Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Now, I've been playing my priest since 2005 and i know that we do not have a set "rotation" like some classes do. But I'm looking to see what some of you other Spriests do with the changes to VT and VE (if not already done, but soon to come with the less % healing to party).

    As of now i open with: VT>VE>MB>SWP>DP>MF then cycle through MB, MF as cool downs are up, and if my MB isn't up yet I'll throw in a SWD.

    I still feel like I'm constantly having to disperse, Shadow Fiend, and Pot a lot more often then before. I understand that our mechanics are being setup and geared for level 80, but anyone have a starting cycle that feels like it keeps Replenishment up more often?

  2. #2

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    it's due to the lack of meditation.

    personally I have like 350 mp5 OS5SR so I'm about 100 mp5 short of what I was use to before. once we get to 80 we shouldn't be struggling like we are.

    I don't think the rotation has much to do with it really. took me a while to stop casting SWP as it was melted into my brain to keep it up.

    Haste isn't as good now imo. It's just a faster way of going OOM. pre patch it was fine because we were returning so much more mana. Since I've started stacking crit over haste I'm seeing more IST uptime so better personal regen.

  3. #3

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleir
    it's due to the lack of meditation.

    Since I've started stacking crit over haste I'm seeing more IST uptime so better personal regen.
    I completely forgot about Meditation! That is probably a HUGE portion of what I am missing atm. Thanks for that.

    Anyone else have anything they have noticed is working well for them?

  4. #4

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Verran
    I completely forgot about Meditation! That is probably a HUGE portion of what I am missing atm. Thanks for that.

    Anyone else have anything they have noticed is working well for them?
    Yes, find a paladin to judge wisdom on your target!

    Basically, grinding is intended to involve downtime now. Solo you will have to drink. Sorry. :-(

  5. #5

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Can't say with replenishment, dispersion, 3min fiend I have any downtime soloing and have very little downtime chain pulling instances. I'm not spec'd into meditation atm either, all my 61 points are in the shadow tree.

    Firstly... your opening sequence shouldn't involve SW:P or DP until you have 5 stacks of shadowweaving. This will save you having to cast SW:P a 2nd time for the encounter and you'll get the best DPM out of DP waiting a short while later.

    My opening sequence of casts are VE (unless I deliberately dont want VE up) VT, MB, SW, MF, MF, MB, SW:P, DP... this ensures i have 5 stacks of shadowweaving for my longest lasting dots and also provides a chance for Imp Spirit Tap to proc which will increase the damage of SW:P for the entire duration of the encounter. This opening sequence also gets replenishment up and running immediately.

    If you are chain pulling trash, bench SW:P and DP and in some circumstances don't even bother with VT because mobs aren't living long enough for it to be worth the mana cost. All you want to do is to have replenishment up as much as possible so I tend to cast VT on the non DPS target, and MB to get replenishment going and switch to the dps target.

    In any case, even with no meditation i'm having 0 mana problems... that's not to say my mana pool is as big as it was but there are more than enough tricks up a spriest sleeve to manage mana.

  6. #6

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Verran
    Now, I've been playing my priest since 2005 and i know that we do not have a set "rotation" like some classes do. But I'm looking to see what some of you other Spriests do with the changes to VT and VE (if not already done, but soon to come with the less % healing to party).

    As of now i open with: VT>VE>MB>SWP>DP>MF then cycle through MB, MF as cool downs are up, and if my MB isn't up yet I'll throw in a SWD.

    I still feel like I'm constantly having to disperse, Shadow Fiend, and Pot a lot more often then before. I understand that our mechanics are being setup and geared for level 80, but anyone have a starting cycle that feels like it keeps Replenishment up more often?
    I think, you want to wait for a 5 stack of weaving before putting up a SWP else you need to refresh it later.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  7. #7

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Quote Originally Posted by antidan
    I think, you want to wait for a 5 stack of weaving before putting up a SWP else you need to refresh it later.
    Which hurts me with crusade card, I tell you......

  8. #8

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    I dont know why, but SW is giving two stacks of weaving.
    I start with (at raids) VT, SW:P, Devouring Plague, MB, SW, Mindflay. Then renew SW:P one time with active trinkets, other dots if they're running out and use MB, SW whenever their CD is over. Since MF is able to crit, I sometimes use a Mindflay instead of a SW, mostly in fights where you get a lot of dmg by boss abilities, because there's the danger of selfkilling you. But I'm sure you know that already

    If I'm normal farming or doing some dailyquests, I open with VT, then one MB and one MF to get the mobs over the jordan.

    At raid there is allways a paladin judging wisdom, togehter with dispersion, skilled Shadowfiend, mage's skilled waterelemental and reduced boss-hp I never have to use a manapot. My mana percentage is getting lower similar to the boss-hp percentage. So it just fits perfect.

    I'm sorry if there are any grammatical faults in the text but if you find one you're allowed to keep him

  9. #9

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    I noticed SWD giving 2 stacks too.

    if I'm dot farming I'll swap some of my gear over to my healing gear as I dont' need crit, haste or hit as much. I'm not grinding lvl 73's after all.

    the constant spirit tap uptime while VT/SWP'ing every mob is returning somewhat like 700 mp5 while casting with the big spirit contribution from the healing version of the gear.

  10. #10

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Yeah, I also might want to point out that really the only fight I have been doing with my Spriest is HH. LOL. That's probably the WORST place to base anything off of but with the changes done to Shadow Weaving I like the idea of getting the 5 stack and then using SWP and DP.


  11. #11

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Blizz are finally... (thank GOD), thinking of moving/changing the requirements for meditation, if you look at what they've done for other classes like druids - dropping important mandatory talents in price so they can get "fun" stuff i can only think "bout frigging time they got to us."

    If it goes ahead, which, tbh, from precidences theyve set, it really should imho then we wont have to worry much about how bloated and stretched our trees are and this mana problem may be solved with no sacrifice.

    sorry for being off topic, but it kinda adressed your point ;p
    I tasted bacon.. one day..

  12. #12

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    It seems that we wont use SW in Wotlk since it leads to a dps loss...simcraft told me that.

    And i hope they will fix the SW:P "bug".

    So SP priest will only do

    1. Keeping Dots near 100% on the Target
    2. Use MB at every CD
    3. Use MF during CD's while Dots are up.

    It was this in BC(with SW) and will stay the same @ LK. I really dont get it why this question is coming up that often ^^

    In BC the only question i had was " Do I use MB before SW if both are rdy or the other way" --> MB first !

    With what u start depends.. if u had to run in ( Kalec) U will use Instants till you stand in position..
    if u are on right spot from begining (patchwerk) u will cast vT->Dp->SW:P(if they fix it) and then vE ..

    mfg

  13. #13

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    It seems that we wont use SW in Wotlk since it leads to a dps loss...simcraft told me that.

    And i hope they will fix the SW:P "bug".

    So SP priest will only do

    1. Keeping Dots near 100% on the Target
    2. Use MB at every CD
    3. Use MF during CD's while Dots are up.

    It was this in BC(with SW) and will stay the same @ LK. I really dont get it why this question is coming up that often ^^

    In BC the only question i had was " Do I use MB before SW if both are rdy or the other way" --> MB first !

    With what u start depends.. if u had to run in ( Kalec) U will use Instants till you stand in position..
    if u are on right spot from begining (patchwerk) u will cast vT->Dp->SW:P(if they fix it) and then vE ..

    mfg
    If they never do fix SW:P, and mana is ever a problem, SW might find a niche spot as a good option at the start of the fight to get your Stacks running, but meh who knows.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  14. #14

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    I am runing 5/0/56 and mana is no issue even in long borring figths like 3 maning onyxia (sp as the only dps) i have zero issues , just use your current tools and you wont need to worry at all .

    In late Sunwell gear Haste still pays off more then crit for the simple fact you dont ride the RNG train , tbh i cant w8 until the new itemization since we will have alot more options aviable and gear sets to fool around.

    The rotation is a lie! you have a dps cycle (or what ever you want to call it) and you can only minmax the inicial casting ... Mine is simple

    - VT > SWD > DP > MB > FLAY , Trinket up SWP and keep the cycle going acording to needs , in short figth (under 2 mn's) i only cast DP once in the start but i migth get it into the cycle , still fresh and atm havent done alot of testing.
    http://eonguild.powerguild.net/forum.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by Healingprick
    They should add an Diminish on Return on QQ's

  15. #15

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    A refreshed SW:P will change the "trinked" dmg to normal.

    This works but this dont work with Shadowweaving stacks..... really annoying :>

  16. #16

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Psh! Shadow Priest rotation is simple:

    Melt Face>Melt Face>Melt Face

  17. #17

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    It was this in BC(with SW) and will stay the same @ LK. I really dont get it why this question is coming up that often ^^
    I was only looking to compare what I do now with what others have found to work for them. But everything else you said makes perfect sense and seems on par :P

    Quote Originally Posted by artan
    The rotation is a lie! you have a dps cycle (or what ever you want to call it) and you can only minmax the inicial casting
    Now notice how i put the word Rotation in " " ;D. But also I have yet to try anything other than Horseman, Necropolis events (Where i was forced to heal because everyone says, "It's the same thing now, so HEAL!". . .DAMN YOU SPELLPOWER) and I'm sure if I were to go in and ACTUALLY do BT again I'd feel a lot different. Again, just wanted to see and compare what others are "opening" with

    Quote Originally Posted by Torrian
    Psh! Shadow Priest rotation is simple:

    Melt Face>Melt Face>Melt Face
    And even more so with us having some better DPS numbers 8)

  18. #18

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    Yes, find a paladin to judge wisdom on your target!

    Basically, grinding is intended to involve downtime now. Solo you will have to drink. Sorry. :-(
    Actually currently soloing is easier on mana than raiding. You kill a mob and with imp Spirit Tap, you are back to full mana by the time you hit the next mob. Two issues with raiding. One mentioned above was that meditation was a staple of our spec pre-3.0. Now to get all the new Shadow Talents at 70 you can't get meditation. That is a big impact in a raid. Second is the new mechanics of VT. Pre-3.0 your entire party including yourself would get the mana regen benefits of VT. Now since it is raid wide, you might be receiving no personal benefits from VT at all. If there are 10 people with less mana than you, too bad no regen for you.

  19. #19

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zwara
    Second is the new mechanics of VT. Pre-3.0 your entire party including yourself would get the mana regen benefits of VT. Now since it is raid wide, you might be receiving no personal benefits from VT at all. If there are 10 people with less mana than you, too bad no regen for you.
    Holy Hell didn't even think of that factor. So I really want to focus on being one of the 10 members of my raid with low mana. . . OR just do 10 man raiding where there would be no issue :-X

  20. #20
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: Shadow Priest Spell "Rotation"

    Running with 3 people who can Replenish (me being one) in Sunwell caused me to have nearly constant Replenishment.

    It's not a issue =)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •