Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's better for moonkin? Crit or Haste?

I prefer high crit cuz I just like seeing big numbers....
    so at what's better crit vs haste... and is there a point where it switches off?

Re: What's better for moonkin? Crit or Haste?

My spreadsheet says haste rating is better than crit, by about 30%. I don't think there's any cross over point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Haste is better, but don't neglect Crit. I don't know the math, unfortunately.

Spell Hit till capped > Spell damage > Spell haste > Spell crit

Thats your priority. Moonkins are not crit based casters. People think they are because of the moonkin aura, but they are not. Crits dont give us mana return or a free next spell the way it does for some other classes (ele shamans) which is why those other classes stack crit. Granted natures grace give you a 0.5 second off cast time from crits, but even with that it was still not worth it to stack crit, at least in BC. I dont see how WOTLK would change that though, so the old ways still stand I expect.

Well, I'd say crit. You really could go with spamming moonfire and do just fine, why bother casting...

considering how we were called oomkins for so long, crit is more mana efficient. Crit gives reduction on our next spell cast, when we crit we can gain mana back. Our talents also make our crits hit for so much more than our flat damage. Crit has always been better than haste for moonkin unless you liked spending money on hundreds mana potions for each boss fight pre 3.0 but then again, most of you wouldn't know considering the majority of moonkins are people wearing resto gear since 3.0 was released.

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    Crits dont give us mana return
    Yes they do. Shame AoE crits don't anymore though but it was rather OP.

Deleted

I dont think its possible to say one stat is far superior to another (unless your comparing int and stenght :P )
    At the end of the day you need to have a healthy balance of everything.
    Ofc you need to be hitcapped but if you have 2k spellpower and 0 critrating your dps will still be suffering.
    And if you got loads of haste but are seriously lacking the spellpower department then its bad again.

I think Spell Hit till capped > Spell damage > Spell haste > Spell crit is save to say but dont forget to keep everything balanced.

I suggest you spend some time and read gray matters blog about oomkins.
    http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/20...r-moonkin.html

mainly, crit is more fun to watch because big numbers in the screen are so lovely, but in reality haste simply increases dps more.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Moonkin IS a crit-based character/spec/chicken

You need lots of Haste for it to be effective, don't you ? So running around with 1 piece of gear with Haste won't increase your DPS by that much.
    Of course when you stack a good amount of Haste, those SF's are pretty good, so yeah

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbiz
    Moonkin IS a crit-based character/spec/chicken
    No, it really isn't.

The main problem with crit is that it's a very expensive stat to get on gear, mostly because of the rating conversion to %. Spell power and Haste are cheaper to acquire, thus making them "better".

It's not a bad stat to get, it's just that most everything else is better.

Like Medium9 said - Crit is only better if your mana is suffering. Otherwise, Haste all the way.

www.maxdps.com You can go check there
    If in doubt afk out

01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110011 01110101 01100011 01101011

Quote Originally Posted by Cebeaj
    www.maxdps.com You can go check there
    No you can't. Moonkin aren't updated for Wrath yet, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmizzle
    Well, I'd say crit. You really could go with spamming moonfire and do just fine, why bother casting...
    Haste lowers the GCD so haste would still help someone who wanted to go around spamming moonfire :P

Well... I have a good question then:

I have a mix of ZA/SSC/PVP/Heroics gear that lets me do 1400-1600 dps in 5/10 mans. Nothing to write home about. I really enjoy playing oomkin now and have been doing well compared to my teammates.

Since the scourge invasion was happening I decided to get a small haste set with things I could get off of there. I think this demonstrates a few notions. The scourge invasion things were ilevel 115 I believe and the stat allocation was heavy in Haste. I took about a 100 point, 4% crit hit to go to my "haste set" but gained about 210 haste (I socketed a few things and got a new weapon etc...)

Obviously my dps is going to go down slightly because I'm using lower ilvl items, but it was actually harder to use and it went down significantly more than I thought it would. The lack of the crits meant that I wasn't proc'ing eclipse and nature's as much and therefore my dps was lower.

I consistently put up 100-175 more dps by going back to my other gear (on 70 target dummies).

I think it speaks to what kind of gear you can get and what you are sacrificing by going to Haste vs Crit vs Spell Power.

Usually the higher the ilvl the better the item, but haste gets better the more you have of it. Having .75 second Wraths was awesome, but it was harder to manage and going to lesser gear doesn't help.

In the end, go with the gear that has the highest stat allocation towards what you need, then go for haste. I have started to socket for haste and spell damage and I like the way it works, even though most of my gear has crit and not haste.

Point for point, haste is better than crit at every reasonable level of gear, no matter how much of either you have at the time. However, gear with both haste and crit is better than gear with just one or the other due to itemization costs. This type of gear is also difficult to acquire outside of Sunwell, and prior to that point, pieces with crit have superior itemization to their closest haste counterparts. But a point of haste rating will increase your dps by more than a point of crit rating, the real decision comes down to which one your mana pool can support. At level 80 we will be able to spec into all our major sources of mana regeneration and efficiency without sacrificing damage talents, so haste would likely be the better choice when it comes to gemming decisions, but when it comes to choosing between different pieces of gear it is necessary to look at the specific stats on each item, keeping in mind that a balance of stats will almost always increase your dps the most.

And being hit capped is still the most important priority and the cheapest way to increase your damage; nothing has changed about that. After being hit capped, the best result is usually achieved by stacking runed stones until you reach a certain threshold of spellpower and reckless stones after that. There are spreadsheets that will tell you exactly what stat will benefit you the most, but a decent rule of thumb might be that it's not worth worrying about gemming for haste until you are at the point where you are socketing epic gems into all your gear.

Pre 3.0 spell hit> spell damage> spell haste > spell crit. If I remember correctly, once hit capped, stacking spell damage provided the best dps increase. After about 1150 spell damage combine stacking haste and spell damage. After around 1250 spell damage stacking haste yields the greatest damage (provided correct spell rotation of course)
    In my opinion the gear should make up for the mana problems itself. Stacking crit, while helping your mana regen, provides less damage than spell power and haste.
    So itemize for your gear accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9
    Well, it is crit based if you gear for crit . Though that will mean that you have much less dps potential than possible with the itemlevel used.

The way I've been told is, hit cap like everyone says, then gear for crit, gem for haste. Been working fine for me so far, even if im not up in t6 gear.

Quote Originally Posted by junirel
    I prefer high crit cuz I just like seeing big numbers....
    so at what's better crit vs haste... and is there a point where it switches off?
    i would take crit over haste because Nature's Grace would bring your wrath down to 1 sec, and you cant get the GCD lower then 1 sec.

if your using starfire then take haste