Holy Priest - mana problems @ Cho'Gall

Hello

We did our first tries on Cho'Gall this night and I had mana problems for the first time. We run a resto druid, holy priest and holy pala healer setup.
    I'm usually ATLEAST 1m ahead of the paladin in healing done and on about the same level as the resto druid in terms of healing done.

On this fight, however, I was behind on the paladin unless I was PoHing all the time which led to mana problems and eventually a wipe because the tank died because of lack of healing.

I don't have a combatlog parse but if needed I can get one on my next raid.

Of course, I use PoM on every CD. I try to remain in Sanctuary chakra all the time because I'm trying to use CoH as much as possible too when there is raid damage. I have renew on the tank (when in range) and I am on dispel duty as well.

Armory: http://www.armoryx.com/anonymous-wow-profile/57984

I'm getting a Tsunami trinket this sunday. I doubt it will help much but it's something.

15+ Year Old Account
    i stay in heal chakra until the last phase personally
    make sure your lightwell is ready for last phase

i don't think you should worry about meters but i know everyone is meter crazy

Quote Originally Posted by tehmark View Post
    i stay in heal chakra until the last phase personally
    make sure your lightwell is ready for last phase

i don't think you should worry about meters but i know everyone is meter crazy
    It makes me feel like I'm not performing as I should be if that healer is healing more than I am when he's usually really far behind. I'm not trying to top the healers but I'm trying to kill the boss

This may sound counterintuitive at first, but going to 2 healer may help your mana problems. The extra DPS helps a lot in getting adds down and keeping the number of add waves and damage minimal.

Just the fact that you mentioned all the AOE healing makes it sound like the DPS are getting overwhelmed, taking extra damage and corrupted blood from the adds, or getting hit by unnecessary damage. If you are needing to dispel non-tanks before Part 2, something went wrong because non-tanks should not have more than 25 corrupted blood before Part 2. It is all avoidable damage.

If your DPS is not fast enough to get you to Part 2 (the burn phase) in 3 waves of adds, you should definitely go to 2 healer. Making the fight shorter significantly reduces the amount of damage to the raid and keeps corrupted blood levels low.

Pretty much what evrx said... go with 2 healers preferable you and the holy pally. The key is you shouldn't ever spam prayer of healing in first phase. If the dps die in phase 1 its because they got hit by shadow crash or an add. When cho'gall does the aoe move, just prayer of healing each group once, circle of healing off cool down and prayer of mending and focus on keeping tanks up.

When I heal it on my holy priest i never fall below 80% mana in first phase and I still end the fight with 14khps. Its an easy fight, but you will get it with experience

Three tips:

1: Get some epic trinkets. Some top choices are the darkmoon card tsunami, the mandala of stirring patterns from tol barad, tyrande's favourite doll, and the excellent trinket that drops from cho'gall. They really make the mana situation far far easier.

2: Use your shadowfiend early. The fight usually lasts 7-8 minutes, allowing you to use it twice.

3: The single target chakra is usually better for the first half of the fight if you want to conserve mana. You shouldn't need serious aoe healing until phase 2. I actually end up staying in no chakra for most of the fight due to chastise working well to interrupt worships. This in turn will save your mana if you manage to reduce the number of debuffs.

cho'gall fight is pretty tough at first and requires everyone to take as minimum damage as possible in p1 so that healers have enough mana to deal with p2. the better it's done, the easier your work will be.

as it's been said before, serenity is preferable to sanctuary in p1 as your main goal is to keep as much mana as possible. try to time your fiend so that it's available in p2.

Deleted
    Try with 2 healers and stack behind the boss moving away on fire / shadow crashes. Stay in Serenity state for the majority of fight. AoE dmg is fairly limited and you only need to poh a few times every 30-40 seconds. Get your guildies to trust your lightwell, and then rely on druid or paladin aoe heals to do the rest. Once you hit p2 you can go crazy in sanctuary chakra. The extra dps is gonna help a LOT, since it's all about interrupting and killing the adds before your shadow bar goes to high.

I am getting a Tsunami trinket when the faire comes around this sunday and tomorrow i'm getting my final rep with hellscream's reach to get the trinket. i'm using hymn + fiend pretty early (about 2 mins into the fight) because i'm already at 30% mana because of all the damage)

and yes, there are troubles with adds. But then again, these were our first tries and I believe we had a pretty shitty setup. We had a

Rogue
    Demonology Lock
    Enhancement Shaman
    Arms Warrior
    Shadow priest

The rogue was replacing our hunter who could've put a trap there and our shadowpriest was compplaining about having shitty AoE to kill the ads. I don't know about the rest but I guess shaman and warriors have shitty AoE dps?

I will suggest the 2-heal setup

Thanks for the input!

try disc, and smite/shild the tanks, Raid healing should be easy 4 the resto druid alone until p2 starts .
    In p2 you should be easy at 100% mana and only spam PoH, maybe shild if someone drops low...if grp drops low PWB and PoH spam again