Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Shock Question

So a friend of mine and I are doing the Recruit a Friend thing. Trying to get him a 55+ toon on my server before WotLK.

Anywho, both of us want to level up a Paladin (actually he may go Druid but w/e)

My question is....

Is a Holy Shock build viable?

He'll be the DPS machine as either Druid or Pally (Feral or Ret) so I'd like to provide some utility through heals, but still be able to contribute to the damage.

Has anyone played around with Holy Shock and all the talents for it? You can talent it for increased damage, crit chance, etc.

But is it worth it?

Let me also say that I plan to level Ret for speed/damage, but am wondering if re-speccing Holy Shock once that talent becomes available is viable.

I'm not talking best DPS or whatever... don't really care about that, like I said just trying to provide some utility to increase leveling speed and reduce downtime.

Deleted

Re: Holy Shock Question

Shockadin doesn't seem a viable build to me. Go either ret or holy. I have fun with 40 yard judgements and spamming holy shock every six seconds and healing people in the meantime...but that's what kind of playstyle I happen to enjoy. If you are looking for high dps then definitely go ret.

That's the thing I'm not looking for high DPS.

Looking to heal my leveling partner and myself to keep downtime to a minimum, but still want to be able to do SOME damage.

Deleted

Well, holy paladin CAN do some damage but it ain't much. Blizzard knows this and they've said they will be buffing holy paladin DPS, they just don't know how and when..

Hopefully before Nov 13th.

gooo ret to lvl they can heal fine and have infinite mana

I lvled up with the Holy Shock/ Seal of Command build.

May still work.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Yeah I just want to try something different/interesting to level with ya know?

Would ya'll recommend 2H or 1H/Shield for a Shockadin build?

Does Seal of Righteousness grant more damage per hit for 1H or 2H?

I was thinking something like this for my 60 Shockadin build:

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sVAzxrzhizMxRt

Let me know what you think. *note: I've only played a pally to lvl 31 previously so my experience w/ the class is very limited*

heerobya, I have two recommendations.
    1) 1h + shield. Seal of Righteousness does more damage for slower weapons, but with faster weapons it hits more often. So a 1h weapon produces similar damage with a couple advantages. Primarily the added block and armor of a shield, but also your dps will suffer less if you miss with a 1h.
    2) Take the two points out of purifying power and put them in Light's Grace. Then move one more point so you get the full 3/3 Light's Grace (maybe from Conc aura). If you ever have to chain cast Holy Light, you'll want it as fast as possible.

Thank you much for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by heerobya
    So a friend of mine and I are doing the Recruit a Friend thing. Trying to get him a 55+ toon on my server before WotLK.

Anywho, both of us want to level up a Paladin (actually he may go Druid but w/e)

My question is....

He'll be the DPS machine as either Druid or Pally (Feral or Ret) so I'd like to provide some utility through heals, but still be able to contribute to the damage.

Has anyone played around with Holy Shock and all the talents for it? You can talent it for increased damage, crit chance, etc.

But is it worth it?

Let me also say that I plan to level Ret for speed/damage, but am wondering if re-speccing Holy Shock once that talent becomes available is viable.

I'm not talking best DPS or whatever... don't really care about that, like I said just trying to provide some utility to increase leveling speed and reduce downtime.
    IMHO i vote staying ret and going strait for judgements of the wise once you have that you will be able to hand out plenty of heals for lvling and have 0 down time and sence you feral druid budy will have 0 down time aswell i think this is your best bet

i played a shockadin right before BC after respeccing 40/0/21 to get sactity aura, the dps burst was good, but now its a whole different ball game.

at 60 i wouldnt go 51 into holy just because you can, however beacon of light can be useful you could put your talents elsewhere to benefit your leveling a little easier. ret will still be the fastest dps for paladins but heres something you might like at 60.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sEA0x0zhVuMZZVf0h

with that youll get holy shock and a bunch of crit chance from the ret tree, you should be able to heal instances rather well if needed as well. youll also have insta-flash of lights after the next patch when you crit with a holy shock, which should be a lot.

my current build at 70 is 43/0/18 and i like it, ill like it a lot more when they buff holy damage but having 6 second holy shock cooldowns is fantastic compared to the 15 sec it was.

in all honesty though youre better off leveling as full ret, as it its a hell of a lot more powerful, you just wont be able to heal an instance or anything.

In my mind, the only valid argument for leveling as ret/prot as opposed to holy shock is gearing. Now that we're expected to wear the same gear as warriors, finding decent plate upgrades is easy. Trying to gear for shockadin pre-outlands will mean lots of cloth. And even decent cloth caster gear is hard to get.

Now once you hit 58 and get to outlands, that all changes. Until then, I'd say ret until 40, then prot (if you prefer prot) until 58, then holy (if you prefer holy).

Quote Originally Posted by heerobya

My question is....

But is it worth it?

Yes and no.

If you have some method of keeping mana up while fighting its a very possible offensive build. If your friend could kill an NPC w/o needing a heal you could just top him/her off after the fight. If you needed to switch duties mid-fight you could choose that route assuming your not taking on too many hits yourself (and they can actually hold aggro from your meager dps, hehe).

If they really boost Holy DPS as they are hinting at you could conceivably use Seal of Right/Corrupt and Judge Wisdom for mana regen/dmg. Keeping Blessing of Wisdom would help keep mana up during the fight. If you have the mana to burn you can shock accordingly. If your running low while shocking you could switch to Seal of Wisdom/Judge of Wisdom/Bless of Wisdom and see if the 6-second shocks increases dps over having SoR or SoCorruption damage ticking away.

If your in love with the concept of Shock its possible but you have to be smart and micro-manage your mana bar like a Rage hungry warrior. The first time your at 30% mana from over-shocking and can't throw heals its going to be a sad day on the farm for you and your bud.

They could very well re-tool Holy's DPS to give us another 20-30% dmg (which would be like 700 dps on the best day, rofl) which would make the concept of "Holy DPS" more plausible. We won't ever see Deep Holy Pallies in 5-man groups or Raids as DPS slots but at least the Shock/Judge dmg would make sense to keep up.

PS: The game isn't too hard these days. I soloed from 62-70 as Protection and had fun being superhero strong (and killing awfully slow). I also did dailies as Prot and went rookie shockadin for fun at 70. Any build will kill things and can heal (especially these days!), however don't forget which class is designed to do each job. At least if your looking for an ounce of efficiency.

15+ Year Old Account

The OP is asking about leveling a Paladin TO 55. Therefore they are under lvl 55.

Under lvl 58 Holy is really gimped due to absence of gear. This is generally why nobody levels as holy from 11-58.

After 58 with outlands spell power gear it is completely viable with a holy/ret build. But since you will be stampeding your way to 70 just skip it since healers are generally speced to heal PVP or instances. Both of which you will probably be skipping.

level as Ret or Prot to aoe grind.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

If you're going to level with a feral druid, my suggestion is have him go bear and spam swipe. You can throw up Judgment of Light (The one that heals attacker) while you spam consecrate. The two of you should be able to AoE grind 4 to 5 mobs together easily with minimal downtime. And it's always fun to see all those numbers fly up.

Thanks for the continued advice.

Another question: With 300% xp and a 70 rogue on another account to powerlevel us (hurray duel boxxing) ...

... should we quest or just grind mobs/instance runs to level the fastest?

We've both played through 1-60 content way too many times and just want to get to 60 asap....

Thanks in advance, again.

Quote Originally Posted by shockpally
    The OP is asking about leveling a Paladin TO 55. Therefore they are under lvl 55.

Under lvl 58 Holy is really gimped due to absence of gear. This is generally why nobody levels as holy from 11-58.

After 58 with outlands spell power gear it is completely viable with a holy/ret build. But since you will be stampeding your way to 70 just skip it since healers are generally speced to heal PVP or instances. Both of which you will probably be skipping.

level as Ret or Prot to aoe grind.
    I found that quest exp was FAR better than any "grinding exp" which you could ever get with a Prot/Shield Spike setup. AoE grinding looks cool but even with the Demon Hunter Initiates (which you can pull 15+ at once due to location and pathing) the exp is crappy and the loot is even worse.

If your trying to level by way of questing and grouping its better to get a quest add-on and spend less time exploring and aggro'ing random mobs, while spending more time pinning objectives for the quest. If this is the case the kill speed of Ret/+ another member vs Holy/+ another member isn't as big of a deal as making sure both people stay alive. Corpse runs is a huge time sink.

Kill speed deep Ret is quite a bit better than deep Holy in the early levels and while the spread separates (a little) it never does by too much. Unless they increase Holy dps substantially it will never scale even close as it does with Ret. Kill-per-kill time and the mana it takes to do so will stay less effective with the only trade-off being survivability.

Then again, play the game you want. Getting to 70 was a cake walk for me as Prot and still only took a few months (my first time). Once I got there it wasn't quite as fun as I thought it would be and now I'm sure the next 10 levels will fly by leaving only PvP and Raiding. Enjoy the game at your own pace but know that a Patch 3.0+ or WotLK "Shockadin" will never be a Ret unless Blizzard changes their mindset.

Yeah but with +300% xp, would this increased XP for killing from grinding outweigh the time spent traveling between quests/town etc.?

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Hello OP,

Me, as a paladin myself AM currently Holy Shock specced.
    Some people call me noob because it died...well im telling you right here.

IT LIVES

I usually come around second or third in dmg dealt using this build:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...00000000000000

Vengeance........Will proc a whole damn lot!! Because of the new way crit is calculated your spell critical strike rating boosts your melee crit rating a whole heap. And besides, you want a fast healing weapon for this. Think about it, 9% holy damage...on holy shock? omg? ME WANTS!

already got 22% holy shock critical strike chance without even touching gear man..

Gearwise?
    Just get the most spelldamage you can find. But always use either plate(40+) or mail (40-) dont wear leather or cloth just because it has 1 more spellpower.

Spells?
    Use SoR, and JoW to keep your mana up, and just spam holy shock. Don't use consecration unless there are more then 3 mobs. The mana cost is high and your not getting outside heals, so no mana refilling besides JoW.

WAI!?
    Well, for instance, your holy shock and judgement spells will pwn peoples asses. I usually get ignored in pvp for the first 3 seconds. But after realizing a 2.5kholy shock and a 1.8k judgement gets blasted in their face they wake up . And ofcourse i raid as well, what i normally do with bosses which dont have aoe, i use SoW, and go melee :P!! Ofc i toss heals. Mostly Holy Shocks since they kickass with this spec! And btw, this spec is a hell of alot more fun then the 51/10/0 spec! With this spec you become a Shield(yes shield! Hard to kill aight ?) of mass destruction !

80?!?!?!?!?!
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...00000000000000

Hell yeah baby, with this insane amount of crit on judgement and holy shock ill be spamming instants everywhere!! Who needs concentration aura anyway xD?! And Replenishment will be sure to keep me going...and going...and going...SEE WUT I DIT THAR!??

POWER TO THE SHOCKADIN!!!

(btw i aint trollin' :P! I mean serious business, don't believe me? Fight me and prepare for ...CLEAR! SHOOOOCCK!!!!)
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~