Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: What's better for moonkin? Crit or Haste?

I'm a little confused myself as what stats to look for on my druid now.

People are saying the highest dps rotation is (with eclipse): MF>SF until eclipse procs>Wrath until eclipse fades>repeat.

But with added haste, wouldn't it mean you were spamming wrath which would have a lesser casting time than the GCD (if critting frequently), leading to dps loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Resto
    i would take crit over haste because Nature's Grace would bring your wrath down to 1 sec, and you cant get the GCD lower then 1 sec.

if your using starfire then take haste
    Just because the cast time is down to 1 second, doesn't mean the global cooldown is. The only benefit of Nature's Grace for Wrath is that the cast reaches the target faster, it does NOT allow you to cast more.

Also, for PvE Wrath is only worth it during Eclipse - otherwise Starfire is better DPS and better efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilshire153
    considering how we were called oomkins for so long, crit is more mana efficient. Crit gives reduction on our next spell cast, when we crit we can gain mana back. Our talents also make our crits hit for so much more than our flat damage. Crit has always been better than haste for moonkin unless you liked spending money on hundreds mana potions for each boss fight pre 3.0 but then again, most of you wouldn't know considering the majority of moonkins are people wearing resto gear since 3.0 was released.
    /Agreed, thats just lame

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    Just because the cast time is down to 1 second, doesn't mean the global cooldown is. The only benefit of Nature's Grace for Wrath is that the cast reaches the target faster, it does NOT allow you to cast more.
    Hm? Living in the past?
    When Nature's grace procc it now also reduces the gcd of wrath to 1sec, meaning that you can infact cast more spells over a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Semi
    Hm? Living in the past?
    When Nature's grace procc it now also reduces the gcd of wrath to 1sec, meaning that you can infact cast more spells over a period of time.
    Ah ok, missed that in the patch notes. My bad.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Pretty sure it didn't point out in the patch notes that it works that way, but testing it will show that it does

Quote Originally Posted by Axal
    I'm a little confused myself as what stats to look for on my druid now.

People are saying the highest dps rotation is (with eclipse): MF>SF until eclipse procs>Wrath until eclipse fades>repeat.

But with added haste, wouldn't it mean you were spamming wrath which would have a lesser casting time than the GCD (if critting frequently), leading to dps loss?
    The bolded part is the most important part. You shouldn't crit too frequently. With Eclipse, the damage of your Wrath increases. Maintain a decent, but not incredible crit, and you won't have to worry about too many NG procs.

You should go for about 25-30% crit, then stack haste

Crit I mean whats standing when you press "C" ingame. I know you get like 9% extra with talent and t6.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanky
    You should go for about 25-30% crit, then stack haste
    No.

Stacking crit to a certain point infers that crit is better than haste until you have that certain amount of crit, which is wrong. If you have enough mana then haste is better regardless of your crit%, although spell power is better than both up until a certain amount of spell power.

I did boomkin to 80 in the beta, and the way quest rewards are itemized, you sacrifice a lot of other things to get crit. I was running around with 7k health and 7.5k mana because I was taking all of the crit rewards.

This time around I'm going to take all the haste rewards and see how that plays out.

Can someone help me with the math, i have a few questions about this?

How much haste does it take to reduce the cast time of starfire by .5 seconds?

How much haste do you need to have 6% (we already have this with talents).

If you had to choose between 3% haste or 3% crit, which would you take? (Celestial Focus vs Improved Insect Swarm)

How many people are spec'd into the eclipse talent? If so, would people using eclipse benefit more from having higher haste or crit? I understand that it procs off of crit, but in theory, if you spec'd into a lot of haste, you would get off more wrath casts in less time, giving more chances for wrath to crit and proc eclipse, thus increasing starfire'c crit chance by 30%, which would negate any spell crit you lost by gearing for haste?

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9
    You need two steps to get this number.
    1) According to wowwiki, you need 32.79 hasterating for 1% haste.
    2) This is the quirky part: How long is the cast before applying haste? 3.5s untalented; 3s talented; 2.5s talented with NG proc.
    In case one: .5s is 14.3% => 469 hasterating
    In case two: .5s is 16.7% => 548 hasterating
    In case three: .5s is 20.0% => 656 hasterating
    That's close but not quite right. Haste is calculated as a multiplier of 1/(1+Haste%) (this prevents exponential returns). So:
    In case one: 3 = 3.5*1/(1+x). 1+x = 3.5/3. x = 0.1666 (16.7%). Requiring 547 haste rating.
    In case two: 2.5 = 3*1/(1+x). 1+x = 3/2.5. x = 0.2000 (20.0%). Requiring 656 haste rating.
    In case three: 2 = 2.5*1/(1+x). 1+x = 2.5/2. x = 0.2500 (25.0%). Requiring 820 haste rating.

15+ Year Old Account

Ehm.. isn't NG reduction applied *after* the haste calculation?
    Just a question uh, from a feral druid
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Haste >>>> Crit
    Depending on your mana regen.
    Since people with low mana regen better not get alot of haste, since they will just run oom really fast. More haste = more casts = more chance on crits = more dps. But if you have a low mana regen and you're planning to not get any spirit in, get crit gear and enjoy the mana regen from that. (Don't spam SF then -.-)

Quote Originally Posted by arel00
    Ehm.. isn't NG reduction applied *after* the haste calculation?
    Medium9 is correct - the benefit of NG is also reduced by haste.