Best healing Priest spec for 5 mans , heroics and 10 mans ?

Hi , the topic says it all , atm i am planning on doing many 5 mans and then only max 10 man instances with LK and i wonder what would the best spec be for that , perhaps also doing some quests to level up.

one question for example is : do i need circle of healing for 5 mans and 10 mans or is it not worth it before 25 mans where lots of ae damage occurs , is skilling up to mindflay useful for solo questing or does smite do equal dmg while being specced holy ?

thanks for all help , and i am looking for a built for level 70 to start leveling with , an 80 built is not a must

Re: Best healing Priest spec for 5 mans , heroics and 10 mans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Esra
    Hi , the topic says it all , atm i am planning on doing many 5 mans and then only max 10 man instances with LK and i wonder what would the best spec be for that , perhaps also doing some quests to level up.

one question for example is : do i need circle of healing for 5 mans and 10 mans or is it not worth it before 25 mans where lots of ae damage occurs , is skilling up to mindflay useful for solo questing or does smite do equal dmg while being specced holy ?

thanks for all help , and i am looking for a built for level 70 to start leveling with , an 80 built is not a must
    The Discipline tree is quite viable for damage output, without sacrificing healing capabilities. Circle of Healing may or may not have much use in 5 mans, and I'm not sure about LK 10's. For 70, I'd start with something like 56/5 and then finish it off like this: 57/14

The thing is, Disc is a very capable heroic healer, and can handle itself in raids aswell but the more disc priests you have, the worse they scale. So in 5's and 10's, you're pretty safe there. Have fun
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

For 5mans it doesnt matter if ure Disc or Holy. U wont use CoH in 5er that much -> Renew->GH and shields.

On 10mans it depend on the other healer. If he is a Shaman then i would go into Disc, if its or Pala -> Holy.
    If he is a druid..mhm i dont know how good druids are on MT healing and aE healing :/

For small groups, I would definitive pick Disciplin. Disciplin provide the extra utility and more regen, things that's awesome for small group healing.

Typical you don't need the critical OH-SHIT talents that holy offers, neither do you need the bonus healing from Holy, to keep the tank up in small scale.
    Specially not if you got another class healing as well, Druid HoTs, or AoE healing from shamans, or Seal of Light , Vampiric Embramce / Leader of the Pack , etc. that assist with keeping up the raid, allowing you to focus more on single target healing.

It's very rare you need group healing in 5mans as well.

Penance, Power Infusion, Improved Shields, combined with Divine Spirit (yay!) would make you more attractive for a small group, than a raid group.

I would agree with previous posters... Disc or Holy are looking to both be viable healers. I focus mainly on raid content at 70 (not that that means much atm... but still) and I've been very happy with CoH. I was 5/56/0 (was trying out GS) but recently decided to go 20/41/0 (aiming for more insta-cast efficiency + mana regen). I think it'll depend on play style and need of the raid/moment which is better.

I've been tinkering with 71 point builds and haven't decided what my holy is going to be, but it'll most likely be somewhere in teh 25/46/0 range.

I haven't personally had a chance to test out Disc tree yet (busy with school and raid maybe once or twice a week right now), but rumor is it's single target mitigation healing + different set of utility spells makes for a good route as well.

When dual-specs are available, I will have deep disc (Maybe the aformention 56/5/0... maybe something different), and I'll have the 25/56/0 or close spec. Depending on if I use one more consistently than the other I might drop one or the other for Shadow, but that'll be decided at 80.

Kriis
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Did 5 mans and heroics get hard or something? Why on earth would you need "best" spec for them.

In TBC I went from MC gear with maybe 100+ heals to outlands and a hybrid disc/holy build and healed fine. I swapped over to my druid after a very short time (different server) and with a dreamstate build that everyone told me was useless and a bunch of quest & AH greens got through to heroics and kara ending up in Dungeon blues and Rep epics. I didn't change spec once over about 4 months.

Will I change anything this time? Well given I have way way better gear on both priest and Druid I don't see why. I'm going to make an adequate hybrid build and I don't see that changing for quite a while.

If I need more damage I will go get a warrior. I really don't think healing is going to be a huge issue

As a priest, and have tried all spec's.
    Truth:
    No spec, or class ....heal crits...like a holy priest.
    Twice the heals of any spec or class....
    You want to 10 man, or 25 man...and be in demand to heal...
    Gear up, and go holy...
    But whatever spec you choose, have fun!

disc for everything upto and including 25m(1 disc rest holy) the new shields are awesome, the regen is wonderful and a well timed pain suppression can save u from a wipe.

and just so u guys know, u NEED 3 healers for most of the 10m raids so u can always go as disc(and its even advisable in many fights[loatheb comes to mind :P]), unless the other 2 healers are 2 holy palas and then i guess holy might b better but meh.

atm my priest is 28-33-0, gives you great single target healing ability with very large mana pool and mp5. Only downside is no CoH soo like the poster b4, if you heal with a shaman or CoH priest, go DS, if you heal with a pally, go CoH

It depends on how good your tank is, in my opinion.

Disc is personally the most interesting and fun of the options with a decent tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia

It's very rare you need group healing in 5mans as well.
    in wrath 5 mans/heroics from what i have tested a fair few encounters have the whole party getting hit for a fair amount of dmg

greenmasheen

if you do 5 mans, pick up the renew glyph and the power word shield glyph.

put points into mental agility and the like, reducing mana cost and increasing effectivness of instant cast spells.

put points into increasing prayer of mending/healing 's effectivness and reducing costs as well if possible.

Tabk makes all the diff

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails View Post
    It depends on how good your tank is, in my opinion.

Disc is personally the most interesting and fun of the options with a decent tank.
    Its so true! Im a level 40 and Im discipline, I have no problems healing, but with a bad tank, it can get real hairy. I tried Holy and don't like the long casts, Discipline has penance, this is an awesome spell that heals as well as damage. Its quick and effective. But again to agree that a bad tank is every healers nightmare....I may try Holy again later, but right now, discipline is where its at for me in five man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick the one that you like best. Just doing that will make you heal better.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

holy crap, who resurrected this old thread? 11-4-2008 was the last post until today.

Quote Originally Posted by Töasty View Post
    holy crap, who resurrected this old thread? 11-4-2008 was the last post until today.
    That was my question aswell. How do you "accidently" post in a three year old thread? ^^