispersion.

If you think that priest will go oom, and no other classes will, you might have to rethink.

It is pretty lackcluster talent. It is must for pvp but no means any good actually.
    Is Living Bomb or Starfall good for PvP ?

Atleast ours is quite decent for PvP in it's current state. If mages have to respec frost to PvP , having priests to respec Disciplin is also perfect acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    That's reasonable, but still make it a situational AoE spell, and nothing something you would pop in every single boss encounter you ever do.
    8% free mana every 45 secs ya yur gonna be poping it eveytime its up

At this point in time blizz has said they don't want casters going nuts on haste like they are right now. they want mana controll to play a bigger factor, so dispersion is somewhat good for that, but also remember that you can't cast while your in dispersion meaning you loose valuable dps time and also on that not you gotta be picky when to use it so your not in dispersion with no dots up.

Last note is that afflic locks are beating out all other dps classes in raids atm except maybe ret pallys. so it's looking really good for them.
    Häst - Druid - Skullcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Darknemisis
    At this point in time blizz has said they don't want casters going nuts on haste like they are right now. they want mana controll to play a bigger factor, so dispersion is somewhat good for that, but also remember that you can't cast while your in dispersion meaning you loose valuable dps time and also on that not you gotta be picky when to use it so your not in dispersion with no dots up.

Last note is that afflic locks are beating out all other dps classes in raids atm except maybe ret pallys. so it's looking really good for them.
    Rofl ret pallies are not doing that much pve dps, not even close.

Warlock
    - Affliction: Haunt (Extra DoT with some PvP effects)
    - Demo: Metamorphis (Makes you into a demon, lolololol)
    - Chaos Bolt (Pew Pew long cast shadowbolt to be used against paladins)
    -some pvp effects = a buff to dots making affliction PVE viable
    -lololol (sigh)
    -long cast shadowbolt to be used against paladins = 1,5 sec cast (SB is 2,5 kk) that doesnt work through divine shield (palading bubble)

just thought i'd clarify that.

hey hunters have better!!

we can tame cute little fluffy pets that actually do less dps then normal pets!!!

now thats a nice talent!!

case to say

LOOKS > ALL
    Waiting for SWTOR (Star wars: the old republic)

www.swtor.com

or... GW2... undecided

Living bomb ain`t even bad for pvp tbh. Ofc frost is so dominating atm that it overshadows everything else but living bomb definately is pretty powerful talent.

Quote Originally Posted by imgoochdeep
    8% free mana every 45 secs ya yur gonna be poping it eveytime its up
    If you can, the knockback and aoe effect is somewhat annoying for the regen use. But elemental also have little regen compared to other classes, and no other abilities like shadowfiend,evocation,lifetap etc.

I thought I clarified enough why there is barely any encounters in TBC where Dispersion would mean a signifigent dps loss.

If not, go here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=19682.15

-long cast shadowbolt to be used against paladins = 1,5 sec cast (SB is 2,5 kk) that doesnt work through divine shield (palading bubble)

just thought i'd clarify that.
    Sorry, forgot they nerfed it Also Chaos Bolt is also 2.5 seconds, before talents kick in atleast.

Sorry, forgot they nerfed it Also Chaos Bolt is also 2.5 seconds, before talents kick in atleast.
    shadowbolt is 3 sec cast before talents kick in ... yeah im bored.

i dont mind it being nerfed btw. im just happy it works against rogues. theres nothing nicer then a rogue dying with CoS up.

Starfall is in fact pretty decent for a PVP talent. Hard for rogues to stealth into an inexpensive 30 yard radius AOE.

Got this linked on our realm IRC channel earlier today: http://i35.tinypic.com/1675zl0.jpg

Your data based on premades in premadelol gear? Also, affliction scales horrible with spellhaste, and it's very encounter biased.

Tbh... Disc is still gonna be our main pvp tree... But with dispertion, shadow is also gonna be good... Yes even in full nuke setups.. Ppl always go SHADOWPRIEST NUKE !!!!!!!.. !... Well now they are gonna use 6 secs longer on that nuke = your team should down atleast 1 maybe 2 from the other team.

Combine that with AOE fear that lowers ppls dmg (HUGE buff in nuke teams) + silence and hymn (abit lol there) you should be very viabel in a nuke team.

But please give the 6% hp regen back...

In PVE i would say damn... From what i have read ppl go OOM very very very fast... Now we got fiend or dispertion every 1½ min. And a self silence for 6 sec, every 3 min, shouldent realy hurt us that bad... Often im forced to reposition my self anyhow. Not like its any diff then evocation.. Beside we can move ( ok evo is also base talent ^^) But mages are gonna use evo with the new mana regen i think.
    Everyone thinks their world is falling.. If they had a solid sense of perspective, they probably wouldn't be gamers.

Got this linked on our realm IRC channel earlier today: http://i35.tinypic.com/1675zl0.jpg

Your data based on premades in premadelol gear? Also, affliction scales horrible with spellhaste, and it's very encounter biased.
    well, according to a simulation, affliction has a great potential DPS wise and can beat other classes. the reality can be different because the spell cycle is pretty horrible and mana draining etc. thats from a PVE pov. i did some BGs and was able to top dmg done as affliction, not having so many probs except for rogues. but then again that doesnt mean shit.

what you linked is pretty bad. the dps those locks do would be very average for a lvl 70 lock. so either they suck, or the encounter is somewhat anti-lock biased. i managed to do better dps on dr-boom with an 80 premade lock with pvp gear (pve spec) and without raid buffs.

also, the haste scaling isnt as bad as you might think. there are two DOTs with a cast time, generally only one or two instant dots and SBs ... so there is some scaling, eventho the haste -> dps gain isnt as big as it is for destro ...

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by xourico
    hey hunters have better!!

we can tame cute little fluffy pets that actually do less dps then normal pets!!!

now thats a nice talent!!

case to say

LOOKS > ALL
    now why would you suddenly post qq about hunters in a priest forum section on a casters dps topic?
    GTFO or stay on topic

well, according to a simulation, affliction has a great potential DPS wise and can beat other classes. the reality can be different because the spell cycle is pretty horrible and mana draining etc. thats from a PVE pov.
    Affliction always been high in simulations. Mainly on multi-target bosses, where you "in theroy" would DoT all up.

There's a clear reason for 0/21/40 desto won the TBC dps race.

Affliction always been high in simulations. Mainly on multi-target bosses, where you "in theroy" would DoT all up.

There's a clear reason for 0/21/40 desto won the TBC dps race.
    yes but notice the tier 9,10 and 11 talents in affliction tree (pandemic, EA, haunt). they make a huge difference even on a single target boss. and the simulations im talking about are based on a single target encounter. check the elitist junkies warlock section. affliction will be good (if you dont mind the horrible spell cycle).

other thing is debuff slots. obviously you cant have 3 affliction locks in raid, because they would eat half of the debuff slots for themselves. i really hope blizz will do something about that.