why a potion cooldown in combat?

I personally leveled alchemy specifically for the final trinket to help my mana in raids.
    40% + to a SINGLE potion in a boss fight seems really crappy.
    I don't see the reasoning behind only 1 potion per combat--especially on long boss fights.
    Giving classes the things like mana replenishment doesn't really offset the use of mana pots.

Am i missing something?

Re: why a potion cooldown in combat?

The part where you get a 50% bonus on all elixirs and flasks, as well as doubled time? Thats about it though.

It's a 40% bonus, but yes you are missing something. You're missing the research you should have done before leveling alchemy on how potions work in combat as of patch 3.0.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

I was alchemy on my healing toons long before 3.0 was even mentioned.
    I'm still wondering why suddenly its ok to nerf the basis of a trinket--and potion mastery in general.
    Yay i can proc 5 for 1...on something that suddenly isnt nearly as useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    It's a 40% bonus, but yes you are missing something. You're missing the research you should have done before leveling alchemy on how potions work in combat as of patch 3.0.
    Your assuming he just/recently finished leveling alchemy. He could have been an alchemist for a year now.

And your missing something as well: At no point did you answer his question. What's the reasoning behind one pot per battle.

Not only are you assuming, but your being an uninformative dick. Not everyone has time to research every incoming possible change to Warcraft. Maybe he had stuff to do like work, school, life outside his basement?

I'm not sure why they changed it either - Although I could venture a guess along the lines of -
    past raid encounters relying *HEAVILY* on pot consumption +
    blizzards further attempts to move further into casual territory +
    recent mechanic changes negating the need for pot spam
    etc...
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Blizzard has already explained, in pretty minute detail, why the potion change was made. Again, 5 minutes of research would have removed the need for this thread, but I'll not do it for you.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

actually thats the main reason i made the post--ive found it difficult wading through the QQ to find a blizzard response about the mana potion. can you point me in the right direction? i even tried the blue tracker thing--but ya--i fail.

I have a few reasons for the nerf.

Blizz doesn't want people to "abuse" their system by doing things like downranking spells and gearing differently but chain popping mana potions for maximum effect.

They don't want people to feel the need to farm for a raid.

They don't want to make encounters with mana potting in mind.

They want to make raiding easier.

They want to make the game easier.

They want to force everyone to wear the same gear, lessen raid min/maxing, thus managing encounters better by knowing everyone's maximum mp5.

They listen to QQing from people that can't buy 60 mana pots for a raid with gold that is easier than ever to get.

They hate alchemy clearly after nerfing it into the ground such that only alts should have this profession.

They want to increase average bagspace.

They want to stepwise nerf alchemy into the ground and then remove all consumables except fish from the game in order to make every dps class more equal... Keeping the fish food buff because otherwise there would be no reason to fish.

I think the answer is up there somewhere.

the only thing that would change is there will no longer be my old tactic to farm herbs on satureday+sunday and spam the AH on monday(most of the guilds don't attempt serious raid instances on weekends except if we're talking for a 24/7 reiding guild and there are 1 to 2 max 3 such guilds on a realm IMO) and make 700+ gold from mana pots only... and i as an alchemist think it was time to nerf the "mana pot gold income". but there are still elixirs and flasks which are much more expencive to make, or at least the herbs aren't in the "can be farmed easily while farming reputation, gold or primal life" category, and cost much more ofc. i admit even though a stack of mana pots was Xtremely cheap compared to other pots/elixirs you could make but it was bought on the minute. you will just have to dedicate more time to farm herbs... nothing else

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD
    Not only are you assuming, but your being an uninformative dick. Not everyone has time to research every incoming possible change to Warcraft. Maybe he had stuff to do like work, school, life outside his basement?
    really you dont have the time to check the changes about your class, your professions and general changes? lol
    i did checked all the class changes, all the profession and all the other changes i found listed, in a few hours
    if you have school do your homework dont play wow, if you have work do your work, if you have to live outside of your basement why are you still in there?
    ok i dont wanna continue with flames

as other allready stated blizzard made the changes to stop the pot drinking on cooldown in encounters. it is actually a help for al those guys who were farming ingredients for all those damned potions(they encounters are now modified to allow them not to farm all day long). it is also a problem for all those alchemists that now dont have a source of income, considering that the other classes dont need the alchemist products either.

i really think it's a bad ideea to make this change(very bad actually).

it would have been a way better ideea to make the debuff proc with a chance depending on the time past after your potion cooldown has endeed. i.e. if you drink the second after your cooldown is off you will have a 90% chance of proc the potion debuff and if you do it after 1 minute you will have 5%... this should proc only in combat. seems as a better ideea imo there will still be potions used in the game but you will not spam them on cooldown, unless really needed, in wich case you will know you will not have the chance for another potion in the same encounter

Makes no difference to the raid experience, its like the old patchwerk encounter which caused the nerfing of stacking every flask and buff pot in game. They either tune the encounters so you /need/ stupid ammounts of pots, or they tune the encounters so you don't. I'd rather not have to go farm "1 pot every 2 minutes per boss" tbh.

Potions aren't going away. Sure they might not be so dominant in the success/failure of a fight, but hey thats cool. How about we make it based on the skill of the players rather than how many hours they can be arsed to go pick flowers for? Novel concept I know!

Gotta love the "now I only get my chance of proccing making 5 pots for the ingredients of one", nice whine. Most profs dont have anything anywhere near as cool as that (blacksmithing until now, enchanting until the rings enchants, which still aren't that great, still not sure what the bonus for bothering to do inscription is, dont think theres a great deal of money in that one either :P)

And your chance based debuff system? Horrible idea. Lets make it more random how much success you can have on a boss

"Oh we killed it last week cos i managed to drink 4 pots in the boss fight!!! This week my luck sucked and I never got more than one off".

No thanks.

And this is why blizz make the design decisions and not the players. <3 blizz.

15+ Year Old Account

All encounters are expected to last less than 6-8 minutes, depending on mechanics. Therefore, having the edge of 3 potions per boss encounter makes the fight less dynamic. They want you to pop the potion when you need it, not because you have it.

They've said this before - there will be no more 12 minute Council fights, 20 minute Illidan kills (because half your raid died and the remaining good players manage to pull it off), etc.

Types of encounters:
    DPS Race (Brutallus - 6 minutes)
    Healer cluster fark (Kalecgos - 6 minutes)
    Survival (Felmyst - 6-8 minutes)

Goal of boss designers: make the fight last 6 minutes for average players of expected gear levels through use of boss mechanics, hard enrage, massive aoe, or "dont stand in the fire, thus you cant dps while moving" tactics.

R.I.P. YARG

They should make fire/arcane/shadow/nature/frost potions off this list of 1 potion/fight imo... They basically destroyed any viability of these potions for use in a raid setting. Having to choose for 1 potion to ever use in a 10 minute fight... the protection potion will lose every time... Also, in any fight where using multiple protection potions is ideal, like every other phase or whatever they've eliminated this so expect less mass damage phases etc that push pot usage.

I think this is a really bad move on blizz part. If I am tanking fire phase as a warlock all i have for cooldowns are my potions etc. This is a huge nerf for any fights with elemental damage that people can use pots to help a great deal in the learning phases of the fight.

They should make fire/arcane/shadow/nature/frost potions off this list of 1 potion/fight imo... They basically destroyed any viability of these potions for use in a raid setting.
    Intended, you won't need them ever again.

The potion sickness is made in mind with using less consumables, and having more regen from the actually players and to REINTRODUCE mana awareness, something only pre. TBC players remembers

tl;dr: L2P!

15+ Year Old Account

Well I'm glad I made my money before 3.0... Now i need to go level a new profession to make money. Now that pots have been removed from the "need to have" list i cannot sell them. Prices are way down in the AH.

The affect on Elixers is unchanged though. Ah well, another off the napkin idea from Blizzard. *pft*

DPS Boomkin / Feral Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Turen
    They should make fire/arcane/shadow/nature/frost potions off this list of 1 potion/fight imo... They basically destroyed any viability of these potions for use in a raid setting. Having to choose for 1 potion to ever use in a 10 minute fight... the protection potion will lose every time... Also, in any fight where using multiple protection potions is ideal, like every other phase or whatever they've eliminated this so expect less mass damage phases etc that push pot usage.

I think this is a really bad move on blizz part. If I am tanking fire phase as a warlock all i have for cooldowns are my potions etc. This is a huge nerf for any fights with elemental damage that people can use pots to help a great deal in the learning phases of the fight.
    actually they broke the elemental potions LONG before 3.02 when they put them on the same cooldown as health/mana potions and made their buff only last 2minutes instead of 60. But this was done ages ago even before Naxx came out I think. It made a lot of MC guilds QQ up a storm (and especially their alchemists).

I actually dropped potion spec a few days ago and picked up elixir master simply because I dont have a reason to crank out several hundred potions a week to turn into injectors and sell for profit since no one uses them.

I will say I still love alchemy though, the mixology effect is SICK, and the thing I like the most about it is double durations, 2 hour elixirs, 4 hour flasks are the win not even accounting for their 30-40% effectiveness buff.