Re: 80 Frost tank spec - comments & suggestions?

I suggest you dont tank with dual wield so you can put 3 talent points from Nerves of Cold Steel into another talents (epidemic is great).

Endless winter, chillbrains, hungering cold = not needed for tanking. Epidemic is very good and any tank worth his weight will have it

Use a 2 hander and this spec if you want to frost tank

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=091900020500

clicky for armory

theres no way im putting 51 pts in frost and not getting HC.

I like the 2H spec, I was thinking that myself.

mine would be look like this: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=091900020500
    Runic Power Mastery & Chill of the Grave for more Frost Strikes

and yeah i would tank with dualwield: it means more dodge, parry, defencerating etc

Quote Originally Posted by Grimhammer

and yeah i would tank with dualwield: it means more dodge, parry, defencerating etc
    You will lose much more coz you must use gem with hit rat instead of parry, dodge, def etc.

Quote Originally Posted by erikdsn
    theres no way im putting 51 pts in frost and not getting HC.

I like the 2H spec, I was thinking that myself.
    Umm why? You want to tank yes? HC is absolutely useless for anything outside of pvp. If you want to pvp get HC, if you want to tank don't waste the point.

All the 51 pt talents really suck for pve. DRW is ok for dps, but the gargoyle in unholy is better than it. UB utterly sucks after the nerf, and HC is only good for PVP. Read the tooltip, how does that sound useful for tanking? If you say to hold multiple mobs you're wrong as you'll be using DnD, pest, HB, BB to hold aoe. The only thing it could possibly be useful for would be to use at the beginning of a multi mob pull, but you can't cause it costs 60 RP

Runic Power spent on HC is runic power not spent on frost strikes.

clicky for armory

Quote Originally Posted by Grimhammer

Enjoy getting yourself parry-gibbed. There's a reason warriors don't dual wield tank. Same concept applies to Death Knights.

Besides, go look at the blue comments that said if DK's end up DW tanking, they'll fix it so you can't.
    Walking to Mordor. 120.4/6230km
    1RMs: bench-111.1kg, squat-147.4kg, deadlift-158.8kg

I agree with the fact that HC is useless in any regard in PvE, you can easily get all the mobs chilled with pest. I think THE frost build is going to be something like this:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=191110050403

Quote Originally Posted by Narcissism
    I agree with the fact that HC is useless in any regard in PvE, you can easily get all the mobs chilled with pest. I think THE frost build is going to be something like this:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=191110050403
    The good ol no spec build eh?

clicky for armory

Odd, the link is working for me. I'll try replacing it

Quote Originally Posted by Narcissism
    Odd, the link is working for me. I'll try replacing it
    Oops sorry it's me not you, for some reason the talent calc isn't working properly for me right now :-\

clicky for armory

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFerret
    There's a reason warriors don't dual wield tank. Same concept applies to Death Knights.
    The reason Warriors dont dual wield tank is because they would loose a massive amount of armor and ability to block, where as a DK wouldnt.

Explain to me in detail how DW tanking is different than 2 hand.

I broadly agree on the uselessness of Hungering Cold for end game tanking, but I've specced it anyway and I plan to tank raids with my Frost Death Knight. Why spec it then, I hear you cry? I don't think 1 point makes *too* much difference, and for 5-man instances/trash pulls it's an extra oh s**t button for multi-mob pulls, to give your Healer a breathing space if things get tough.

Yes yes "If your healer can't cope with trash and 5-mans, your healer sucks", blah blah and other elitist crap like that aside, sometimes mobs get away from the tank, or you get sudden unexpected patrols or adds in the mix, and it's nice to have an extra way to stop them all gibbing your healer and causing an un-necessary wipe. My 2c anyway, I'm keeping Hungering Cold.

For general commentary on Frost Builds, 5-5x-7 seems to have just about as much Avoidance as you can squeeze into a Death Knight build, and the extra disease duration from Unholy which is yum.

you know i actually didnt have a lot of respect for the hungering cold till i actually tried it. if your in a group that is smart enough to keep it in mind (i.e. a guild run on vent, not a pug) it can be an amazing utility to buy yourself time to burn down a few mobs or give your healer a moment to breath. dont bother with pugs of course. some jack ass will always living bomb or SoC or volley into the crowd screwing you over, but in a smart run i dunno if i could go back to not having it
    all hail king frost strike

so far ive only seen frost raid tank builds, is it possible to raidtank as unholy or shud i just stick with frost?

as for me i think im going with

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=161513050604

Precisely my point Psicorp A lot of people rubbish certain abilities before actually trying them and finding a use for them. Still, each to their own - it wouldn't do for us all to be the same, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Soresu
    Precisely my point Psicorp A lot of people rubbish certain abilities before actually trying them and finding a use for them. Still, each to their own - it wouldn't do for us all to be the same, eh?
    Eh i've tried it out in pve a couple times, used it a lot in arenas. However in my opinion it just costs way too much runic power. I usually never have over 40-50 rp before i frost strike or rune strike. So in oh shit moments i'm more than likely not going to have 60 rp just waiting to be dumped.

clicky for armory