elemental shaman worth it in WOTLK

hey right now i have an elemental shaman and i am most likely gonna stick with it in WOTLK but is it really going to be as bad as people are making it sound.

Re: elemental shaman worth it in WOTLK

If you want a constructive reply, you came on wrong forum. Lately this forum is flawing with whining children and you wont get any realistic reply

While there may be tons of QQ on this forum, there is truth behind all of it. As of now, we are typically about 30% behind in terms of scaling. And without scaling talents, it will only get worse.

If you are going to raid, lates parses of Patchwerk in Naxx 25 and Naxx 10, so elementals in the 3k range. Where the top is usually around 4.5-5k+dps. There are reports of the top end of elemental damage being in the 3.8k range, but that was with 50% crit, which is just a ton of lucky crits.

Therefore, there are a lot of assumptions that go along with this. maybe all the shamans are bad, and thus all dps is low. Though with as much evidence as we have, this seems unlikely. Other toons are better geared, which is more of a probability than terribad elementals.

Blue posts have been mystifying at best so it's hard to actually tell what they mean. With Koraa saying dps is better than expected, and 3 hours later, GC saying "the good news is that your dps is low..." Then nerfs later and 2 weeks later, GC saying our dps is fine.

Therefore it's extremely difficult to tell at this point.

As with most elementals, it seems all of this is just too confusing, and having to wait and be this far behind the curve less than 1 week until 3.0 hits live, it's just too late for most to care anymore.

I'd guess that most elementals are rerolling into enhance or resto, rerolling dk or boomkin.

But if you want to stick with it, go for it. This game is about fun, so if it remains fun for you, there's nothing wrong with that. The only challenge will be what your own endgame goals are. If you want to pusch content or 2k+ in arena, elemental, as of right now, is probably not the best way to go.

thanks. my endgame goal is to do a good amount of raiding. i will probably wait until the next patch just to see how nerfed the elemental shaman really are and if they are as bad as we think i will probably continue with my lock. But as of now im still trying to enjoy my ele shaman as much as possible.

I think still with warlock, if you only really like elemental on shaman, then swap around if things look up... atm i love elemental.. but to raid its seeming ill be needing to go resto... or bring up my hunter from lvl 60 :S

ew not liking how it sounds. i plan on being elem in LK but if its as lackluster as it sounds i can go resto. i enjoy both specs so it isnt much of an issue, but elem hasnt been the most satisfactory in BC.

i heard that once they allowed more raidwide debuffs to affect nature dmg, solo dps of elems have decreased and in 5 mans too, since you dont have the buff/debuffs. but apparently thats how other classes have it so theyre letting elems get the same treatment there.

ive been elem from the start and would love to stay elem at 80, i hope we get some pve love. (pvp is now a lost cause again without our stunning totem =/ )

o yeah i want the ele shaman to get some love too. personally i love raiding with it and i cannot stand how blizzard thinks that we are overpowered because there are a few classes that are more overpowered and are getting buffs in WOTLK instead of getting screwed over like we are.

but i am definitely hoping someone will realize that maybe we are getting nerfed a little too much and will give us some lovin

At least you wont need new gear to reroll resto, eh?

Bad joking aside, I wouldn't call it just yet, as ele is clearly still in flux. I'm betting we'll still be at the back of the dps for a patch or two, but it shouldn't be as drastic as it is now.

I have my 70 elemental shaman with 1037dmg , it was higher but you lose dmg when they change nature dmg to spellpower dmg. I have him copied in beta. Testing yesterday, I find i do the same dmg in beta that i did in live. However, thats it, there is nothing special given to us. Thunderstorm is pretty worthless.

I have a lvl 80 Shaman premade copied as well to beta. It does very nice dmg, again nothing special given to Elemental tree other then the Crit Group buff. Mana cost seems pretty good overall. I would say Elemental Shaman is now very solid. It does not give you any bells and whistles that other classes get. Hex is good, but Blizz failed to give it to us at 70 when we could use it to get into groups.

I have both A druid and a shaman, and im sad to say it. Boomkin is Shaman and mage rolled up in a nice furball package. :P

Quote Originally Posted by greenstripes
    At least you wont need new gear to reroll resto, eh?

Bad joking aside, I wouldn't call it just yet, as ele is clearly still in flux. I'm betting we'll still be at the back of the dps for a patch or two, but it shouldn't be as drastic as it is now.
    While I share your sympathies and hopes that it could be back, still I have doubts for the simple reason that Blizzard seems to have a blind eye and not recognizing the problem as it stands right now.

I took a look at the parses for beta and naxx/patchwerk, and the most telling things I saw were not just the damage being low, but as you move along in terms of dates, elemental shaman seem to be there less and less, as though people recognize a dying breed when they see it.

Add that, even a forum like elitistjerks hasn't got a clue. Through most of beta it has been a pure theorycraft forum, but through the latest nerfs over the last 2 weeks +, it has become very silent and dire with no hope in sight.

It's really very sad, and it truly feels like Blizzard is doing this intentionally to get us to reroll.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21
    While I share your sympathies and hopes that it could be back, still I have doubts for the simple reason that Blizzard seems to have a blind eye and not recognizing the problem as it stands right now.

I took a look at the parses for beta and naxx/patchwerk, and the most telling things I saw were not just the damage being low, but as you move along in terms of dates, elemental shaman seem to be there less and less, as though people recognize a dying breed when they see it.

Add that, even a forum like elitistjerks hasn't got a clue. Through most of beta it has been a pure theorycraft forum, but through the latest nerfs over the last 2 weeks +, it has become very silent and dire with no hope in sight.

It's really very sad, and it truly feels like Blizzard is doing this intentionally to get us to reroll.

Would you suggest going boomkin?

Quote Originally Posted by numanuma

Would you suggest going boomkin?
    at this point that is my plan. I've already talked it over with my guild leader and have the ok to do so. I just hope they allow me to get in some of our off day Black Temple raids so I can try and get some good gear before the expansion actually hits.

unfortunately i dont have the option of doing any BT runs :'( but luckily i have a free druid to test out so hopefully it wont be that hard to change from ele shaman to boomkin if the ele shaman ends up as bad as the changes make it seem.

I totally agree with these posts. I love my elemental shaman, and was looking forward to keeping it as my main raid caster dps for WotLK. However I have only seen blue posts that have forced me to ween off of favoring my shaman for caster dps, and begin favoring my druid and going boomkin. Feral spirit looks like a promising dps boost but we'll see come November. So it looks like I'm going to be forced to swap druid and shaman for melee and caster raid dps, which is a shame because I enjoy taking rogue dps gear for my own.