Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best Arena setups

Im intending to do Arena as disc priest so im wondering whats the best setups for 2v2/3v3/5v5?

Re: Best Arena setups

Go hybrid.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

Your survivability is excellent with all your shielding talents, improved renew and desperate prayer, while your ability to cast healing without interrupts is great and you can do great damage with your dots and mind flay if needed for when they get in your face.

Or you can take a couple more points out Borrowed Time and put them in Improved Psychic Scream.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceofBlack
    Go hybrid.

Your survivability is excellent with all your shielding talents, improved renew and desperate prayer, while your ability to cast healing without interrupts is great and you can do great damage with your dots and mind flay if needed for when they get in your face.

Or you can take a couple more points out Borrowed Time and put them in Improved Psychic Scream.
    No Silent Resolve?
    5/5 Twin Disciplines?
    1/2 Martyrdom?
    No Focused Will.
    No Penance.
    No Power Infusion.
    No Aspiration.
    No Renewed Hope.

I mean, this spec fails on so many levels that it's laughable, you gimped your survivability. It'd take an enh shaman exactly 8 seconds to down you, even with Pain Suppression. Imagine with other dispelers (mage, spriest, other disc priest). I don't want to insult you but it seems you NEVER played disc in arena.

Also, the question was about setup, not spec.

Try the classic, priest rogue or ret pala / priest or hunter / priest. Play aggressively, don't be defensive.

Go hybrid.

i loled.

no power infusion? i bet u'll burn a lot of druid/priest mana without it.

while i'm generally ok without penance, something tells me it's going to be a disc priest must have.

If you are to suggest hybrid builds for arena, then I'd say go for someting like 51/0/20 (with mindlfay and improved PS). Spending 11 points in shadow just to get a spell u won't use too much is just plain stupid.

hum..

i believe he ask for what mates in arena, or not?

Yes I guess I misunderstood his use of setup, the other poster had some good ideas, though I’m not a fan of the hunter/priest combo. As for the other comments:

Silent Resolve is practically useless in PVP or arena, what do I care if my threat is reduced? lol Seriously. And an improved chance that my spells won't get dispelled? lol Big deal, as most cleansing type spells are instant cast and cheap it's going to get done if they really want it done regardless.

Twin disciplines is great, right off the bat 5% buff to damage and healing tyvm vs a second less on a stun or silence, hmmm hard choice there as to what's better lol

And yes I made a mistake without the Power Infusion but it wasn’t an omission made on purpose.

As for the Aspiration or Renewed Hope, that's a personal choice, there's nothing definitive there compared to having the luxury of a desperate prayer.

As for Mind Flay vs Penance that's a personal choice as well. Penance is great for quick heals every 10 seconds but with shielding and renew/flash heal I can mitigate a lot of that damage before it's necessary. And it loses completely vs Mind Flay as a combat spell. Mind Flay does more damage and costs less mana and can be spammed over and over again.

Also I don't see how I gimped my survivability in the least. My shield is practically maxed out, desperate prayer will out heal instantly any mitigation I lose without focused will and I have improved renew as well.

The whole point of my spec was to blend survivability, healing and dps and I think this spec gets it done. It’s great for someone who plays aggressively vs passively. Of course it all depends on who you play with and how you play but it's worked well for me.

chanceofblack ...dude you have no idea what your talking about pls stop.

Its evident you have no arena experience, so pls don't justify you horrible advice, instead sit back and learn.

It fails on many levels, if you want to talk about a triple spec ( it does work) its highly unlikely it will work very well until you have near max s5 gear and resiliance, its a harder spec to play and requires no mistakes.

The triple spec you have its retarded, the whole point in whats called a triple spec if for improved fear and/or sometimes silence, THATS IT. You do not take a triple spec for mind flay or spirit tap (is that a joke?).

With that being said its very rare to find a triple spec imp fear priest that isnt just doing it for kicks, 99% of specs are and will be heavy disc.

Your bad advice:
    No silent resolve: retarded
    spirit tap:retarded
    twin disc over unbreakable will: retarded
    Imp divine spririt: retarded

Actually I dont want to continue Im beginning to think your spec is a sarcastic joke.

Of course that means people that do well... and not gimps that play below 1800.

On beta i was disc and had a multi rogue, worked out VERY well. We got to like 1850 rating in 2 days.

Silent Resolve is practically useless in PVP or arena, what do I care if my threat is reduced? lol Seriously. And an improved chance that my spells won't get dispelled? lol Big deal, as most cleansing type spells are instant cast and cheap it's going to get done if they really want it done regardless.
    Sorry but dispel resist is a must. Dispels cost mana, they cost GCD and you have PoM, Renew and PWS as buffs you often cast on yourself, on top of the ones that proc and that are cast before arena start. If you say that SR is useless then I assume you have no arena experience, at least no proper arena experience (2K+) so don't give advices if you're not experienced or have no knowledge. It makes you look bad.

Twin disciplines is great, right off the bat 5% buff to damage and healing tyvm vs a second less on a stun or silence, hmmm hard choice there as to what's better lol
    With your spec, I'm gonna deny you that oh so great 5% of healing or dmg done by silencing you for full duration, dispelling you, dotting you and then I'll fear you. Your Twin Disciplines don't help you there, but Silent Resolve would save your ass.

Penance is great for quick heals every 10 seconds
    Had you specced properly, it'd be every 7 seconds and it's also a good offensive move. You also denied the crit chance of the spell by dropping out Renewed Hope.

I'll stop here because I'm too beginning to think you're joking and not really suggesting this spec because it is borderline retarded.

as for setups no one really knows.

The old setups in 2's and 3's and 5's will still be very strong but with dk's and new talents in the mix there's a lot of room for new stuff. Thats the fun part figuring our new setups that work and at this point its still in air.

Bliz is moving towards a less nrg and more skill based arena so a larger variety of setups could be more possible than before.

The real questions right now are what heal spec is viable for which brackets and if everyone will be gemming for haste.

Thanks for keeping things so civil but please explain to me since I'm so retarded how a 1 sec or less reduction is a stun is better than a 5% buff to damage and healing? Oh wait you were going to instantly silence and kill me with your uber powers so I might as well forget that I’m going to have time to acutally cast any thing right?

How is Improved Divine Spirit retarded? I mean there's an equivalent free enchantment slot for your spell power right there.

How Silent Resolve is just so special for arena or pvp because your explanation of:

"With your spec, I'm gonna deny you that oh so great 5% of healing or dmg done by silencing you for full duration, dispelling you, dotting you and then I'll fear you. Your Twin Disciplines don't help you there, but Silent Resolve would save your ass."

of silencing me is wrong since if you put all 51 points into discipline you can't get silence on the shadow tree so try again.

Your talent only gives you an improved chance of resisting and dispels I cast at you not a 100% definitive chance, not even 50-50. Spell penetration further reduces your talent even more or makes it completely useless for those that have it in decent amounts and entirely useless vs non-casters.

Pain suppression alone will cover me for most of my dispel resistance (65%) when needed at the start of a fight why waste 3 more talent points on a talent that is primarily for pve imo?

As for dispelling my buffs and dotting me, how does that remove or counter the 5% bonus I’ll be using on you and to counter everything you throw at me other than the fear which you are equally susceptible to? You deny me nothing in regards to my 5% bonus.

The talent on your penance makes it an 8 second cool down not 7 as it is a 20% bonus if you use both talent points not 30%.

The crit for your penance is only defensive in nature and not offensive as your target is not going to be under the effect of your weakened soul is he? Therefore it still is a second class offensive spell compared to Mind Flay.

I'm always willing to learn and adapt so instead of being childish give me a legitimate reasons for your opinion please, I always welcome good dialogue on things like this.

Is this a good priest spec for 2v2 arena with a warlock?

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxIrhh0tMesbfRtfVzh

If something is off then post an altered talent tree plz, thanks.

Ok, for argument's sake say I'm running Shadow Priest + Rogue team and you're running Disc + Rogue.
    Your rogue gets sapped and we start on you.

I will dispel ALL your buffs without losing mana (because of you resisting, I lose gcd and mana on doing nothing) and I won't lose GCD since 4 dispels and you're completely "clean".

By the time your teammate rogue "wakes up" from sap, he'll get dispelled also (since your SR affects him) so ccing your teammate will be a joke. Blind - Fear combo on your rogue to force his trinket, and we have you to dps. All you can do is cast instants (shield, desperate prayer, pom, renew) and I can dispel 3 of them and desperate prayer is a one shot anyway. Your teammate is cced, you die since your instants aren't working as you got no dispel protection.

Now, the problem is - stuns, silence, fear - they last longer on you. That 1 second less saves your life, 5% of more healing doesn't since your heals won't land at all. A spriest will proc blackouts on you, you won't cast any flash heals since you're gonna get kicked by the rogue an I really can't see how you plan to survive.

Ok, let's say you managed to pull pain supression off - I'll stop dispelling you and i'll just dot you up. Now, you are forced to dispel my dots or die. Since I will have silent resolve, you're gonna get resists. Most likely you're getting blacked out and PS isn't helping you there again.

Number of cases where dispel protection is important is huge, there are priests, shamans and mages who can remove your buffs. Also, crowd control and resisting it is of huge importance. No, that 5% won't help you at all, take a calculator and calculate how much healing that is. On the other hand, reduced stun duration, fear duration, silence duration - helps you start healing yourself or your teammate faster.

Anyway, do try your spec and please leave us your armory link so we can check your arena performance.

57/14/0
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxGMuhgtMcoVfRtfVzh

This is close to what you want for Disc healing, the 2 points in Imp. Inner Fire can be moved. Play with a Rogue.

Well now it seems we are into hypotheticals so this should be fun.

First this is really going to be silly because tossing around hypothetical scenario's where something will work just right for you and then the opposition does exactly what you want rarely happens. What's that old saying? "Remember that no plan survives first contact with the enemy..." and arena play is a perfect example of that. Still it's fun to play scenario's sometimes so lets give it a go.

With my spec I'm doing the same to you with regards to the black outs and the same can be said for dispels. They are great on macros aren't they? So easy to use.... yet lo and behold my dispels actually cost less mana to use than yours do because I have Mental Agility which you don't have the points for (because I'm assuming you are talking about a standard 14/0/57 Shadow Priest here) so right off the bat you're behind in the mana department.

Then there's your 30% resistance from your Silent Resolve and 20% less threat (I'm now 20% less scared ;D), which means absolutely nothing because I have spell penetration so kiss that defense goodbye.

Then there's the Unbreakable Will Talent which is sadly overated imo especially in this scenario. What are the durations on standard rogue stuns?

Cheap Shot - 4 seconds (time saved 0.6 seconds)
    Gouge - 4 seconds (time saved 0.6 seconds)
    Improved Gouge 3 Talent Points 5.5 seconds (time saved 0.825 seconds)
    Kidney Shot - 5 seconds (time saved 0.75 seconds)

So in fact you're saving less than a second each time woohooo! That little time is totally negligible especially if you're both spamming your trinket or fear buttons at that stage. If the talent was a pure resistance chance to stuns then yeah I would be using that but it's not.

Getting back to your scenario you are then assuming that I don't fear the rogue away as soon as he comes out of stealth on my rogue, forcing him to use his trinket. All the while I've given my rogue a chance to trinket out of his stun. While he's feared away even if it's for a second I've dotted him twice giving you the choice of letting him take damage or dispelling one of his two dots. Leaving me to do whatever. Do you start to see how silly this gets? I mean we both could go back and forth like for pages.

As for mana cost, well as a shadow priest you're going to lose that one every time vs a Discipline Priest especially when you're forced to drop out of shadow form to heal yourself or rogue. The silent resolve issue again is moot because the spell penetration on my gear neatly negates that. In that case you're equally susceptible to the same attacks. You seem to think I or any other decent player is going to be sitting there taking your attacks without dealing them right back at you. That's not going to happen unless you're playing a very poor player.

Also by taking 3 points in Silent Resolve you're going to automatically be weaker in one or possibly three of four additional talents depending on which way you go- Improved Inner Fire, Improved Power Word: Fortitude or Meditation.

With two dispels basically all our buffs will be long gone. After that it's all about damage dealing, mitigation and mana management. Who wins then? Who's got better tools to deal with that? Getting past the whole silent resolve issue, who tends to do better in an arena setting, Discipline or Shadow? Don't forget on top of all that with my spec I have 70% resistance to interrupts while the rogue is hacking away at me when I want to heal, you don't. When I am getting low on health I have a 3.7k minimum health boost with Desperate Prayer at my fingertips, what does the Shadow Priest have that beats that?

Basically, I believe I have all the critical elements I need in discipline but also have the addition of a dual healing bonus with Twin Disciplines and Improved Renew, ace in the hole health with Desperate Prayer, improved damage and flexibility to my basic damage dealing abilities again thanks to Twin Disciplines and Improved Shadow Word Pain. Yes it might not be as fine tuned as pure breed specs go but they sacrifice in other areas to get that refinement to begin with.

Anyway at the end of this upcoming season I'll be happy to share results with you. Hopefully you'll do the same. I love conversations like this whether you think I'm right or wrong, I hope it can continue in a civil manner.

Out of curiosity - did you play disc in arena during S3/S4 and if yes what was your rating?

Getting back to your scenario you are then assuming that I don't fear the rogue away as soon as he comes out of stealth on my rogue, forcing him to use his trinket. All the while I've given my rogue a chance to trinket out of his stun. While he's feared away even if it's for a second I've dotted him twice giving you the choice of letting him take damage or dispelling one of his two dots. Leaving me to do whatever. Do you start to see how silly this gets? I mean we both could go back and forth like for pages.
    Every remotely good priest puts fear ward on his rogue. You won't fear him unless you dispel him. That's your first mistake. Also, every remotely good rogue knows that you're gonna trinket kidney and fire fear - so cloak of skill gets up immediately. You won't pull off the fear on proper team

As for mana cost, well as a shadow priest you're going to lose that one every time vs a Discipline Priest especially when you're forced to drop out of shadow form to heal yourself or rogue. The silent resolve issue again is moot because the spell penetration on my gear neatly negates that. In that case you're equally susceptible to the same attacks. You seem to think I or any other decent player is going to be sitting there taking your attacks without dealing them right back at you. That's not going to happen unless you're playing a very poor player.
    Sadly, with your spec - no, I won't lose the mana battle to disc priest. I'll try to back this up with some games when I play proper ones with good players.

With two dispels basically all our buffs will be long gone. After that it's all about damage dealing, mitigation and mana management. Who wins then? Who's got better tools to deal with that? Getting past the whole silent resolve issue, who tends to do better in an arena setting, Discipline or Shadow? Don't forget on top of all that with my spec I have 70% resistance to interrupts while the rogue is hacking away at me when I want to heal, you don't. When I am getting low on health I have a 3.7k minimum health boost with Desperate Prayer at my fingertips, what does the Shadow Priest have that beats that?
    Erm, http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47570 and http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47585

You don't have resistance to kick my friend, which you'll get every few seconds if you try to cast anything non-instant

I play a dwarf, we had desperate prayer since long ago and you don't realize that under healing reduction effect it actually sucks (if you cannot remove those) and it's literally a one-shot (desperate one, as the spell is called).

What I'm trying to tell you that priest, who is reliant on buffs, cannot allow to have ZERO dispel resistance. That's like tank stacking HP and not caring about block saying "I'll live trough it". It's simply wrong.

In arenas, you have very little time to cast anything, that's why druids excelled as healers in S3/S4 (and due to endless mana but that's not the point now). You've got, effectively, 3 instant spells that protect you. You'll lose all of them within 1.5 second leaving you defenseless. This reminds me of a discussion with a warlock who swore that destruction spec owned in arena because he could crit for 6K. Sadly, that guy never crossed 1300 mark, he probably didn't cast that many shadowbolts.

But then again, do play some games with that spec, I'd really like to know what rating you'll get.

I never played my priest over 2k rating, but ChanceofBlack is so wrong in everything he says D: I just can't imagine why you bother to explain everything to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeraghul
    Im intending to do Arena as disc priest so im wondering whats the best setups for 2v2/3v3/5v5?
    Been playing in skirmishes for a week now and came to a few conclusions

Rets are OP (with the current gear)

DKs are OP (with the current gear

Priest/dk and priest/ret is OP

only 2 setups ive tried and they DO WORK if your DK can peel and pally bubble

OK chanceofblack Ill bite because you seem genuine but in all honesty its seemed very trollish. Just so you know Ive played above 2k in every bracket , every season.

Ill break you horrible setup down.

First off Unbreakable will is a must have over twin disciples. You need 15% cc reduction esp vs rogues to actually live or keep your team up, 15% is enough to make or break you. Remember arena is about co-ordinated cc and abilities not about spellpower, and reducing them 15% is a big deal.

Why take 1 point in martyrdom, that's just weird either take it to 100% or dont take it at all, Id really recommend you take it to 100%.

You must take silent resolve, 30% resist mechanic on your stuff is another must have since almost everything you do can be dispelled and will be dispelled.

Improved divine spirit is useless, you should be looking into absolution, with the dispel glyph its another one those must haves as a good priest 50% time your gonna be dispelling stuff.

You need focused will, jeez man thats like pvp 101, its seems like you have never even set foot in arena, there are certain must haves.

spririt tap??? This is why I thought you were trolling, comon dude why on earth would you take a solo pve ability to pvp with?

For the very unpopular but sometimes workable if your bored triple spec, drop all that other tuff you have in disc after pain suppression ( drop rapture to).

Get shadow focus instead of spirit tap ( no brainer) and get 2/2 improved fear.

THE only valid reasons for a triple spec are to get improved fear ( esp vs druids/warriors) and if you want silence. It is not a dps spec, its for more well timed cc, as disc you already have some decent burst esp with haste items.

Hope this helps and I also hope you not a troll.

Im not going to go into what you should spec theres already 1 million posts about that and they basically come down to 2-3 ways to spec for arena with slight diferances depending on style. It not like you look at your talenst and go "oh this looks good", there are proven specs that do well and all the rest is garbage ( like yours). Id advise you look into these specs.

With that being said I think these most useful and popular disc specs for s5 will be 58/13 , 60/11 or some slight variations on that. Stuff like this build http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxhMuIgtMesmbotf0t

The dreaded triple spec will be very uncommon esp at start of the season, once people get res capped ( maybe s6? or s7?) then you might see them on occasion.

Deleted

not a single on topic answer...not ONE, are you all out of your mind o.O
    yes the spec is questionable by chanceofblack but you could be more polite, seriously.....

op: you can try the good old rogue/disc combination with good cc and survivability. dk/disc seems good too although i have no experience so i keep quiet ^^

sry for bad english and please guys dont be so mean...