Quickest way to Level as a Paladin?

I've never been a huge fan of levelling, nor was I level 60 for the TBC rush, however this weekend I hope to level as quickly as I can. I was simply wondering if anyone had some tips for levelling as a Paladin?

Currently I respecced Retribution to level, although I heard AoE grinding can also do well. Is it a good idea to AoE grind non-stop rather than quest as Ret? If so, Holy or Prot?

Truthfully I wish I new more about how to level, but it can be an annoying subject to research seeing as many have different opinions. I know the Warlock who was first to hit Level 80 grinded, although I'm not sure if grinding is would be the best for a Paladin.

So overall, I'm simply wondering:

-Should I Grind, Instance or Quest?
    -Which spec should I be for it?
    -Prot or Holy for AoE Grinding?

Any and all opinions are appreciated! If you believe theres a post already discussing it, could you please direct me in the right direction? I cannot access the WoW Forums here at school, although I would check it out as soon as I get home.

Edit: Here's my gear level for the three specs.

Holy - Best there is, end T6
    Prot - T5 Equivalent
    Ret - T4 and a little above

Re: Quickest way to Level as a Paladin?

Quickest would be AoE grinding as Prot (with decent gear!)

Funniest is definitely Ret, doing the quests. You should do the quests ! You need the rep and you can have nice rewards so it's the best way.

(with decent gear!)
    I suppose I should clarify on my gear level for all three specs.

Holy - Best there is, end T6
    Prot - T5 Equivalent
    Ret - T4 and a little above

Mortalsin

There is rarely enough mobs around to AOE grind and casters are a pain to kill as prot. I haven't specc'd holy in forever, but with the nerf to prot and holy damage, i can't see it as being very fast or fun. I think ret will be the fastest way to specc and its the way im going to level when i get wrath.

I plan on doing instances to check them out and repeat the ones with gear that I won't be replacing for a while or rep that i need anyway.

Deleted

Mortal dont talk about shit u dont know... theres ALOT of AOE grind spots atleast as far as ive been.. lvl 73 atm aoegrinding / instancerunning with my prot paladin, goes pretty fast, dont have much time to play and dont wanna do any quests with retspecc cause its so damn boring.. but yes there are alot of AOE spots around

AoE is by far the fastest, but it can get boring if you aren't creative.

Find good AE spots, find a few quests near them. Keep running dungeons nonstop. As a tank it shouldn't be hard to put groups together. Max out your attainable rep with the instance faction then turn around and do quests later.

I plan to hit 80 off Borean Tundra, Howling Fjord, and pure instancing. I don't get Wrath until tonight so we shall see.

honestly, it will depend on you. if you're good with aoe grinding it can be just as fast as ret leveling. in my case I have all isle badge and crafted epic ret gear and only T4 prot gear. for me ret as my main spec will be fastest. and with the instant FoL's, Divine Storm, Consecration scaling, and Holy Wrath, aoe grinding as Ret will be just as valid and possibly the fastest way to go. use BoW and JoW and mana shouldn't be a prob with AoW proc FoL's to stay topped off on health.

if your prot gear is better though then that will likely be the fastest way at least till your prot gear isn't so epic to the mobs you're fighting.

since AoW procs off of judgements, CS, and DS now instead of just judgements before you should never have hp issues as ret, with JotW, BoW, and JoW mana shouldn't be a problem at all either. the new ret and prot trees are both amazing for leveing though. holy still sucks for leveling... choose prot or ret based on what sounds more fun. either way it can be done fast.

Would prot ever have mana problems when AoE farming? The general message I'm getting so far is that I should go Prot, and I think I will, although I'm now wondering if anyone knows the more specifics of the AoE Levelling Technique as Prot with the new changes.

Edit: And I know there are Guides out there, but I couldn't find one for after the Patch / Expansion, which ahs changed so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyfern
    Would prot ever have mana problems when AoE farming? The general message I'm getting so far is that I should go Prot, and I think I will, although I'm now wondering if anyone knows the more specifics of the AoE Levelling Technique as Prot with the new changes.
    On 3 or more mobs, prot mana problems don't exist. The new blessing of sanctuary is incredible.

To do something like the classic Belf pull http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTWCmJ7sVS8 (not me, Pennywise is terrible). Up seal of light and use judge of light. Whenever you're on more than 3 mobs. A spell damage weapon deals more damage. HotR can proc light off 3 mobs plus the judgement chance. Ideally use a shield spike and if the rest of your gear is good enough, use the sporeggar rep shield.

The basic idea to prot AoE is as follows:
    1) The new blessing of sanc will give you an unlimited supply of mana. It was doable before, but took a little finesse.
    2) Consecration will your main damage dealer. You won't be "actively" trying to deal damage, other than keeping consecrate on the ground.
    3) The rest of your damage is reflective. Ret aura, shield spike, etc (old school blessing of sanc :-X)
    4) Auto attacks and HotR exist to proc seal and judge effect. Swapping to a spell damage weapon will lower white hits and HotR but that's not important.

EDIT: spellchecker fails

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyfern
    Is it a good idea to AoE grind non-stop rather than quest as Ret? If so, Holy or Prot?
    I'm thinking maybe Holy AND Prot -- a 31/31/0 build when you reach level 71, to have both Holy Shield (for damage reduction/reflective damage) and Holy Shock (for beefy instant self-healing). I may respec this just to experiment.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Ok quickest and easiest answer for your question is as follows;

I have been a pally for almost 4 years now. I only own one lvl 70 and all the time played is devoted to my one pally. I entered Northrend with t6 equivalent Tank and Holy gear. My ret is comparable to t5+.

I'm lvl 72 with only a few bars away from 73. I've taken my leveling a bit slow even. I could easily be top lvl on my server if I had the time (or lack of a life) to do as much.

So down to the grit and dirt of it all. I'm rocking a half tank half holy set with a full tank talent spec. Reason for it is as follows. I'm sitting at bout 14k health, 8k mana unbuffed. With blessing of sanctuary buffed and seal of wisdom up all the time I can not only aoe lvl but also do alot of other stuff a ret pally could. Grant it 1v1 pve combat can be slow, most of your benefits to mana loss per xp gained comes from trying to pull 3 or more mobs. I've personally by myself tanked and healed my way through several 2-3 person quests. Its very easy. And at odd times yes I'll do a instance but only if quests permit. I have the borean achievment for all quests done etc etc. Working on dragonblights version as well. Like I said easy as cake and well worth your time.

So here the nutshell version. Half tank half holy set of gear. Full prot spec. Promised to give you results.

Just go ret, it's a lot faster than prot aoe grinding, and a lot more fun. I'm saying this as someone who's got 16.7k hp unbuffed in prot and fairly awful ret gear (126 dps 2 hander, 1700 ap)

Mortalsin

Quote Originally Posted by Smekt
    Mortal dont talk about shit u dont know... theres ALOT of AOE grind spots atleast as far as ive been.. lvl 73 atm aoegrinding / instancerunning with my prot paladin, goes pretty fast, dont have much time to play and dont wanna do any quests with retspecc cause its so damn boring.. but yes there are alot of AOE spots around
    Just becuase you don't agree with me doesn't mean you should attack me. He asked for peoples opinion and i gave mine. I think you should probably try each spec and stick with the one you like the best. For soloing i enjoy ret the most. ill stick with that unless i have to go holy or prot to instance, i have all three sets, too.

I am a level 75 Ret Paladin, who raids/instances as a Protection. I have been doing quests mostly, with a few runs into the instances, mostly to do quests for the huge 45,000XP gains. I am ignoring my professions (Enchanting and Alchemy, I also have a farm mage), in favor of rushing to 80 and working on them then.

So far I am having a great time, and seeing some very cool quests.

A WoW Blog.
    WoW. Blog. Easy.
    http://iamashersc.blogspot.com

15+ Year Old Account

Um is this a real question? Ret 100%.

-Ridiculous mana regen with JotW (have not drank yet - lvl 74)
    -Can aoe grind just as well as prot with DS and instant flash of light, and the same abilities allowed me to so far solo every group quest
    -Clearly the maximum damage spec
    -Pursuit of justice for quickly going from mob to mob

Maximum damage to single and multiple targets, little to no downtime for drinking, healing, etc, easy soloing of group quests...

Don't see where there is any other choice really.

I just wanna start a thread, but found that one... so i reply here:

I've been wondering if any of you could name some GOOD grinding spots, ("low life" mobs + many off them + hostiled ones) - the drak-jin ruins are down ^^ (mobs didn't give ep anylonger...) and atm I grind the kodos around tundra...

As far as I can say, prot aeing is increadible... currently I'm lvl 72 and req: 2hours for half a lvl with that shitty mobs ._. (quite fast, but I think there is some space for do it even quicker with a good spot!)

but nonetherless I ask my self also what way really IS the quickest and therefore the most effectiv one... and I also admit that prot > ret... but for fun I guess yea.. ret > prot ^^

My prot gear is something around t5 with 16k like unbuffed, but I also got full s4 for ret =/ so really... I'm not 100% sure if it rly is the BEST way to stick to prot grind......
    But anyway I'd rly appreciate it for naming some good grinding spots...
    - Thanks alot -