The big Protection tankadin topic

I can't find anything usefull on these forums about protection paladins..

Yesterday I respecced to protection on my lvl 71 paladin. As you all know tanks and healers are hard to find during the launch of a new expension. Everybody goes dps for smooth lvling, well respeccing to prot was a good decision, I get in any instance I want (in my lvl range), and lvling is still doable. I don't get ganked too much (I guess out of respect being prot?).

Anyway, back on topic (want to keep it short so you read it all);

What abilities do I use while tanking an instance:
    • Ofc buffed up (will be getting BoK the next 5 lvls)
    • Starter is always Avenger's shield, nice aggro starting pull
    • When in range Judge, holy shield, followed by Shield of the templar, consecration if many mobs - judge - shield of the templar etc

So actually, tanking as pala is easy, I use maybe 4 buttons during a fight, nice right?

Questions:
    How much defense do you need on lvl 80?
    Maybe link some nice prot specs? Mine is this atm: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=000000000000

Deleted

Re: The big Protection tankadin topic

Quote Originally Posted by Bik
    I can't find anything usefull on these forums about protection paladins..
    Well, there's the FAQ..

Questions:
    How much defense do you need on lvl 80?
    You need 540 def at 80 to be uncrittable.

As far as I know there isn´t a "Shield of the Templar" ability, there's a talent by that name -- At 75 you'll get "Shield of Righteousness." Until then, you're basically right.
    Personally, I love the new Blessing of Sanctuary, it makes mana a nonfactor, so I give BoK to the others and keep BoS for myself basically always, especially when soloing. Basically with the new patch, threat is usually not a factor, so as long as you keep Righteous Fury up (I tend to forget and it usually means a dead warlock =P).
    For grinding, I'd argue in favor of protection doing it the fastest, perhaps not "Kill X leader of the Y and bring me his head" -- but definitly for "Kill 30 X."
    Personally, I can't wait to reach Sholazar (sp?) Basin in the hopes it will be the new Nagrand with loads and loads of grinding.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=000000000000

I'd use this one, filling in ranks of "Shield of the Templar" so that you have 3/3 by 75 when you get Shield of Righteousness. Improved Devotion Aura can also wait until you get closer to 80, Retribution Aura is probably better. Sacred Duty is 6% more stam, which is always good.

Rotation: Seal, (my favorites are Seal of Corruption (Vengeance) or Seal of Wisdom if mana is a problem for some reason)
    Toss shield
    Consecrate, holy shield, judge, hammer of righteousness.
    Yes, tanking is not that many buttons, but it's your responsibility to take care of the group, making a run for that stray mob, using Hand of Protection on the healer that is about to get owned... Learning how to use Line of Sight to your advantage, finding niches in walls is one of my favorite hobbies =).

Now for the TLDR moaning =S

man you need sacred duty... it gives us bonus stam and a pretty good amount and it makes our divine protection spell a 4 minute cd and gets rid of the attack speed penelty so that if your getting your ass kicked you wont suffer too badly when it comes to threat, take advantange of our new not as good as shield wall shield wall, just take some out of reckoning I only have one point in it and i tank better then most all the pallys I know.
    Can't stop the train baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    ShoR is the highest damage ability for me. It hits for ~1.8k (i've got 850 BV) and crits for 3.6-4.4K., there's some slight RNG on it's damage with the libram equipped, but it's pretty much predictable, in that i know if a target has less than 1.7K hp, it's guaranteed to kill them.

But, while it's our highest damage ability, it's also our lowest mana cost ability. It's costing me 137 mana! Yes, i'm talented for Guarded by the Light, you'd be stupid not to. I'm also talented for Benediction. This one's up to you. I take it as i was going OOM so easily.
    O.O I´m not 75 yet, I never dreamed ShoR would be that good, oh my goodness gracious, I´ve GOT to get leveling

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic
    O.O I´m not 75 yet, I never dreamed ShoR would be that good, oh my goodness gracious, I´ve GOT to get leveling
    I just hit 75 last night, and I was only slightly excited about ShoR.

Then I used it. I went to Grizzly Hills and pounded the first thing I could see.

I was grinning like an idiot for the rest of the night. It is glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Clasifyd
    I just hit 75 last night, and I was only slightly excited about ShoR.

Then I used it. I went to Grizzly Hills and pounded the first thing I could see.

I was grinning like an idiot for the rest of the night. It is glorious.
    Eagerly grinding for L75 for JC trinkets and Shield, and ability to use the 969 rotation (there's a full explaination in the tankadin FAQ or on maintankadin) properly been anticipating SotR for a while now, might go for the SotR libram but like my BV one for survivability as well for AoE. Chronalis, you seem a well experienced tankadin, so I'm surprised at saying this to you - 1/2 imp. judgements is better than 2/2 for a rotation, especially past 75 when you have SotR and so a seamless 969 rotation, yeah, you've got one filler if you're going conviction after heart but you will get absolutely no use out of the second imp. judgement point.

Ah, can't argue with that Wil have a play with it when I hit 75, thanks, won't lose much by grabbing 2/2 judge anyway as there's a filler to grab conviction.

Probably going to only put one solid dragon's eye in a trinket tbh, might save the other two for more stam socket bonuses, else I might drop all 3 in the trinkets for both bonuses.

IMO if people seriously need a FAQ on how to tank they need to reroll :

play your class, you'll know how i works and can tank with SKILL not by reading a forum.

now im not talking about perfecting a rotation... im talking these FAQs that give the basics.... they should know this already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    IMO if people seriously need a FAQ on how to tank they need to reroll :

play your class, you'll know how i works and can tank with SKILL not by reading a forum.

now im not talking about perfecting a rotation... im talking these FAQs that give the basics.... they should know this already.
    IMO you should help people instead of just bitching at them for not knowing the basics.

You're that person who answers every question asked in game with "wowhead.com scrub".

yes I am... I looked quests up, why can't you?

Why do you even bother looking at these topics if all you're going to do is put down the people who post in them? I see no problem with asking these questions. What if the OP (perhaps not this particular one but for other similar posts) was someone who played Ret or Holy pretty much exclusively but wanted to try out tanking? It would surely be helpful for them to ask a few questions first before they try their hand at it.

cus i thought this could be a good topic/discussion about rotations and instead its a topic about the basics which everyone should already understand.

cus i thought this could be a good topic/discussion about rotations and instead its a topic about the basics which everyone should already understand.
    Go create a thread about it, this is a public forum. Ask your own questions.

yes I am... I looked quests up, why can't you?
    Never mind, you are an asshole.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Here read these:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...t=969+rotation

http://www.failsafedesign.com/mainta...ic.php?t=15212

I just reviewed them myself, as things have changed over the past 6 months. The whole 9696969696 skill rotation thing is new to me. I just did what I thought was the best way to get aggro on multiple mobs at some time while waiting for cooldowns:

Avenger shield to pull (most times)
    Judgment on skull or Concencrate if 3 or more pulled, then judgment
    hammer of the rightstuff to get more aggro on the first 3.
    Holy shield
    then go from there...

I will try to adhere to the 969 model from now on oh mightly tankadin gods (and dirty forum trolls and jerks). forgive my blasphemy for not following said rules of combat.

For single target TPS, 969 provides the highest overall threat afaik (losing out on AoE threat slightly as consec isn't down 100%), but when you look a your starting rotation there it is actually 969 assuming 1 imp. judge and a shield of the righteous afterwards. Sorry if I came across as trollish, jerkish or self-righteous (although the latter fits pally perfectly :P), just there are lots of places such as maintankadin, the big sticky about prot pallies here etc., that have info about 969. I was surprised about Chronalis not using it as I've seen him about a lot and he seems to be very knowledgable and experienced, it wasn't meant as 'noobs, learn 969 lol' or similar.

I am a newish paladin, lvled retribution to 70, played it to 71 and then switched tank for the first time.

The 969 talk kinda confused me so here it is: (found on the net)

"The 969 rotation consists of Judgment, ShoR, Holy Shield, HotR, and Consecration"

I really can't wait to get the lvl 75 ability which I hear everybody so proudly of, I am lvl 73 atm and tanking for me is still kinda hard (I can tank the Nexus and Utgard Keep though), my defense rating is ~400 so I still receive crits..

I think the 969 rotation is what I have been doing (accept for the lvl 75 skill ofc), aggro is not the problem I need more HP and defense though..

Btw is blocking very important? Does it have to do to be uncrusable (103%ish chance to miss or absorb piece of the damage?).

All the feedback in here (accept for some trolls) have been very valuable for me, thank you for that.

I don't bother with avoidance that much anymore, uncrit, then push stam while keeping some decent avoidance and relatively high BV and Str. You might end up needing to gem for def, at 74 there's the chest from ahn'kahet, and a ring at 73 from the end boss of azjol, both of which are quite nice for def, but apart from those there's some cobalt gear for tanking from BS, which is relatively high def, although there's practically no tanking gear from quests. At 74 there's a lovely mace/sword/axe (I prefer the mace, axe is only an option for blood elves really) from a zul'drak q, but can't remember many good quest reward tank items. You should aim for ~500 def roughly imo for levelling, not had any problem at all doing higher instances than my level (i.e. drak'tharon at 72, azjol/ahn'kahet at 71 etc), although I'm already relatively well geared (L75, 19k unbuffed hp and 498 def atm, still working on the second Jc trinket though and not sure which of my rings is better threat). If you're having issues with azjol/ahn'kahet at 73 then I'd say you need more def mainly, if you link to your armoury I'll have a look sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaillus
    Here read these:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...t=969+rotation

http://www.failsafedesign.com/mainta...ic.php?t=15212

I just reviewed them myself, as things have changed over the past 6 months. The whole 9696969696 skill rotation thing is new to me. I just did what I thought was the best way to get aggro on multiple mobs at some time while waiting for cooldowns:

Avenger shield to pull (most times)
    Judgment on skull or Concencrate if 3 or more pulled, then judgment
    hammer of the rightstuff to get more aggro on the first 3.
    Holy shield
    then go from there...

I will try to adhere to the 969 model from now on oh mightly tankadin gods (and dirty forum trolls and jerks). forgive my blasphemy for not following said rules of combat.
    Maintankadin is the best prot pally forum out there. Everything you could ever want to know about playing a paladin tank is there.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Now here's the question.. Sacred Shield.. I've put it in my rotation.. 500 Damage absorbed is no jokes in heroics.

But will other people?