Poll: BS or Engineering for WOTLK?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

BS or Engineering?

Hey all

I'm thinking about changing from BS to engineering. I've been a BS on this char since ever. I got it to 364 or so and I don't think there's much point on continuing with it. It is expensive, hard to level and if I want a weapon or an armor I could get it easly by another way. I also got mining and I got it at 375.

Looking at engineering, I can see some interesting and fun options (or maybe it's just me). And according to what I've heard, engineering is cheaper to level than BS.

Anyway, I don't know much about engineering, so I want to ask some questions to the experienced engineers and blacksmithers out there:

Should I do it? Should I change from BS to Engineering?
    What are the advantages and disavantages I get with this change?
    Is BS in WOTLK giving enough reasons to keep it? Or is engineering giving stronger reasons?
    How are BS and engineering looking in WOTLK, and which looks the best?
    What does BS gives that engineering doesn't, and vice-versa?
    What will be the best option for instancing / raiding / Arena / BGs / soloing?
    Is BS really more expensive and difficult to level than engineering?

Thanks if someone can answer my questions

Re: BS or Engineering?

Dont switch.

Sockets > Gimmick glove enchants

Most of the comments about BSing being more expensive include the phrase "if you're not a miner." You're a miner and you're already at level 364 of BS. It would be incredibly expensive to level Engineering, but not all that expensive to finish off BS as a miner.

I was 375 of Engineering (Combat Rogue) and dropped it for Leatherworking. Engineering has some cool low level AOE spells and some nice PvP items, but for raiding it has crap.

Personally, I'd stick with BS for now and see how the epic BS looks like once you get to level 80. *Then* if you still don't like it you can drop it and level Engineering. In the meantime it's got to be great for leveling from 70 to 80.

as far as i know engineering will give you nearly no advantages if your're looking for some useful buffs in concerns of raiding/pve. Every other profession does.
    Only this enchant:

Creates Hyperspeed Accelerators: Permanently attaches hyperspeed accelerators to a pair of gloves, allowing a skilled engineer to increase their haste rating by 340 for 8 sec. The gloves can only be activated every few minutes.
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=54999

it's bad compared to what you get as BS, LW, inscriptor and so on. even farming professions are getting very good stuff.

perhaps check http://wotlkwiki.info/index.php/Professions for more info.

Question depends on what you like:
    If you want to be in raids or arenas, stick with Blacksmith, and get it to 375.
    If you're casual and only do world pvp or bg's, engineering is more fun.

On a pure equipment basis, engineering has a helmet, while blacksmithing has weapons or a chest piece. You say that you can get gear from other means, but you have to keep in mind that before tier 6 and season 3 came out, they were the best weapons and helms in the game.

True, engineering has a lot of interesting and useful gimmicks that are a lot of fun. The problem is as soon as one looks good, blizzard bans it from arena (ie rocket boots). It also has interesting mounts if you're into that. And it'll only cost you about 1.5k gold to lvl to 375.

In wrath of the lich king,
    On the equipment basis, neither look too hot. The engineering helm and the BS weapons don't match up to tier 7.
    (Remember tier 7 is from the first set of raids in wolk, the burning crusade weapons and helms didn't get replaced until tier 6 the third set of raids in burning crusade.)

As druidftw pointed out though. Blacksmith are now able to put an extra meta gem socket in their chest or extra regular socket in their weapon. Thus if you get your weapons and armor from raiding or arena, you can always have the best gear +1.

Personally, I'm going enchanting, jc->bs. (Get max JC, make 10 of each BOP epic jc gem, throw them in the bank, and then drop it for blacksmithing.)

Thanks for the replies so far. Im now not thinking about dropping BS for engineering. But Im thinking about droping mining for engineering. I have no problem in leveling it again with another char. Yeah, I would miss the health increase, but screw it. What about this?

Quote Originally Posted by tankre

Personally, I'm going enchanting, jc->bs. (Get max JC, make 10 of each BOP epic jc gem, throw them in the bank, and then drop it for blacksmithing.)
    Going from JC for the BoP Gems -> BS won't work.

The gems won't give the bonus once you drop JC, even if they were socketed before you drop JC.

Just like Ring Enchants turn red, and fail to add the bonus, if you drop Enchanting.

Go to the PTR and try it. All BoP augments now fail to give their bonus once the profession is dropped, this includes inscriptions, fur lining, etc.

I'm personally glad Blizz is changing this come 3.0 so people aren't compelled to lvl and drop professions just to get the profession only perk.

Bumping this post 'cause I feel like asking (possibly again) if Engineering is that bad for pve on a prot warrior; I'm thinking of coupling it with BS, which would give me the Eng. goggles + rifle, then the armor stuff from BS + extra sockets etc.

The way I see it, mining has a fairly negligible buff, and the only other profession I was considering would be jewelcrafting (I already have an enchanter and don't think it's any good compared to bs/jc/eng), for the conveniance mainly, but the trinkets don't seem great for the moment (+ jc seems to be more work on the long run).

So, BS + Engineer? (with farming alt)

The gun is BoE, so unless the helm is better then 500 health from mining its not worth it.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xedriell
    as far as i know engineering will give you nearly no advantages if your're looking for some useful buffs in concerns of raiding/pve. Every other profession does.
    Only this enchant:

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=54999

it's bad compared to what you get as BS, LW, inscriptor and so on. even farming professions are getting very good stuff.

perhaps check http://wotlkwiki.info/index.php/Professions for more info.
    If this is true? sustained dps wins out everytime. Haste like this can lead to a massive threat jump and pull threat off a tank. Or have so much haste it becomes useless when ehaling.

I wouldn't forget that each proffesion still hasn't been finalised yet. Just look at BS, there's only one epic Mace atm and it is BoE plus it hasn't got a very unique name.