Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Priest Vs other healing class's

I have a fully epic geared holy specced Level 70 priest and the other day i went into Kara with a PUG group where the warrior tank was doing most of the damage, yes you can see how messed up it was. but the druid that was with me had 2 or 3 piece's of epic gear the rest where blue's and greens and he was doing more healing then me.

So i just want to know, at level 70 with the new talents how are people finding Holy spec'd priest's? compered to the other healing class's.

thanks in advanced for your input.

Re: Holy Priest Vs other healing class's

Generally, I've found, either priests are going Disc for meditation then going as deep as they can in holy. (thus no GS) or going 54 disc for pennance, and grace, etc...

A GS priest wont have enough mana regen to last very long from what ive seen.

That is... until 80

Resto druids are OP compared with priests, with less or about the same gear. I play both classes, and I was amazed the 1st time I went into Kara as resto druid, 1 epic, and I was indeed on top of healing chart...

That being said, indeed don't spec Guardian Spirit yet. Get CoH + Serendipity + Meditation + couple of pts in Mental Agility. You're #1 effective heal remains Renew, although the constant use of PoM and CoH will gradually raise your standing on the healing chart. For hard hitting bosses, just add Greater Heal into the mix.

(the dynamic of healing changes with time, depends on gear, boss/strat... for a starting kara healer, I think you can count on what I just told you)

I am spec'd Holy for most raids except those that I am needed as shadow. I am typically #1~#3 in the overall raid healing. And very rarely have I been out healed by a druid since the patch.

1. Target main tank
    2. Spam Circle of Healing
    3. ???????
    4. Profit

Seriously, if that was all you did, it would be pretty much impossible for any nonpriest to beat you on the healing meter, especially in karazhan.

That being said, looking at healing done for a karazhan run is kind of stupid since there isn't enough to heal even for one healer. It's all about who manages to land their heals first before the target gets healed up again. If you're trying to heal smart you don't really have a chance on the meter.

IMO druid outhealed you cuz of mechanics of his healing. It's preemptive, so that wheneven tank lack 300 hp - the hot will heal it up. And as a priest with no downranking you will allways wait to release that heal on at least 2000 hp effective healing. And since it's kara - tank rarely lack's 4k hp for GH.

"It's all about who manages to land their heals first before the target gets healed up again." very true.

ps: healing is not about your place in recount.

A few people pointed out that healing meters are more or less worthless. Healing is about stopping people dying, the only HP that matters is the last one - the rest is just buffer.

As a priest you have much better reactive healing abilities than a druid, whose throughput relies on hotting everything up. This means the druid will more than likely have hots on targets with full health incase they take plenty of damage, since he is unable to heal after the fact. The priest will however be waiting and casting GHeals to restore their health as it drops, and can ramp up the healing with PW:S and Flash Heal if needed.

Also don't forget that your PoM bounces (were?) are attributed to the people they are bouncing around on, not to you, and they can make up for a decent amount of healing. Of all the healers I prefer priest the most, as it has the widest array of heals to use, and you can always get the right tool for the job to make your life easier. Shaman and Paladins are stuck in their niches (Raid and MT healing respectively) and druids have their hots, and a couple of emergency buttons. All these healers struggle to some extent when moved out of their box but as a priest I get along just fine anywhere

Also, PoM can be a very big heal(especially when it crits) and it at least used to be that the person you cast it on got credit for the healing instead of you(please let me know if this has changed). The final heal of lifebloom also works the same way, but a druid doesn't let his bloom finish usually, and that final tick isn't as big as a PoM heal. In fact, I think the only healing class that gets 100% credit for all their heals are paladins(earth shield for shaman).

Quote Originally Posted by MatsT
    1. Target main tank
    3. ???????
    4. Profit

Seriously, if that was all you did, it would be pretty much impossible for any nonpriest to beat you on the healing meter, especially in karazhan.

That being said, looking at healing done for a karazhan run is kind of stupid since there isn't enough to heal even for one healer. It's all about who manages to land their heals first before the target gets healed up again. If you're trying to heal smart you don't really have a chance on the meter.
    You'll top the overhealing done aswell :P Skill and experience is also a big factor in "topping" the healing meters. But really, is it all about healing meters? I don't think it is, it's a team job.. Who knows how many critical saves the priest did over the druid topping the healing meters? Or visa versa.. My advice, don't look at the healing meters too much.. rather look at the overhealing meters if you want some numbers.. other than that and you have a wipe free run.. it's a job well done!

First off, I want to start off with I'm a healing priest for a T6 raid and I've tried both full disc and full Holy (with GS and no meditation).  And personally a full Holy build works fine if the fights don't last more then a few minutes or as long as you aren't raid healing, which defeats the purpose of getting CoH.  But some fights like Illidan, which are much longer even after the nerf then most fights and with all the raid damage in the fight, a full Holy build just cannot stand up to the lack of mana regen without meditation, except when in a group stacked with shaman who can drop Mana Tide.

Full disc spec has definitely earned its place for now as a MT raid healer since the last patch, due to its good single target healing and mana efficiency.

1. Target main tank
    3. ???????
    4. Profit

As for this guy, this is probably not true.  Unless bosses were dieing in 2 minutes or less you aren't going to have the mana regen to spam CoH, and unless you have 5+ melee who are constantly taking damage, you aren't going to be the top of anything other then overhealing, which is a total waste as a priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Devia
    Also, PoM can be a very big heal(especially when it crits) and it at least used to be that the person you cast it on got credit for the healing instead of you(please let me know if this has changed). The final heal of lifebloom also works the same way, but a druid doesn't let his bloom finish usually, and that final tick isn't as big as a PoM heal. In fact, I think the only healing class that gets 100% credit for all their heals are paladins(earth shield for shaman).
    As of the last patch, PoM is now credited completely to the priest whom it originated from.  So all jumps of this spell will get credited to the priest as well as the threat generated from the heals.  Which was the main reason this change was made to PoM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlander
    First off, I want to start off with I'm a healing priest for a T6 raid and I've tried both full disc and full Holy (with GS and no meditation). And personally a full Holy build works fine if the fights don't last more then a few minutes or as long as you aren't raid healing, which defeats the purpose of getting CoH. But some fights like Illidan, which are much longer even after the nerf then most fights and with all the raid damage in the fight, a full Holy build just cannot stand up to the lack of mana regen without meditation, except when in a group stacked with shaman who can drop Mana Tide.
    If you have been healing t6 raid instances, you should know that Circle of Healing priests will absolutely destroy all competition on healing meters, CoH really IS the new chain heal. Whether or not you should get meditation (and maybe mental agility) depends on the situation. For winning a Karazhan healing meter, it's clearly the way to go since you don't really need bigger heals. If there actually was such a thing as a challenging fight where you could cast CoH without overhealing (Twins comes to mind), you might want to go for the deep holy talents making your CoH 10/16% bigger.

Full disc spec has definitely earned its place for now as a MT raid healer since the last patch, due to its good single target healing and mana efficiency.
    I haven't really tried, but maybe a disc specc can measure up to paladins and resto druids for MT healing now.

As for this guy, this is probably not true. Unless bosses were dieing in 2 minutes or less you aren't going to have the mana regen to spam CoH, and unless you have 5+ melee who are constantly taking damage, you aren't going to be the top of anything other then overhealing, which is a total waste as a priest.
    All bosses in karazhan dies in less than 2 minutes, whether or not you will go oom is more an issue of whether you pause for drinking or just keep charging to the next pack. You can always weave in some free instacast flash heals to improve mana efficiency.

If you have been healing t6 raid instances, you should know that Circle of Healing priests will absolutely destroy all competition on healing meters, CoH really IS the new chain heal. Whether or not you should get meditation (and maybe mental agility) depends on the situation. For winning a Karazhan healing meter, it's clearly the way to go since you don't really need bigger heals. If there actually was such a thing as a challenging fight where you could cast CoH without overhealing (Twins comes to mind), you might want to go for the deep holy talents making your CoH 10/16% bigger.
    I haven't really tried, but maybe a disc specc can measure up to paladins and resto druids for MT healing now.
    All bosses in karazhan dies in less than 2 minutes, whether or not you will go oom is more an issue of whether you pause for drinking or just keep charging to the next pack. You can always weave in some free instacast flash heals to improve mana efficiency.
    Now try raiding since the new talents came out... Last night in BT overall data and the boss segments showed the exact same thing. My resto druid and our best geared holy priest have almost identical stats and we were within 3000 healing done of each other for the entire night. We cleared through bloodboil.

Resto druids and Holy priests are fine at the moment. Holy pallies are doing good too though their aoe heal is not that of the other classes. Resto shaman could use a very slight nudge up in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by maygor
    Now try raiding since the new talents came out...
    I was obviously talking about the new talents. Before the patch CoH only targeted one group which made it somewhat weak. now it intelligently chooses the lowest HP targets in the entire raid (withint the range). This is what makes it the "new chain heal".

May i ask for a breakdown of your heals in that run, i.e. how many % of your healing was from the different abilities?

Of course I know that CoH priests will dominate the healing meters in T6 particularly on trash.  And anyone who actually checks WWS reports for healing/damage, knows that trash is not something to take into account. Trash has so many variables it isn't worth comparing. Besides, you can't compare one healing class to another in an entire healing report, it has to be done on a per basis since each scenario can have a different effect on each type of healing class and whether or not it allows them to excel for that fight or not.

I suppose most of my theory was for boss fights that last more then 5 minutes after the nerf.  If you take a raid wide high damage fight and try and spam CoH without meditation and the nerf to mana pot chugging, you are going to have a really hard time keeping your mana pool up to continuously spam CoH.

So really if you want to spam CoH, you must get meditation along with it for any decently lengthed fight.

As for topping the meters in Kara, that's just a joke.  You honestly can't tell me that there is enough raid damage in all of kara that you can actually spam CoH all the way through.  If this is the case, then your group is doing a terrible job at controlling threat or knowing where to stand and when.

And as for the fight length, in T6 gear, I agree nothing lasts more then a few moments, as for a new Heroics geared guild, I am not familiar with the length of the fights anymore after the patch.  They may or may not be longer then 2 minutes.

Right now Holy priests are underpowered compared to other healers. But this is just at 70. At 80 the playing fields will be level with each other. The problem is that with Priests right now we can't spec deep into our new talent trees without a few key talents from other trees to maintain efficiency. i.e. Deep holy doesn't get you the points to spend in Meditation. Deed discipline doesn't give you the points for Inspiration on Improved healing. Before, inspiration was a talent that any priest would pick up, but it has discipline written all over it now with the mechanics of mitigation and prevention, so any discipline priest who doesn't pick it up is out of their mind, plus improved healing just makes you last a whole lot longer. Holy reach is another nice talent for any healing priest to have.

The difference in other healing classes is that that their other two talent tree's are entirely different. OF course there are a few nice talents that are nice to pick up, but the synnergy between a priests Holy and Discipline trees are hard to dispute. A druid can deep spec and throw hots on everyone in sight, sit back and enjoy the show and they will do more healing than you right now. Paladins can cast beacon of light and main tank heal two different tanks at the same time, or just cast it on the tank and not even worry about him for the duration of the beacon and heal other raid members and they will top the healing charts. I can't really say that a shaman has beat me in healing since the patch, but I bet its possible. With the exception of a few changes, my raid spec remains much the same as it was pre patch. By 80, however, priests will be crazy.

Hell, divine hymn itself is crazy enough. The ultimate oh shit button. Of course, bosses will be immune to the effect and I'm sure there will be trash here and there that will resist the effect, but trash wipes will probably be unheard of with a priest or two in your party. Both the holy and discipline specs bring a lot more utility in the healing classes that wasn't seen before. We may not get the highest raw healing power in the end, but for other reasons we will still be valued members of any raid. Especially with Divine Providence - i.e. Improved Circle of Healing (and then some), lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

I must be playing a different priest in some other game - funny I am sure that was hyjal last night?

But first up: HEALING IS NOT A FUCKING COMPETITION. IT IS NOT A RACE. IT IS A SUPPORT ROLE.

lol now I have my lil ol nerd rage out of the way :-) back to the point.

Priest and Druid combo with the 2 talking to each other and working to support each other is a massively powerful combination. As MT healer with CoH working with a Druid the raid is pretty much safe. All you need to worry about now is dimwits standing in damage.

So OK I rejigged my gear for mana regen - I use mana fish/mana oil/ Mana flask. Wave 8 on winterchill I MC'd the last mob while we got some final positioning sorted and without drinking I went from 2k -> 10k mana before the boss arrived. On kazro I got a lil carried away and ended up close to OOM - so I stood there. And didn't blow up because I regenn fine.

So I don't beleive priests are underpowered. But sure - i haven't been to sunwell. I can only go by the guys that tell me about it. And the only guys I have spoken to say they don't go to Sunwell without thier 2 Priests. But then hey - those guys are the ones that told me that healing is not a competition. They tell me about working as a support role. they are preaching to the converted.

Priests are fine. Stop trying to solo heal a 25man raid

I have a fully epiced troll priest as well but i see no issue with a druid out healing me. priests were always made to be versatile healers and mobility came in really handy. since the 3.0 patch aoe healing for priests is top notch and is always on top of heal meters. ive gone with a 13/48 spec for my priest picking up meditation in disc and as far down as 2 points in divine providence in holy.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVhb0hZfhxcf0qihMIob this is the link to my build.

ive even gone to BT and Hyjal healing and though there are other priests with better gear then me right now and i should say not by much, ive been out healing them as well as every other healer in our raids. Now given i havent healed with a really good resto druid in awhile but for me i see no issues with priest healing. As raid healers we are top notch and as single target healers we are average.

Ive also noticed resently the move towards adding crit gems to our gear as well and picking up some old dps gear for healing that stacks crit. 9.5k greater heal crit is killer when timed right.

Quote Originally Posted by mutantboy
    I must be playing a different priest in some other game - funny I am sure that was hyjal last night?

But first up: HEALING IS NOT A FUCKING COMPETITION. IT IS NOT A RACE. IT IS A SUPPORT ROLE.

lol now I have my lil ol nerd rage out of the way :-) back to the point.

Priest and Druid combo with the 2 talking to each other and working to support each other is a massively powerful combination. As MT healer with CoH working with a Druid the raid is pretty much safe. All you need to worry about now is dimwits standing in damage.

So OK I rejigged my gear for mana regen - I use mana fish/mana oil/ Mana flask. Wave 8 on winterchill I MC'd the last mob while we got some final positioning sorted and without drinking I went from 2k -> 10k mana before the boss arrived. On kazro I got a lil carried away and ended up close to OOM - so I stood there. And didn't blow up because I regenn fine.

So I don't beleive priests are underpowered. But sure - i haven't been to sunwell. I can only go by the guys that tell me about it. And the only guys I have spoken to say they don't go to Sunwell without thier 2 Priests. But then hey - those guys are the ones that told me that healing is not a competition. They tell me about working as a support role. they are preaching to the converted.

Priests are fine. Stop trying to solo heal a 25man raid

right first off, i did not post this as a compertition between the priest's and the other class's as to who could out heal each other, what i wanted to know was what could i have been doing wrong in that case with my build that was dragging me down the charts, and through peoples input i have found out, so now when i join a party may it b 5, 10 or 25 man party i will now know what to do to be a better healing Priest to but more into the groups that i am with.

and Eurekasev i don't see a problem with a druid out healing me either if we both had the same quality gear on, but when i am in full Epics, and the druid is in a mixture of green's and blue's with the 1 or 2 Epic pieces and he is doing more healing then i am, that is what is puyyling me, i have now found out thanks to this post and elitist jerks that Holy Priests are better at group healing and Desc Priests are better at MT healing which is what i wanted to know.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by jjthorne
    and Eurekasev i don't see a problem with a druid out healing me either if we both had the same quality gear on, but when i am in full Epics, and the druid is in a mixture of green's and blue's with the 1 or 2 Epic pieces and he is doing more healing then i am, that is what is puyyling me, i have now found out thanks to this post and elitist jerks that Holy Priests are better at group healing and Desc Priests are better at MT healing which is what i wanted to know.

Depends on your spec and how you play your class.
    I have run kara-hijal since the last patch and i have always been 1-2 on healing and mana efficiency. Just practice more at healing you will be fine.

healing is not about your place in recount. Or even your spec holy-dis.

First off, I want to start off with I'm a healing priest for a T6 raid and I've tried both full disc and full Holy (with GS and no meditation). And personally a full Holy build works fine if the fights don't last more then a few minutes or as long as you aren't raid healing, which defeats the purpose of getting CoH. But some fights like Illidan, which are much longer even after the nerf then most fights and with all the raid damage in the fight, a full Holy build just cannot stand up to the lack of mana regen without meditation, except when in a group stacked with shaman who can drop Mana Tide.

As for this guy, this is probably not true. Unless bosses were dieing in 2 minutes or less you aren't going to have the mana regen to spam CoH, and unless you have 5+ melee who are constantly taking damage, you aren't going to be the top of anything other then overhealing, which is a total waste as a priest.

If you are a priest in T6 content and not spamming COH, you are a dead weight. There is so much AOE damage than your only role should be to raid heal.
    Leave the single target healing to paladins and druids, they do it better than us, way better.

We are working on felmyst right now and the only fights I can think of where priest are not on top of the charts are archimonde and brutallus (and najentus since the patch because he dies too fast now).
    That being said, I agree that the charts are not what matters, only thing that matters is to keep everyone alive and kill the boss and to do that you need all healing classes working together.