Spirit for Moonkins?

I recently decided to play moonkin, and had some gear that was considered healing gear pre 3.0.2, but now that all gear has spell power and moonkins get 15% of our spirit as spell power, will anyone be using 5 spell power 4 spirit gems for blue sockets? For example, I have these boots with two of those gems in them, http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=28752

I am working on badge gear with more crit on it, but seeing as though spirit gives spell power and mp5, are those gems good for moonkins?

Also with the change to balance of power (now 4%), how much spell hit from gear do we need for lvl 73 bosses?

Thanks!

Re: Spirit for Moonkins?

From SSC and up you need 152 Spell Hit to cap it if you have talent

Quote Originally Posted by buch3r
    I recently decided to play moonkin, and had some gear that was considered healing gear pre 3.0.2, but now that all gear has spell power and moonkins get 15% of our spirit as spell power, will anyone be using 5 spell power 4 spirit gems for blue sockets? For example, I have these boots with two of those gems in them, http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=28752

I am working on badge gear with more crit on it, but seeing as though spirit gives spell power and mp5, are those gems good for moonkins?

Also with the change to balance of power (now 4%), how much spell hit from gear do we need for lvl 73 bosses?

Thanks!
    Balance of Power always was 4%. I really don't think moonkins will be stacking much spirit over Mp5 at 70 though. Unless you go down for intensity and OoC, it's not really worth it as you would get no Mp5 and very little damage. If you do skip over Starfall for now and get Intensity and OoC though, spirit is mother fucking AWSOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum
    Balance of Power always was 4%. I really don't think moonkins will be stacking much spirit over Mp5 at 70 though. Unless you go down for intensity and OoC, it's not really worth it as you would get no Mp5 and very little damage. If you do skip over Starfall for now and get Intensity and OoC though, spirit is mother fucking AWSOME.
    I've got a very in-depth spreadsheet for calculating boomkin DPS and what stats to go for, including checking various spell rotations & specs to determine what's best, and from what it looks the best rotation & spec is to use Glyph of Moonfire & Glyph of Starfire and spam Starfire the whole fight. The spec I use for this includes OOC & Intensity (mainly down that tree for Master Shapeshifter & Furor), and with this rotation Spirit still isn't all that fantastic - you're far better off stacking Int instead. It has so many benefits now, including mana regen, crit %, total mana increase, increased spell power, and if you go for Dreamstate it gives MP5 too.

From my spreadsheet I'd reckon the stat priorities are SpellHit, SpellHaste, SpellPower, Intellect, SpellCrit, Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Current hitcap is now 164 I believe since they removed the 1% unmodifiable chance to miss. That means that we can now hit 100% of the time by getting a total of +17% hit. So that gives 164 to hit with maxed Balance of power or 114 if specced in to improved fairy fire and you keep it up for the entire fight.

Deleted

Dargoth is right on hit.

Regarding gems, stacking stats is very rarely a good solution for casters, you might have some synergies with them but you'll still get more damage from haste or pure spell power than you'll get from stats (though it might make us look a bit harder at some socket bonuses).
    Depending on your amount of spell power and mana regen, gem either for pure spell damage or spell damage + haste.

As for templates, until the expansion you won't get any in combat regen from spirit because Intensity is out of reach at level 70 (for a raiding template at least). E&M being where it is in our talent tree and being a raiding core talent, we can't go high up in resto. And since the new mana regeneration mecanics mean we can do without it anyway...
    I did my first post-patch 25-man raid yesterday (up to RoS in 2h before server went down...) with my sole regen talents being 1/3 moonglow and 5/5 furor. I only had to pot once (Gurtogg, i helped healing p2 which probably wasn't needed at all), and never used my innervate on myself.

I think what ppl are missing is 2 things

1) at level 80 much of the gear has spirit on it
    2) spirit is now beneficial and helps both balance and resto scale
    3) balance now scale damage with spi and int

its still not best to stack spirit but having some on your gear will no longer be useless

15+ Year Old Account

The hit rating USED to be 202 with 0/2 BoP, these are the new numbers:

215 hit rating no taletns/abilities

190 1/2 BoP 15+2%
    177 0/2 BoP + SP/IFF 14+3%
    164 2/2 BoP 13+4%
    152 1/2 BoP + SP/IFF 12+2+3%
    127 2/2 BoP + SP/IFF 10+4+3%

This does not take into account the 1% dranai racial though.

I spec'd Boomkin for a kara badge run last night for the first time. I am in mostly well fair epics but have a couple of pve pieces. I think i was running at about 200 spirit. Any hoo i took intensity in my spec and literally i could not use my mana. This was the fastest run i have ever seen, we cleared in 1 hour 17 minutes, full clear, and i don't think i ever saw my mana drop below 50% and I never drank.

btw for all you arena healers out there did about 890 DPS which is respectable so dont be afraid to respec and switch to boomkin in ur healing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilt
    That's an interesting subject you bring up. Do the Dranei Racials affect the whole raid like all other auras now do or are they still party only?

Quote Originally Posted by Eilt
    The hit rating USED to be 202 with 0/2 BoP, these are the new numbers:

215 hit rating no taletns/abilities

190 1/2 BoP 15+2%
    177 0/2 BoP + SP/IFF 14+3%
    164 2/2 BoP 13+4%
    152 1/2 BoP + SP/IFF 12+2+3%
    127 2/2 BoP + SP/IFF 10+4+3%

You're quite right, damn my mental arithmetic going haywire and dropping a percentage point at the end there.

And I skipped the Dranai talent because I'm Horde and I completely forgot it existed.