Leveling as Disc?

Just wondering which spec would be best to lvl with in WoTLK, i was thinking Disc considering i was a Holy PvE priest for TBC. I do not have a complete Shadow set and i would like to be able to fill the healer spot in dungeons if needed.. which is viable?

This would be for questing as well, so dealing dmg is a must.

Re: Leveling as Disc?

I would say since they are doing the duel spec thing that you could go both shadow and disc? Just a thought tho. And not sure if the duel spec will be available after wrath hits or once we hit 80, not sure.

the dual spec thing would completely solve my predicament but i have not heard if it is right as it launches or at 80 or at all.. say its not available right away, which then?

A. you should probably heal as shadow spec, i have seen many priests heal as shadow, or shama's heal as ele. I know while leveling my war i had no troubles tanking any leveling instance as fury.

B. I am pretty sure they said dual spec will be available at the first major content patch.

cheers

Heard it is not definite yet, but if done, will be in the first patch after wotk is released.
    Will save priests, cant wait

well i can only hope for dual spec then but in the mean time while i wait i think i am going to try Disc wont hurt and i wanna try out the surviveability of it, DPS shouldnt be a problem with Smite/Penance/DoTs/Shield and i wont be taking any damage virtually doing this so ill see how it goes

I am specced disc. was holy for raiding kara weekly, then went to disc for arenas, then went to the new disc spec when 3.0 came out. I must say penance is probably the best spell ever. Most IQD mobs die in 10-12 seconds (15 for warrior nagas). I would highly recommend discipline as a viable soloing option.
    I don't even use SW:P. My cast sequence is usually - Shield-> Holy Fire -> mind blast -> (Smite if mob still has over 1k hps) -> SW

look up my spec. it is sweet.

I leveled as disc, and had absolutely no problem. I was curious because everyone told me shadow was the way to go, so I respeced at 61, I respeced right back. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, and I found I died easier. Probably because I wasn't used to the abilites and such, but I like disc much better. Its the only spec I'll play as priest ;D

Disc is really mana efficient.

Shield, holy fire, shadow word pain, penance, wand + shield dmg + SW ticks = profit.

dmg absorbed by your shield will come back as mana. you will be able to solo alot of mobs before having to drink maybe not at all with shadow fiend

don't try the other rotation if you are not geared. you will run out of mana smiting too much and either way, never mindblast as disc. penance mana cost and dmg > mind blast.

yeah well ill be in my t6 healing gear so ill just see how it goes haha

Quote Originally Posted by Soothe
    yeah well ill be in my t6 healing gear so ill just see how it goes haha
    Stock that t6 with some crit rating gems and enjoy. ;D
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I am leveling as Disc in order to quest fast and heal instances. Havent ever been under 80% mana while questing and ever had to use shadowfiend - never using wand but are just nuking away. Healing instances arent a problem as well so can only recommend using Disc build to level with .

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny
    I am leveling as Disc in order to quest fast and heal instances. Havent ever been under 80% mana while questing and ever had to use shadowfiend - never using wand but are just nuking away. Healing instances arent a problem as well so can only recommend using Disc build to level with .
    Indeed. I level 70 - 75 with disc (now specced shadow for the awesomeness that is mindsear ). Absolutely no problem healing instances, always had enough mana there. Leveling was OK too. Sure I took maybe a second more per mob than with shadow (probably also because I didn't skill the -0.5 secs on holy fire and smite), but mobs died fast and I never ran out of mana. Rapture ftw.

Basically: Sheild + Holy Fire + Smite + Mindblast + Penance + SWD = dead mob, if not give him another smite. AOEing down mobs after a bad pull or when trying to mine is also nice with holy nova, though VERY mana intensive. Though I have mind sear for that action now
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

greenmasheen

i tried it, its slow, i tried shadow, its great... because i can solo 5/6 mobs at once.

Like the previous poster said: disc may be quick for levelling but shadow is so so much faster. The only problem in a busy northrend is finding enough mobs to fight at once: dot them up & watch them die. And with dispersion & fiend on short cooldown I haven't had to wand or drink once (lvl 75 at moment).

As for healing instances: I been healing for my guildies in Northrend instances. Yesterday one of them asked me if I would be able to dps "if necessary" - depending on group make up. I have 52 points in shadow and they haven't even realised ;D - always disc or holy spec'd for pvp until last week.

Im a huge fan of disc for leveling. Ive speced other ways but always come back to disc. Honestly no down time, great ability to heal and survive, and when somebody tries to gank you they have another thing coming.

A suggestion or two though. Dont pass up spirit tap. It is a HUGE help while leveling. Along the same lines, get reflective shield, it will increase your killing speed and prevent many gankers from successfully ganking you. Imp mana burn is also a biggy if your on a pvp server, and Max Rapture isnt really needed until you level a bit.

something like; http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=021300020306
    Once a drunken pirate, alwaysh a drunken pirate... Hic!

Quote Originally Posted by Soothe
    Just wondering which spec would be best to lvl with in WoTLK, i was thinking Disc considering i was a Holy PvE priest for TBC. I do not have a complete Shadow set and i would like to be able to fill the healer spot in dungeons if needed.. which is viable?

This would be for questing as well, so dealing dmg is a must.
    Start with http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbkhxtrxoVcRt0xZh
    Then full Imp. PW:S Reflective shield and renewed hope.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ccckkk
    Like the previous poster said: disc may be quick for levelling but shadow is so so much faster. The only problem in a busy northrend is finding enough mobs to fight at once: dot them up & watch them die. And with dispersion & fiend on short cooldown I haven't had to wand or drink once (lvl 75 at moment).

As for healing instances: I been healing for my guildies in Northrend instances. Yesterday one of them asked me if I would be able to dps "if necessary" - depending on group make up. I have 52 points in shadow and they haven't even realised ;D - always disc or holy spec'd for pvp until last week.
    Especially after level 75. Mindsear is just made of fluffy win. I have so much fun aoeing down groups of mobs, and being effective at it.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!