Drain Soul - Rank 6

Has not quite lived up to my expectations, to put it mildly.

Using my 1380ish spell power lock, and casting on an NPC with no debuffs:

Rank 5 ticks for 860ish
    Rank 6 ticks for 880ish
    Rank 6 ticks for 990ish below 25%

Woohoo.

Re: Drain Soul - Rank 6

That doesn't sound right. My Drain soul ticks for over 3k under 25% hp, albeit with soul siphon and ~3 dots on it.

Here's how it works, apparently:

You have to start channeling the drain soul when the target is all ready below 25% hit points. I was under the assumption that if I started channeling at, say, 30%, then a tick would hit just as the target dropped below 25% and it would finish him off. But this isn't the case. The spell only knows the target's hit points based on the moment you start channeling.

Hence, if you start channeling at 30% and the target drops below 1/4, you get normal tick damage. If you start channeling at 20%, your ticks will be 4x.

I haven't tested yet, but I bet that if you start channeling on a target who is below 25% and then the target gets healed above 1/4... you will still get 4x damage ticks for the duration of THAT drain soul.

Good to know. Thanks for this.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Einzweidrei
    Here's how it works, apparently:

You have to start channeling the drain soul when the target is all ready below 25% hit points. I was under the assumption that if I started channeling at, say, 30%, then a tick would hit just as the target dropped below 25% and it would finish him off. But this isn't the case. The spell only knows the target's hit points based on the moment you start channeling.

Hence, if you start channeling at 30% and the target drops below 1/4, you get normal tick damage. If you start channeling at 20%, your ticks will be 4x.

I haven't tested yet, but I bet that if you start channeling on a target who is below 25% and then the target gets healed above 1/4... you will still get 4x damage ticks for the duration of THAT drain soul.
    Both true - must start channelling at or below 25% (makes getting it off on these uber weak heroic bosses a bit harder) and if the target is healed, the current cast continues to tick insanely.

1600 spell power + haunt/soul siphon/elements (corruption, siphon, elements, ua, haunt) = 5.3k ticks.

R.I.P. YARG

Confirm.... Ticks are the same if you start at anything above threshold. Turn back on percentages in your settings...helps w' this alot.
    User has been banned permanently for trolling.

15+ Year Old Account

FUN FACT

I put Corr/CoA/UA/SL/Immo up on the target, and hit him with a haunt. Cast drain soul for the shard, and the mob healed to full. Two ticks of drain soul later he was dead.

I lol'd. Was awesome.

R.I.P. YARG

Nerf... I think they ll nerf 4x dmg while hp > 25% and fix 1x tick while hp < 25%... about arenas... DS takes much time between ticks and especially before 1st tick... so may be they ll make 3x dmg in pvp, becouse i think in pve its ok.

locks got execute actually? Hope it will drain all your mana as it drains all our rage ;D

actually it costs less base mana than lower ranks ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Decapitation
    locks got execute actually? Hope it will drain all your mana as it drains all our rage ;D
    yes because rage and mana are a vompletely identical mechanic.

retard

The user has been banned for this post

re PVP....its a channeled spell that takes at least 3 seconds for the first tick. Any if the idiot on the other end of it or his team can't interupt that they deserve to eat the dmg. Or get out of range, cc, etc. Unless someone has just incredible haste the tick times are no different than casting a nuke.

A warrior's execute is instant, can't be interupted, and his every bit as hard and much faster than ours ticks.
    User has been banned permanently for trolling.

I agree, that it takes 2 long before first tick, but cuz of OMG ITS RANGE EXECUTE posts it ll be nerfed to the ground and become usefull only in PVE for making shards i think

Proc Eradiction and get 3-4k tics every 2 seconds, zomg.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurur
    I agree, that it takes 2 long before first tick, but cuz of OMG ITS RANGE EXECUTE posts it ll be nerfed to the ground and become usefull only in PVE for making shards i think
    May I introduce you to Kill Shot?

Quote Originally Posted by sahria
    yes because rage and mana are a vompletely identical mechanic.

retard
    I am not - you are, next time please notice smiley in the end

Does anyone know what happens if a target is healed up over 25%...does the drain still tick for big numbers since the cast started while it was under 25% health?

I'd like for someone to test that and report please.

Quote Originally Posted by aguladx
    Does anyone know what happens if a target is healed up over 25%...does the drain still tick for big numbers since the cast started while it was under 25% health?

I'd like for someone to test that and report please.
    Was already mentioned in the thread. The answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Both true - must start channelling at or below 25% (makes getting it off on these uber weak heroic bosses a bit harder) and if the target is healed, the current cast continues to tick insanely.

1600 spell power + haunt/soul siphon/elements (corruption, siphon, elements, ua, haunt) = 5.3k ticks.

Yep, to the OP do you have Death's Embrace and Soul Siphon maxed in your affliction tree? If so remember you'll do additional damage on your DS the more afflic debuffs you have up. I had average ticks of 7000-7200 first raids in mostly sunwell gear. I think I've seen max of 8500.

So, it sounds like there will definetly be a nerf coming.

However, I don't think that it is OP in PVP. Just like someone aboved just said, it take 3 sec to tick the first time and worse of all, it channels.
    I hope that they can cut the duration short lower the damage in exchange for 0 sec for first tick if they are going to nerf it pve solely.

However, if this is how they think about solving the problem of shards I would laugh, for this is a aff spell. And aff locks suffer least by SS. SS is ,majorly , a destro locks' problem. The rest part is that demo locks may suffers a little bit.