Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to make typhoon worthwhile?

Having played a couple of days under 3.0, I'm beginning to wonder why typhoon is there at all. It has fairly crap damage, and a crap effect. Sure it looks cool, but the only reason why I ever really use it is as a gimmick, and in the off-chance I can time it right to interrupt a cast (quite often seems to have no effect) which is difficult due to the delay, the time it takes for the spell to move, and latency.

So how could Typhoon actually be a worthwhile talent? I would assume the intention for the ability is to get melee classes off you for a short period, yet at the moment the small knock-back is a joke, as they're back within melee range within seconds.

How would I change it?

1) I would reduce the range of the spell quite substantially - if they're outside of 20yards say, we've got plenty of breathing space anyway.

2) I would change the way the "wave" mechanic works - i.e. instead of a wave eminating from the caster, I would have the spell instantly hit targets within the cone on cast - this would give it some utility as a spell interrupt, as it would actually react when you push the button.

3) I would increase the knockback effect - perhaps to 15yards.

4) I would introduce a daze effect after the knockback - i.e. dazes target for 2-3 seconds: this would assist in making the ability worthwhile as creating breathing room.

5) I would increase the cooldown on the spell to reflect its greater utility value and the power of some of its effects.

6) Possibly tweak the mana cost depending on how Blizzard values the relative spellpower/utility to mana ratio.

7) I would leave the damage as it is, or slightly reduce it: its reasonable damage, and should be used for utility rather than damage anyway - for the manacost we have far more efficient damage spells.

What do you think?

Re: How to make typhoon worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by mpohagan
    Having played a couple of days under 3.0, I'm beginning to wonder why typhoon is there at all. It has fairly crap damage, and a crap effect. Sure it looks cool, but the only reason why I ever really use it is as a gimmick, and in the off-chance I can time it right to interrupt a cast (quite often seems to have no effect) which is difficult due to the delay, the time it takes for the spell to move, and latency.

So how could Typhoon actually be a worthwhile talent? I would assume the intention for the ability is to get melee classes off you for a short period, yet at the moment the small knock-back is a joke, as they're back within melee range within seconds.

How would I change it?

1) I would reduce the range of the spell quite substantially - if they're outside of 20yards say, we've got plenty of breathing space anyway.

2) I would change the way the "wave" mechanic works - i.e. instead of a wave eminating from the caster, I would have the spell instantly hit targets within the cone on cast - this would give it some utility as a spell interrupt, as it would actually react when you push the button.

4) I would introduce a daze effect after the knockback - i.e. dazes target for 2-3 seconds: this would assist in making the ability worthwhile as creating breathing room.

5) I would increase the cooldown on the spell to reflect its greater utility value and the power of some of its effects.

6) Possibly tweak the mana cost depending on how Blizzard values the relative spellpower/utility to mana ratio.

7) I would leave the damage as it is, or slightly reduce it: its reasonable damage, and should be used for utility rather than damage anyway - for the manacost we have far more efficient damage spells.

What do you think?

i think the knock back is fine
    i think they need to make the knock back happen immediatly when its cast
    i think they need to add a "knockdown" effect to it, not a stun, not a daze, they just cant move

Why do you think the knockback is fine? I presume that you mean the distance seeing as though you then argue for an added effect.

By the "knockdown" effect, do you mean something along the lines of the root effect of feral charge? While your "root" effect would improve the current distance on the knockback, I would personally prefer them to be knocked back further - I do understand though, that there are implications with this regarding the time taken to get knocked back. The further you get knocked back, the longer it takes, and therefore the longer you are effectively cc'd for (especially as a caster)

If it is literally a "knockdown" effect in that they are rooted while they are "climbing to their feet" then it will in effect be a stun as they wouldn't be able to cast - I was thinking along the lines of a daze in that it seems a more fitting consequence of being slapped in the face with a wave, while allowing casting and limited movement.

He was referring to the knockdown effect that NPCs can sometimes use on you. If you've tanked much at 70 you'd know what he was talking about as there are plenty of dungeon mobs that do it.

I hope they reduce the cost of mana of typhoon and the cold down a bitt.
    I would like to see typhoon like shamans "shock skill"

yes, this would be great.

went to BT yesterday, I think it worked realy great as a starter, Hurricane, then SF spam if its not enough mobs to hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by Dropsdruid
    i like typhoon the way it is, it knocks ppl away and gives u nuff time to cast a wrath+mf or a cyclone...or knock them down at places like LM, EotS flag, AV Towers ect...

and for PvE...just dont spec it then theres no prob

knock back needs to be bigger

i was playing with my elemental shaman today and lemme tell you thunderstorm is >>>>>>>>> than typhoon except for the lengthly cooldown on TS

20 yard knock back is super amplified if at the end of the 20 yards there is a hill... i knocked someone off draenei ruins in EoTS from about where the flag is all the way off the cliff at the corner of the bridge. I also knocked 3 ppl off defending the flag at the center along with a couple flag carriers... its amazing and its the most fun ive ever had on a pvp char so far 45 secs is just too long to wait

While I do agree that Typhoon needs another/larger effect, It shouldn't be nearly as large as Thunderstorm. Typhoon has half the CD, can crit to proc our new moonkin effect, and does a decent amount of damage. I think either A.) Increase the Knockback to 10 yards or B.) Have it cause a Daze effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum
    While I do agree that Typhoon needs another/larger effect, It shouldn't be nearly as large as Thunderstorm. Typhoon has half the CD, can crit to proc our new moonkin effect, and does a decent amount of damage. I think either A.) Increase the Knockback to 10 yards or B.) Have it cause a Daze effect.

with crappy gear my thunderstorm crits for almost 3k ( shamans have a ton of crit % too so thats often)
    knocks back 20 yards (further depending on terrain like jumping off a mount while moving)
    45 sec CD
    restores 5% mana (soon 8%)
    can proc clearcasting
    can proc oath

typhoon needs some love

Quote Originally Posted by MortuariusBC

with crappy gear my thunderstorm crits for almost 3k ( shamans have a ton of crit % too so thats often)
    knocks back 20 yards (further depending on terrain like jumping off a mount while moving)
    45 sec CD
    restores 5% mana (soon 8%)
    can proc clearcasting
    can proc oath

typhoon needs some love
    Typhoon is fine, I have both an ele shammie and a boomkin.

Thunderstorm is our 51 point talent, Typhoon is the 41 point Talent AND we get Treants as well. You cannot expect a 41 point to be as strong as a 51 point. You're just asking to get slapped. lol

Give shamans treants, and then we can have equal to thunderstorm. Seriously =P I can murder any class in a few seconds using treants <_< 400-500 a hit from each one...

HOWEVER, Typhoon really needs a lower mana cost.

i wouldnt mind a greater knockback effect on typhoon, but i still find uses for it.
    When I'm trying to nuke a healer it really helps on the interupt. Also, that 2 sec free cast against a melee is plenty of time to get a quick wrath or a root in. Add the glyph of the root or whatever it is and its a good oppurtunity to get in some nice damage.

typhoon is fine

/watches a mage flies off the edge of eye of the storm

All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMoonkin
    typhoon is fine

/watches a mage flies off the edge of eye of the storm

wow they gotta be standing pretty close for that... ill have to spec out of resto and try boomkin this weekend

thunderstorm i found amazingly ez to knock ppl off... i knocked 4-5 ppl off the LM cliff last night in the first rush to cap in AB. Me and a ret pally took 4-5 ppl down... lol literally

knocking the flag carrier off the center of eots is still my favorite though

How would I change it?

What do you think?

¨

I think the spell is totaly usfull and fine as it is. You can knock back enemys on edges of bridge towers etc etc. And if it does interup spells nice and its good instant damage solid 1k+ on multpile targets...

Instant damage and knock back would be fine. But those who call it useless as it stands are just not using the gray matter. Once you learn how to aim it, the spell is great for AOEing in instances and awesome for situational "cliff kills". It's also saved my ass numerous times in PvP and PvE by buying me some time.

Typhoon, root, heal.
    Trust the tale not the teller.

On spending a few more days pvping I concede that its not so bad as it is. I have found it to somewhat useful in interrupting casts and adding some quick burst (haven't pve'd with it yet). My frustration with the melee zerg stands, though - I've found it is rarely effective on someone in melee range. Further away I've found it very useful as if I combine it with immediately travelling away from the target, by the time it hits them I can have some very decent distance on them.

Interestingly, it seems to have a chance to knock people off their mounts. I find that pretty fun

i think typhoon is pretty damned good for what it is ... as for the melee zerg thing, you also have barkskin, cyclone, roots, natures grasp (trainable), 370% armor.

41 point talent, 20 second cooldown, 1000+ dmg that can crit on multiple targets, 5 yard knockback that will act as an annoyance ... i dont see a problem here at all (exept when i screw up the targetting and miss stuff )

The "barkskin, cyclone, roots, natures grasp (trainable), 370% armour" is a good point, but so far they don't seem to be stopping my getting raped by rogues (I won't even mention ret pallies). With 415-ish resi, 11.6k hp and in boomkin form I seem to be more than half dead by the time KS wears off...and with CoS still in reserve. Starfall for unstealthing them is pretty sweet though

The "wave" nature of the spell I'm finding both fun (its fun timing it) and irritating as it seems to apply a bit inconsistently. While an instant effect on cast would be great as an interrupt and for timing, it'd have to have some implications for the range of the spell.

Judgments are worthless right now anyway with the current imbalances, I guess. It'd be interesting to see how survivability scales at 80.

greenmasheen

it would be nice if the conal area was slightly increased and the failure rate decreased... i use it in conjunction with either cyclone, roots, or just a random spell like wrath.