Page 1 of 2
LastLast

best warlock professions in wrath

ive looked at a lot of the info about professions on this site and i am curious about peoples opinions about best pve professions for wrath on a lock.
    i currently have enchanting and mining but plan on getting rid of mining.

supposedly tailoring is gimped but who knows for certain.

i would love peoples opinions
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Re: best warlock professions in wrath

Blacksmithing.

Enchanting/Tailor here. Got to admit the tailoring stuff is rather a letdown. More of a "jeez I hope I'm not wearing that by then". While I admit FSW was OP for the ease in attaining it for shadowpriests and affliction locks (maybe frost mages but couldn't say for sure). Classic blizz, what was too good before shall be too shitty now.../sigh. I think its still early to worry too much as blizz may still tweak/add/etc patterns. I kept tailoring in hopes of a sunfire robe drop but our guild never saw one in months. (freakin smithing recipes out the bum though) Prior to that the only perk I get from tailoring is using netherweave nets in bg's or as a gag. (nobody expects them) The cloak thing is nice, but not sure how it stacks up vs other professions.

So far enchanting only has ring enchants as an exclusive perk unless I missed something (VERY possible). It might be nice if one of those two could do a belt enchant but I admit I'm rather clueless in so far as profession details as worrying about my main's overall viability has taken center stage.

I'll probably worry about it more once I'm in WOTLK but focus on getting to 80 and into instances/naxx 10 asap. Guild is putting rather large rewards/perks for the raiders that get there and push the content first.
    User has been banned permanently for trolling.

Not certain for the 2nd prof, but I know leatherworking is still numero uno dps wise.
    Once a drunken pirate, alwaysh a drunken pirate... Hic!

15+ Year Old Account

Do not take:
    Leatherworking - the drums now have a tinitus debuff, preventing chaining them.
    Blacksmithing - the extra sockets are the exact same as self-enchanting rings.
    Alchemy - Double the duration from flasks. Not worth it, and you should never ever have to use a potion as a warlock

High DPS:
    Tailor - Make your own gear and get more cloth off humanoids? money and gear!
    Jewelcrafting - Epic gems are indeed worth it, and you can make some pretty dumb trinkets.
    Enchanting - You get to make yourself a wand AND enchant your rings
    Inscription - Extra Glyph spot. Not useful now but at 80 with more glyphs it can be excellent. Siphon / Agony / Corruption / SB or Immolate for affliction.

Money:
    Skinning - Passive crit bonus is nice
    Mining - 500 hp is nice
    Herbalism - LOL DONT PICK FLOWERS

NOTE ON TAILORING CLOAK ENCHANTS: They are not worth it compared to self-enchanting rings or the inscription slot.

NOTE ON GEAR: If you are in all T6, you do not need to craft yourself anything at 80.

R.I.P. YARG

Im tailor and encahnter.

I am currently a tailor/ chanter. I took tailoring because FSW was great for starting raid gear, but Blizz will never make another craftable set that good again. Almost everything from tailoring is now BoE, so no perk there. The cloak enchant seems very weak, and I plan to drop tailoring for inscription this week. As gherkin stated, a 4th Glyph slot (is this confirmed as major?) and the shoulder enchant seem much more valuable. What tailoring needs is a self only belt embroidery, or improved pant threads over the ones that are BoE. They may very well add them, it is too early to know for sure. Im just tired of having a profession I never use. I like the way inscription and enchanting fit together.

Although Gherkin knocked Alchemy, I'm pretty sure Alchemists get +40% from flask effects, not duration, meaning that 200 spell power flask becomes 280. This may very well prove to be very useful to a raider. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Inscription is decent due to making your own shoulder enchants, etc. (You no longer get an extra glyph slot if my knowledge serves me right)

Keep enchanting... You'll get profession only cloack enchants in Wrath.

Tailoring is nice to cheese some decent gear to start with at 80

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Inscription - Extra Glyph spot. Not useful now but at 80 with more glyphs it can be excellent. Siphon / Agony / Corruption / SB or Immolate for affliction.
    It is my understanding that the extra glyph spot was never implemented in Beta and probably won't be in live either. Discussion here:
    http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/10/14...ion-to-glyphs/
    (See posts below the article)

good replies, i am in 5 pcs of T6 so it sounds like tailoring is a waste. i didnt know to take tailoring when i first started my lock and by the time i figured it out i was already getting T5 gear. it sounds like tailoring would be a solid choice for a new levelling lock though but not for one in T6 already.

no one mentioned engineering and i am thinking its become the red headed step child of professions but i am an engineer on my pally and it was useful till i got helms better than my goggles(never been in sunwell). i am hoping it will be useful and not just gimmicky in wrath.

i will level mining and then switch it to something that generates dps - either jewelcrafting, alchemy, engineering and keep my enchanting at level 80.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Rozwell
    no one mentioned engineering and i am thinking its become the red headed step child of professions
    yeah

I wouldn't take Tailoring if it's your main, since you'll have plenty of opportunity to get loot to improve your gear.

I'd take Enchanting (ring enchants are awesome) and either JewelCrafting or Inscription on the side. You do need another char to grind the mats for you. Or you need to make deals with gatherers to pay them a steady amount for their mats. (Otherwise it'll be pretty costly to get gain skill ups and to make profit.)

15+ Year Old Account

Here is the argument for KEEPING tailoring:

-You get increased cloth dropping from mobs in northrend
    -This cloth can be used to create the northrend equivelent of Netherweave Bracers
    -Disenchant this for dust
    -Some enchants cost more than 50 dust to do, and most cost over 24 or more.
    -Dust will be high demand.

Here is the argument for DROPPING tailoring:

-For what they're worth, the craftable gear isn't that good
    -The BOP cloak enchants (embroidery) are crap and do not scale. Overall dps increase is 11-12 whereas blacksmithing/enchanting self buffs + haste to cloak enchant grant you around 26dps or more. Check out my post under Lightweave embroidery on wowhead.
    -Enchanting and Jewelcrafting offer better rewards, and a gathering profession can supplement your income. Remember that ore/herbs will be in high demand as people level blacksmithing for their OP Titanium Reapers and Inscription for their OP glyphs.

I dropped tailoring for enchanting and got it to 350 in 2 days of casual play, including stratholme runs. I highly recommend doing this and getting Unholy Weapon enchant, as the Large Brilliant Shards are easier to obtain than illusion dust and you're guaranteed at least two points of skill per Strat run. Unholy also goes until 310.

R.I.P. YARG

Imo, engineering for the goggles that makes you see peeps nekkid.

If you have an alt (by this point I think most do), I would go with tailoring/inscription on your lock. The extra glyphs are pretty OP imo, and inscription will be like enchanting, and always have a demand in WotLK. I say if you have an alt because you will need access to herbs if you want to efficiently use inscription.
    I would keep tailoring because it will give you an easy way to get your first 80 gear, which you can quickly build on. Getting gear is not difficult with pvp, instances, and raids, but tailoring will give you an edge when you first get to 80. For someone heavily geared in T6, you may not need new gear when you first get to 80, and may just jump into T7. For the rest of the populous, tailoring gear will be the first option. If you guild is not overstocked with tailors, you can probably work out a deal to get some tailoring patterns that drop, which you can turn around and sell the finished product for a nice profit at the beginning of LK.

15+ Year Old Account

Arguement against inscription as an "in demand" skill:
    You can sell them on the AH. Nothing sold on the AH has a profit margin, unless you gathered it yourself. Especially high demand items.

Case and Point: Primal Might, for the longest time, were cheaper than the mats to make them.

R.I.P. YARG

Alchemy - Double the duration from flasks. Not worth it, and you should never ever have to use a potion as a warlock
    But not only the duration, but also the effect, that's what makes it interesting:
    Mixology Passive You receive an increased effect and duration when you drink any elixir or flask you are able to make.

Do not take:
    Leatherworking - the drums now have a tinitus debuff, preventing chaining them.
    you are way off. Even with the addition of tinitus debuff, which prevents you from using a drum for 2 mins after you use any drum.. the drums are extremely good for dps. They provide a haste or pure spell power bonus for your entire group. Along with the bracer enchants letherworking gives you the most dps. +44 more power on bracers, +44dmg or 95haste for 30sec every 2min to your entire group

Alchemy also gives double effect to most flasks including the new spell power flask which normaly grants 125 power.. 62 more spell power + 4 hour flasks + insane haste with http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=40211#comments or dmg and crit with http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=40212#comments.. good warlocks do use potions.

drums do not work at 80!

besides, tailoring and enchanting(which most of us have) is the only crafting professions that can farm their own mats. that's gotta count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Talimar
    drums do not work at 80!
    You are quite wrong on that.. there are indeed usable drums at level 80
    http://www.spooncraft.com/breaking-n...the-expansion/