15+ Year Old Account

Diminishing Returns?

So I'm reading the WoW Tank forums newly implemented today, and I came across some disturbing news. Avoidance, apparently, is coming under diminishing returns. Now I don't know about you, but over the course of a long fight, where you'll obviously be dodging/blocking/parrying, having those stats/percentages drop steadily in a fight is a bit harsh.

Evidently Blizzard had a problem with tanks getting to a point where they were unhittable against level 73 boss mobs, ie over 100% avoidance. To those that are a bit confused this means that the boss's attacks could only have a chance to be blocked, dodged or parried, no full hits (Mitigated by armor, which at this point is pretty much crap).

Anyway, I find this diminishing returns to be a fairly good reason for me to quit tanking. If over the period of a boss fight I'll lose avoidance, pretty soon I won't be able to avoid anything, and by my understanding, will basically be a player getting hit. The whole point of being a tank is being able to avoid and mitigate damage on blocks, right? I don't know how long fights will be, probably under 8 minutes, closer to 5 or 6 in the expansion. I'm curious as to how tanks will find a way to overcome this issue.

I suppose raid survival will not only fall to the healers, but to the Dps as well? I don't know about you all and the status of your servers' dps, but I honestly don't trust the dps on mine. Most of them don't know their way around a sword let alone their own spellbook, so if they can't down the boss fast enough, the tank will die from hard hits, then the dps will die, followed by the healers. I, personally don't want to see that happen.

On the other hand, a boss fight that lasts but 4-6 minutes seems to me to be far too easy. In my experience the longer a fight is, the easier it is to weed out the faceroller/afkers who don't know how to do their job, and I hate carrying people through content. If this diminishing returns is true, I'm done tanking.

Pulled from Site: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...65200508&sid=1

Re: Diminishing Returns?

Diminishing returns on avoidance stats isn't what you think it is. The more of a certain avoidance stat you stack (i.e. dodge), the less each consecutive rating gives. You won't dodge less over time, it will just be harder to stack large amounts of dodge.

Theres an Elitist Jerks thread on it, as well.

The diminishing returns doesn't work in the way you think it does. It doesn't work like : If you dodge three times in a row, you can't dodge a fourth, like pvp diminishing returns. Avoidance stats now all work like armor.

Every time you add 1000 armor your mitigation does not go up by X% but instead slides up a logarithmic scale that eventually caps at 75%.

They're doing this to prevent DKs and Bears from stacking tons of AGI or Parry to become nearly unhittable. I know on my bear I ended up with over 60% dodge raid buffed. That coupled with my high HP and Armor made me quite the solid tank near the end of TBC.

What they're doing instead is making it so you need (for example) 400 AGI to hit 25% dodge, 800 AGI to hit 35% dodge and 1600 AGI to hit 45% dodge. It's diminishing in the fact that if you stack one single stat to improve one of the avoidance stats you won't get linear returns such that 400 AGI gives 25% dodge and 800 AGI gives 50% dodge.

This is good news for Paladins and Warriors. Meh news for DKs. Really bad news for bears.

15+ Year Old Account

Ah, good. Sorry to hear about that for bear tanks. I'm one of the tanks that welcomed a new tanking hybrid. Feral tanks were always much nicer than other tanks.

Anyway ...

/thread