Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is it me or is it hard to DK tank

Is it me or is it hard to DK tank? How do you guys hold agro and live? WOtlk exp ppl please respond only spec and techniques>

Re: Is it me or is it hard to DK tank

It's a matter of skill.

DK is a very intence class witch requires a lot of attention and skill from the tank.
    You can't just tank and spank things. One thing is for sure, clickers CAN'T impossible tank effective as a DK.

Im currently on deep frost specc and using over 20 hotkeys frequently to make it work. It's more about knowing what abilities to use, plan ahead, keep diseases up, slow things, AOE dmg, protect ect. ect.

it will take time to get used to it... you're probably restricting yourself to certain abilities... there is no "cruise control" abilities (like devastate, consecrate, tclap etc.) in the dk aresenal

everything is dependatnt on everything... thats why this class is so much fun right now
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    it will take time to get used to it... you're probably restricting yourself to certain abilities... there is no "cruise control" abilities (like devastate, consecrate, tclap etc.) in the dk aresenal

everything is dependatnt on everything... thats why this class is so much fun right now
    word

Omgprästfan

could you please link your 20 hotkeys...

btw im a clicker (for now i just want to ding 80 THEN start on m UI and macros, i dunno its just the way i want to do it)
    all i really do is keep my dots up and DnD down and its game over really NOT COUNTING my cool downs i use them when i need them

unholy DK btw

Quote Originally Posted by Mofoe
    Is it me or is it hard to DK tank? How do you guys hold agro and live? WOtlk exp ppl please respond only spec and techniques>
    Its harder before you get second taunt and all survival abilities imo.
    And indeed its alot easier as frost.

Quote Originally Posted by sfbr
    Omgprästfan

could you please link your 20 hotkeys...
    will do 4 pm

Yeah, it's very challenging.
    But really rewarding.
    I hit 69 and went to Utgarde with my guildies (they are good), and respecced frost to tank my first instance.
    We cleared it only wiping cause we didn't know one of the fights, then the second time, really well.
    I have to work hard to tank well, but it feels good, especially after having just respecced and being underlevel and undergeared.
    Personally I love it.

so you dont find its just a matter of frost presence+death and decay?

btw im a clicker (for now i just want to ding 80 THEN start on m UI and macros, i dunno its just the way i want to do it)
    It's a LOT harder to do it that way. When you roll a new class, the FIRST thing you should do it set up all your key bindings, at the very least for the major abilities if not everything. When I start a character, they sit in the opening zone, doing at most 2 quests, before every key bind for every ability they will ever get is set up. Learning as a clicker means it's horribly hard to get used to key bindings once you've got them.

Also, be sure to unbind Q and E. Rebind A and D to strafing. It forces you to not be a mouse-turner, which in turns means it's not possible to be a clicker and still pull off tanking. And it gives you 6+ new bindings in extremely easy-to-reach spots.

Just tanked Utgarde Keep as frost. Keeping aggro was really, really easy, IT > PS > Pestilence > Howling Blast

Staying alive was another story though. My tank gear isn't great but my health was a roller coaster ride. If our healer had not been as good as he is, would have been a very tricky run.

edit: It is also worth noting I am specced for DW frost DPS. Only tanking talent I have is frigid dreadplate.

They seem to be able to tank anything but the amount of burst dmg they take is massive. As someone who likes to tank i was rly looking forward to another tanking class, but from what i've seen im a bit dissapointed so far.

I don't doubt they'll be the best anti-magic tanks nor that they will be able to tank every boss. But from what i've seen on general melee mobs they get out performed by warriors, pallies and druids bigtime.

Atm i doubt a DK will be a valiable maintank for most raids. Though ill probably still give it a go (to annoy the healers ^^) .

perhaps it's because I'm unholy but TPS for me has been easy as hell. smack down a death and decay but up your diseases on 1 target and then pestilence and they stuck to me like glue.

I am unholy too, did BF yesterday. Tanking was no biggy, I skull the main target and ask people only to respect skull. By the time skull is down I usually had enough aggro around on the rest of the party to let the group have their go it them. I even had a mage and pally AOEing stuff as soon as main target was down, didn't seem like a big deal. As for being main tanks in raid I think it is going to be very viable. You just need to learn how to use them, what to get in terms of gear etc and you should be fine. I am prolly not going to hit Frost until prolly Duel specs get released. Right now with Unholy I am doing a good job, dmg sometimes spike but that's cause I was late in realizing something would out of place, one the pieces click, it's quite easy... I am loving Strangulate and mind freeze ;D.
    In life pain is mandatory; Suffering however, is optional...
    Source: Naruto

It's just you.

Try this: Icy touch - plague strike - pestilence - death and decay.

Then stand there and cycle your survival skills. Keep using pestilence and BB to hold them. That's all I use and I had no problem holding aoe aggro against ZA geared druid/warlock and t6 hunter.

For dk's having trouble staying alive, remember cooldowns are your friend! A big part of dk tanking is managing your cooldowns (UBA, IBF, BA, LB) so depending on which ones you have you have to set up a good rotation. If you plan them out right you can keep one going most of the fight. This is a lot different than warrior tanking as cooldowns were for ohshit moments. DK cooldowns are for whenever one isn't active and not on cooldown

clicky for armory

Don't by into the "you can't be a clicker" hype. I click 100% of my abilites and have had no trouble holding aggro. Just gotta be alert and know what your clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderlei
    Don't by into the "you can't be a clicker" hype. I click 100% of my abilites and have had no trouble holding aggro. Just gotta be alert and know what your clicking.
    Idd! Ofc you can be a clicker, I would say I am a mix I have my most used spells binded and i click some other spells, this way I don't loose any click time that a clicker might loose.

DK tanking - no opinion..

Holding aggro as DK tank seems like the least of your worries. Assuming the people you play dont try to 'zomg nukes!' the second you pull then you should (in theory) have no issue with the aggro. That said, the few times I tanked in beta my main complaint was controlling multiple mobs which isnt really an issue once you get over the cool down stuff like a previous poster said. And for the record I tanked as blood, unholy, and frost....so you can make it work with whatever spec you have

Unlike pallies/druids/warriors, you dont have priorities, you have a true rogue-esque cycle - the cycle is pretty strict so a resistance or a miss needs to be noted and accounted for.

On top of that you have interupts, taunts, charge and a tonne of o'shi buttons.

And youre tanking.

Funfunfun