Question About Prot Pallys

I haven't been keeping up with all the new stuff, why are prot paladins using warrior weapons?

I heard we get Spell Damage from Stamina by 30%, so a warrior tanking weapon of 28 stam = 8.4 spell damage compared to my season 2 mace of 265 spell damage.

Why is everyone switching?

Re: Question About Prot Pallys

more white dmg, more dmg from hammer of the righteous, better tank stat (or hit/expertise rating) etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by mitchimitch
    more white dmg, more dmg from hammer of the righteous, better tank stat (or hit/expertise rating) etc etc
    But how will we be able to keep threat?

To my knowledge we are loosing 40% more threat on holy spells, then we would be losing spell damage from the weapon.

I have been a pally tank since the start of BC...I have full zula/badge gear and I've always used the S2 Spell Damage mace.

Are they buffing the threat from our skills? Or will the 30% spell damage from our stamina provide enough threat that we could use warriors weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Celles
    But how will we be able to keep threat?

To my knowledge we are loosing 40% more threat on holy spells, then we would be losing spell damage from the weapon.

I have been a pally tank since the start of BC...I have full zula/badge gear and I've always used the S2 Spell Damage mace.

Are they buffing the threat from our skills? Or will the 30% spell damage from our stamina provide enough threat that we could use warriors weapons?
    All of our tanking spells how how both a Spell Power and Attack Power coefficient. Personally if its over 3 mobs, I'll probably use a SP weapon for a crap ton of extra damage on consecrate, less than 3 mobs its a regular tanking weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Hammer of the Righteous
    Hammer the current target and up to 2 additional nearby targets, causing 3 times your main hand damage per second as Holy damage.
    6% of base mana, 5 yd range, Instant cast, 6 sec cooldown

spell power weapon hits for 126ish
    tank weapon hits for 300+

Val'anyr Completed: July 9
    Mimiron's Head
    Comablack @ magtheridon

HotR works far better off warrior weapons than a 41 dps spell damage mace.

Our spells scale with AP (including consecration) so get strength.
    Our BV scales far better with strength.

HotR and Shield slam make stacking hit and expertise much more important. Hit will also effect seals/judges.

Righteous Fury still puts the same threat multiplier on all our holy damage (and everything except white attacks is holy damage), Imp RF had that threat multiplier rolled into the base ability.

If your gear is where you says it is, most of it probably has strength on it instead of just pure mitigation or spell damage. Yes you're going to want to regem/enchant.

Basically they pulled a 180 on prot pally itemization.

To put this to rest, i honestly think spell dmg weaps are still better for prot pallies, sure hammer of righteous doesn't hit all that hard with sp dmg weaps, but your other skills benefit more from the sp dmg than AP or stam... the conversion sucks for prot pallies

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey
    All of our tanking spells how how both a Spell Power and Attack Power coefficient. Personally if its over 3 mobs, I'll probably use a SP weapon for a crap ton of extra damage on consecrate, less than 3 mobs its a regular tanking weapon.
    And dont forget that Shield of Righteousnes, and Hammer of the Righteous only benefit from Str, AP, and BV now and not anything with spell power.

Quote Originally Posted by conqq
    To put this to rest, i honestly think spell dmg weaps are still better for prot pallies, sure hammer of righteous doesn't hit all that hard with sp dmg weaps, but your other skills benefit more from the sp dmg than AP or stam... the conversion sucks for prot pallies
    maybe in tbc at 70. cause there is not tank wep with str. but in woltk most tank/dps 1.6, 1.8 have 30-50 str on it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Celles
    Umm no.

They rolled the extra threat from Imp Righteous Fury into the regular spell. All the talent does now is add the Mitigation do it.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo
    And dont forget that Shield of Righteousnes, and Hammer of the Righteous only benefit from Str, AP, and BV now and not anything with spell power.
    True, all the new goodies work off the new scaling concept, moving us farther away from spell power. But considering the AP/SP coefficient on spells like Consecration, and the fact that you aren't going to find 200+ AP on a tanking weapon, for large pulls (think Hyjal trash waves, or Felmyst air phase) that the initial threat bonus from a spell power heavy Consecrate, would mean we will still probably have spell power weapons along with our Tanking weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by conqq
    No it doesnt, it makes us single target tanks.

It does the exact thing that enchance shamans have doing through BC.

So go throught the 4 stages of grief.

Denial, Anger, Barganing, and Acceptance.

I hated it to begin with before BoSanc came out, and I realized how truly good we can be.