Paladin AE healing

Hello.

Well, today i was about to go Naxx 10 man. I saw that they had a resto Shaman in their raid group, and their last spot was a healer.
    So i asked nicely if i could join then, but the RL answered : " No, we perfer a druid or shaman. Sorry "
    Seriously, im seeing this already now that other healing classes is chosen over holy Paladins, most likely because paladins is lacking the
    ability to heal up multiple targets at once (more than 2)

Anyone else seen this too ?
    Im not sure if im posting at the right forum, so please tell me if there is a better place to post this. Thanks

Re: Paladin AE healing

I have seen plenty of this going around since launch of vanilla WoW. Some people are min/maxer, and some just wants to be carried through an instance. Perception and misinformation is everything to a lot of these people. PreBC, I played a boomkin for a while. My mage friend and hunter friend thought I was a retard for doing so.
    So I proceeded to Moonfire spam them down in PvP, over, and over, and over again.
    The moral of the story here is that people have their own perception of what works, and what's broken. And most of the time, they are wrong about what is broken.

There was a blue post earlier about devs sucking up and admitting that holy paladins need some kind of AE. Expect changes soon.

I've been playing a Holy Paladin for much, much longer then I intended (I leveled him originally to be a tank...sigh..) and I gotta say, this has been going on for a long time. With all the amazing new abilities given to the other healer classes, it doesn't surprise me that it is going on in level 80 content. While we might be fantastic at single target healing, there's only so much fame that goes with that. Tanks might like us a lot, but that's about it. Every other healing class has HoTs and some sort of AE heal, and while I get keeping classes unique, quite frankly that goes out the window if keeping me unique keeps me from raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    There was a blue post earlier about devs sucking up and admitting that holy paladins need some kind of AE. Expect changes soon.

Not quite, the blue post said *if* not for sure:

Holy spec AE Healing
    We have resisted giving Holy a true AE heal in order to reinforce differentiation among the healing classes. But if needing an AE turns out to be something that every healer needs, just like every tank need an AE, then we'll man up and give it to them. "Deemed by the devs" is key though. We're not going to do it just because the community asks for it. But we will at least listen to your logic.

My main is a Prot Pally, but I somehow stumbled onto a Holy Spec to fill the void of healers.

That said, I've done every heroic and raid in Northrend and I think the lack of AE makes my job harder, but not impossible. And I've definitely never been turned away from a group.

That said, I would much prefer one of the AE healing classes in my 10man raids.

It wont take away much class differentiation as all other healing classes already got some kind of AE heal, so i think its a pretty weak argument, and if you look back at TBC its already proven that paladins needs an AE heal. for example: i had alot of troubles healing mgt hc pre-nerf, now its better but still very hard.
    What often happens in AE situations , some of my targets nearly die when im healing the rest up and for me it takes alot of the fun away from healing as a Paladin. Also i do suspect that Blizzard is looking too much on numbers when it comes to this, Judgement Of Light for example, will give me alot of extra healing done in raids, but it doesnt prove that im a more useful healer for my raid.

15+ Year Old Account

seriously..thats just bullcrap. been in swp now(which is pretty lame now imo), and with all the talents i COULD be #1 on healing. flasheal on 0.9 cast and HL on 1.2 cast + holy shock and not to forget Bacon which just about doubles the healing i do -this is without bloodlust or drums- i could end up around 4k hps. ill see if i can find a wws from it

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by makketota
    It wont take away much class differentiation as all other healing classes already got some kind of AE heal, so i think its a pretty weak argument, and if you look back at TBC its already proven that paladins needs an AE heal. for example: i had alot of troubles healing mgt hc pre-nerf, now its better but still very hard.
    What often happens in AE situations , some of my targets nearly die when im healing the rest up and for me it takes alot of the fun away from healing as a Paladin. Also i do suspect that Blizzard is looking too much on numbers when it comes to this, Judgement Of Light for example, will give me alot of extra healing done in raids, but it doesnt prove that im a more useful healer for my raid.

H MGT pre-nerf is difficult (main trouble for me was the 2nd boss, and it was mostly the strat problem), but not undoable. In fact, I've walked out alive with no death many times before it got nerfed. I've stopped playing for awhile since, but if you gave me Bacon of Light, I wouldn't have a problem, consider most of the time, it was 2 people taking critical spike damage that I couldn't manage to keep both up in one cast duration, BoL solved that very problem I have in HMGT, and it will quite literally turn it into easy mode.

BUT that said, we still need some form of AE heals, and I don't think it will take long for Blizzard to realize that they have to implement it. The trend in wrath instances is very simple to forecast. Instances will be rated by how hard the AE spells are gonna hit.

"class differentiation" is a weak argument.

We need some form of HoT. Sacred shield is a good spell to work on, it can be made into a lesser "Bacon of Light", taking any heals you've made as a form of HoT. If mana is an issue, then transform this idea and merge it with a PvE talent of some sort.

you know, something like that that will differentiate us from druids and other healers. It's about playing style, giving us the taste. Doesn't have to be powerful, but we definitely need that kind of skill.

Ran a quick ZA last night with two Druid healers last night and myself (Holy Pally) for shits n giggles. Basically I was entirely useless throughout trash fights so I decided to DPS (700 dps is hilarious fyi), but when it came to boss fights I held up against them both. In fact I out healed them on all but Dragonhawk boss (died lol).

I do find it increasingly difficult though to really compete with any AoE healer at all in raids during trash but when it comes to single target boss fights I tend to out perform simply because I'm supposed to. So when it comes down to it since our niche is single targets, we're doing fine but I do think we need an AoE Heal simply for 5 mans, because even with Beacon of Light it still seems like certain situations tend to be hard, i.e.: people who are under geared/terrible, people who pull aggro and are squishy etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Ya I must admit I am fearful of them adding an AE heal to my arsenal, because i just dont see how the could justify it with out toning down some of my other spells , like turning up the cooldown on shock. but if they do slip up and add some AE function with out nerfing some other stuff then watch out for the good holy pallys in pvp they will be next to godly
    IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BREWBIZZLE
    Ya I must admit I am fearful of them adding an AE heal to my arsenal, because i just dont see how the could justify it with out toning down some of my other spells , like turning up the cooldown on shock. but if they do slip up and add some AE function with out nerfing some other stuff then watch out for the good holy pallys in pvp they will be next to godly
    IMHO.
    Lol I highly doubt an AE heal would help very much in Arena, and BG's are currently too much of a joke for it to matter. On the other hand, increasing our mobility while using HL and FoL to the point of not being interrupted, that would make us godly.

The moral of the story here is that people have their own perception of what works, and what's broken. And most of the time, they are wrong about what is broken.
    This may true, but the fact that it's true won't help you if you get left out of groups. Leveling as a holy pally in WoTLK with our low dps, and few groups, will take some time but we'll all make it. When we get to 25 mans there will be a raid spot for one holy pally in each raid. There maybe 8 healers there 3 of this and 2 of that, but they won't loading extra pallys because of our inablity to HoT and AoE. If your a holy pally you had better be the best holy pally in your guild and if you have more than 2 holy pallys someone had better respec. If you have 3 or 4 priest this will be ok because a pally can be replaced by a priest, but not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipii12
    Lol I highly doubt an AE heal would help very much in Arena, and BG's are currently too much of a joke for it to matter. On the other hand, increasing our mobility while using HL and FoL to the point of not being interrupted, that would make us godly.
    I agree it would be crap for arena but it could be very powerfull in BG's , and what to you mean BG's are to much of a joke for it to matter?

Let me put this in a different perspective - as shamans & priests both got strong AE heals they should lack the ability to heal single targets then because Blizzard wants more class diversity ? ( of course this wouldn't work well, but you got my point ? )

Quote Originally Posted by makketota
    Let me put this in a different perspective - as shamans & priests both got strong AE heals they should lack the ability to heal single targets then because Blizzard wants more class diversity ? ( of course this wouldn't work well, but you got my point ? )
    In a technical sense they both do, their heals cost considerably more for single targets than ours do. Like that matters tho anyway, Shamans are still powerful single target healers just not as good as paladins..if that honestly means anything anyway I'd rather take a Shaman healer than a Paladin healer for certain heroics any day if I was on my other toons....it shouldn't be like that though.

What i also see now is that disc priest are awesome single target healers now, maybe even better than paladins with the patch. It gets very boring as a holy paladin nowdays, other healing classes have alot of different abilites etc. that they can use situational. We are just limited to 1-3 heals all the time.