Profession perks and which to pick?

Ok, so I'm making a Death Knight as soon as WotLK comes out whom I will main, primarily as raid dps. The thing I need help with is professions, currently it looks like I'll start with leveling tailoring so that I can pick up the 6 flying carpets. I'm aware that I will not be able to ride these once I drop tailoring, I just want to have them and I guess they could be useful for the Albino Drake achievement too. As for the final professions I am currently looking at Blacksmithing, Engineering and Leatherworking. Blacksmithing has 3 extra sockets (2 of which are blacksmith-only) and will probably have a level 80 equivalent of Stormherald & co in one way or another. Engineering has the Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket, Hyperspeed Accelerators, Nitro Boosts, Personal Electromagnetic Pulse Generator, Belt-Clipped Spynoculars and Flexweave Underlay. I can imagine some of these (hand rockets and accelerators especially) to be quite useful, and there's also a plethora of gadgets, now also including the portable mailbox. What Leatherworking has to offer is Fur Linings and what looks like cheaper versions of the normal level 80 leg armors.

Now, Blacksmithing almost certainly gets one of the two profession slots, I would like to hear what you guys think about Engineering and Leatherworking though. I'm also curious about what the other professions have to offer (I've looked some up, but I figured that the point of view of a person who is into said profession would be good to have) and I'm also curious if there is anything like the flying carpets (or the Engineering pets if I were to choose Leatherworking) that would be nice to get before settling down and stopping the profession-changing. Also, as with Ring enchants, I assume that things like Leatherworking's Fur Linings and Tailoring's Cloak Embroideries don't work after dropping the profession, right?

Re: Profession perks and which to pick?

im going alq / BS with me DK when I reroll, extra 90 AP and 2 hours from flasks y really great.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I always assumed when I finally made and leveled my DK, I would have blacksmithing/skinning. I already have a miner so ore is not an issue and I can start collecting it now to level. (Another poor alt is going to have a full bank) But blacksmithing for the sockets and weapons and to a lesser extent the armor and skinning for the AP to bracers. Plus I don't have a blacksmith whereas I have everything else (not leveled to max mind you).

But I guess it isn't a huge issue as my hunter and pally will go to 80 first and the hunter will have to be geared before I even move onto the pally. So I don't foresee even making a DK until March at the earliest.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Macbrea
    I always assumed when I finally made and leveled my DK, I would have blacksmithing/skinning. I already have a miner so ore is not an issue and I can start collecting it now to level. (Another poor alt is going to have a full bank) But blacksmithing for the sockets and weapons and to a lesser extent the armor and skinning for the AP to bracers. Plus I don't have a blacksmith whereas I have everything else (not leveled to max mind you).

But I guess it isn't a huge issue as my hunter and pally will go to 80 first and the hunter will have to be geared before I even move onto the pally. So I don't foresee even making a DK until March at the earliest.
    Skinning gives crit, the AP to bracers is Leatherworking and LW also has the better ap/crit legs patch.

I'm rerolling into DK - and for PvE raiding iam going to pick up BS and LW. Extra gem slots, possibly some nice BoP's in future raid instances and LW's enchants on legs and wrists - i couldnt find any other 2 proffesions that gives more +ap "bonus" in total.

Are you guys sure about Leatherworkers having a superior leg enchant? I've seen them before, but it seems to me as if they have been replaced by ones that are identical to the non-bop ones save from the name and reagents used (the reagentss might be a lot cheaper, but that doesn't matter to me anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Masptak
    Those don't seem to be bind on pickup though, the fact that the item becomes soulbound once you enchant it is probably just to disencourage twinking, the blue versions have the same text. Looks to me like the leatherworker-only version would be Nerubian Leg Reinforcements and that the perk this time around would be a reduced cost and not better stats, I might have misunderstood it though.

Go BS and Leather Work. APower on wrists is the best bonus of all proffs. Only downside is the materials cost. But after wasting so much time on this game some people have a Huge amount to waste on dbl crafting profs. Its Worth It.

LW and BS for biggest Buffs. I also think inscriptions shoulders are alot better then anything out right now. Plus its the cheapest to lvl.

So for anyone who wants the second best go BS Scribe.