Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Boomkin Raid Spell Rotations

Yes i used the search function first.

I'm newish to druids, and definately new to boomkins; but i'm curious what a non-eclipse rotation is for balance.

Provided i'm in this spec http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0xGbuiIscdIV0ouZbxcub.

Is it simply keeping Faerie Fire, Moonfire up, then spamming Starfire?

Thanks a lot.

Re: Boomkin Raid Spell Rotations

I was under the impression eclipse is pretty much mandatory for Moonkin pve dmg now and that keeping up insect swarm is an overall loss to dps. Id think you would get more dps by speccing eclipse (eg. by dropping imp faerie fire for it), and doing the moonfire, starfire spam till eclipse procs then wrath spam repeat cycle everyone's going on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurion
    I was under the impression eclipse is pretty much mandatory for Moonkin pve dmg now and that keeping up insect swarm is an overall loss to dps. Id think you would get more dps by speccing eclipse (eg. by dropping imp faerie fire for it), and doing the moonfire, starfire spam till eclipse procs then wrath spam repeat cycle everyone's going on about.
    I completely agree. Eclipse is a must for any boomkin interested in dps. I have a full boomkin build. I never run out of mana and I'm usually on top of the dps chart. I use glyph of moonfire and insect swarm.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0xGbuqIsIdhAuRu

With your current build, I would spam wrath instead of starfire while keeping IS / MF / FF up.

i thought eclipse was far from mandatory in theorycrafting, even after blizz buffed it? any boomkin that have cleared naxx? please post dmg meters....

Quote Originally Posted by nitroleviathan
    i thought eclipse was far from mandatory in theorycrafting, even after blizz buffed it? any boomkin that have cleared naxx? please post dmg meters....
    this^

i've seen on multiple forums people claiming eclipse is good, being shot down by those with brains showing them is infact awful.

the thing people have been saying is that with eclipse its a major mana sink, and a dps loss across the board.

Can we get some more input on this? (ie. 80's currently raiding)

Quote Originally Posted by Neverend

Can we get some more input on this? (ie. 80's currently raiding)
    Sorry, but it will be the theorycrafters who do the math and show it one way or another. Raiders will either be deciding on theorycraft or guesstimation.

I Do not think eclipse is a DPS loss. I do think it is difficult to make any significant gains from it, as well as it draining a lot of mana.

The spreadsheets, etc, are still works in progress - but I would suggest elitist jerks is the place to read cutting edge maths on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    Sorry, but it will be the theorycrafters who do the math and show it one way or another. Raiders will either be deciding on theorycraft or guesstimation.

I Do not think eclipse is a DPS loss. I do think it is difficult to make any significant gains from it, as well as it draining a lot of mana.

The spreadsheets, etc, are still works in progress - but I would suggest elitist jerks is the place to read cutting edge maths on it.
    I totally agree. Personally I have written a spreadsheet that's extremely complicated in calculating how everything operates and comparing various specs & rotations, and based on level 70 gear & spells (not much point extending to 80 until I both get there and get gear) the spreadsheet says that Eclispe is slightly in front of the NS, Moonfire, Starfire spam, but only ever so slightly (about 1-2%). However given that Eclipse relies on watching procs, switching spells, getting the Moonfire & NS casts timed right, and risks DPS loss while spamming wrath (in case you cast too late and have a break between them, or cast too early and it gets cancelled) which is very easy with NG procs IMO (especially for me with high latency) then it really isn't worth it. Personally I'm going to have those 3 points spent elsewhere (likely Genesis), with Glyphs of Moonfire, Starfire and hopefully NS (if we have a S.Priest or other boomkin who's happy with eclipse) and just spam away.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Moonfire - Starfire until Moonfire falls off - repeat

Quote Originally Posted by loder
    Moonfire - Starfire until Moonfire falls off - repeat

How can you make any kind of dps with this?! Really there is many ways of chaning it, the only thing I never would choose is Insect Swarm over Moonfire. Allways use Moonfire as your dot.

As I see it there are three rotations - two of them with eclipes.

1. (Eclipes 3/3) - Moonfire - Wrath - Starfire (when eclipes procs)

2. (Eclipes 3/3) - Moonfire - Starfire - Wrath (when eclipes proc)

3. (eclipes 0/3) - Moonfire - Starfire

Right now im using 2. rotations, alltho the 1. one probaly is the best if you got the gear. If you got decent gear 15sec with 30% extra crit chance is soo fuckin' imba.

Eclipse is a DPS loss unless you have perfect reflexes, no lag, an infinite manapool and high crit.
    MF - SF rotation is the highest DPS until proven otherwise in a real-world situation. You can theorycraft about eclipse all you want.

I remember reading some stuff that only using eclipse by proccing it with starfire for a short burst of wrath spam was a slight increase, which for the min/max peeps was reason enough to consider it now. But its tricky as that method involved if i remember only going to wrath spamming after it procced if you had already applied the 3 maximum starfires for the glyph to keep moonfire up

Quote Originally Posted by loder
    Eclipse is a DPS loss unless you have perfect reflexes, no lag, an infinite manapool and high crit.
    MF - SF rotation is the highest DPS until proven otherwise in a real-world situation. You can theorycraft about eclipse all you want.
    Eclipes just requires that you need to be awaken and not sleep at the keyboard. You need to be ready to change your spell after each spell, and you can't just sit smash one botton till moonfire is out and then renew. And I can't see how your rotation can give more, when a eclipes proc either way gives 800-1100 dps extra for the 15 sec.

Hi Guys. I´m playing Moonkin in Raid, we cleared Naxx 10 this night and i was testing several builds through out the encounters.
    My best spec is
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0xGbuiIsIdhV0ouZbxcub
    I think Omen is must have cause im Manacapped. Atm i got 1610 spell in Moonkin because of the new crafting weapon (490+50)
        * spell: 1560 /1610 moonkin
        * hit: 192
        * crit: 11.54% +5% moonkin +4% sf skill +5% 4t6
        * haste: 173
        * Manareg: 286 / 149
    The best Rota is Moonfire + Starfire until it runs out + Starfire + MF Glyph. When u got bloodlost dont mind about moonfire, simply spam Starfire nonstop.
    IS is the worst spec ever, no dmg, minimal Raid improve = forget about it. The only encounter i would cast it is patchwork because his high dps in 5% enrage phase.
    I want to keep 4t6 +4t7 because in my oppinion is there cant be better random loot that equals 10% extra crit on Sf.
    The eclipse thing simply costs too many points in state of the art spells.
    We killed Kel first try and i was in front with 2300 Dps, although i stood around regging Mana cause i could not get the Manatide.
    2nd place was a Shadowpriest all night long (yes i´m wondernig 2)
    My problem atm is that i got no chance to nuke the whole fight without a paladin for the manarestore chance on boss.
    You benefit from 2 manareg spell (3/3 + 3/3) and can forget about Eclipse.
    My Starfire crits come with 9,8k on targets with Earth+Moon in Og test dolls + the blue quest reward trinket (crit + 2xx spell on use)
    EDIT: no need ff because of shadow priest in raid

With Eclipse and Improved Insect Swarm:

Moonfire > Starfire until Eclipse procs > Insect Swarm > Wrath > Moonfire > Insect Swarm > Wrath until Eclipse's cooldown is finished

Without Eclipse, but with the Starfire Glyph and Improved Insect Swarm:

Moonfire > Starfire x3 > Insect Swarm > Wrath

With Improved Insect Swarm only - also the trash rotation:

Moonfire > Insect Swarm > Wrath

You ALWAYS want Moonfire up, and Insect Swarm has to be up while casting Wrath. Luckily, the timing on Moonfire and Insect Swarm is such that the two can be refreshed after each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Talrey

Without Eclipse, but with the Starfire Glyph and Improved Insect Swarm:

Moonfire > Starfire x3 > Insect Swarm > Wrath

With Improved Insect Swarm only - also the trash rotation:

Moonfire > Insect Swarm > Wrath

You ALWAYS want Moonfire up, and Insect Swarm has to be up while casting Wrath. Luckily, the timing on Moonfire and Insect Swarm is such that the two can be refreshed after each other.
    I really don't see why you'd put IS in there. The debuff isn't worth it in 95% of the fights and it only lowers your dps. I think you, like many others, wrongly understand the improved insect swarm talent.
    IS buffs wrath only
    MF buffs starfire only

I also disagree with your first rotation, I'd put in IS before eclipse procs. Otherwise you lose way too much of your eclipse to actually make casting IS worth it. I'd skip IS as a whole though, it's craptacular at best.

Moral of the story:
    The Insect Swarm dot lowers your dps, only use it if you get some other benefit from it.

"Increases your damage done by your Wrath spell to targets afflicted by your Insect Swarm by 3%"

It's not for the DPS of Insect Swarm itself, but for the 3% extra damage from Wrath that you want to use it in. My recount is screwy right now so I can't test on a dummy, but as far as for trash and soloing and bosses - not casting Insect Swarm before Wrath drops my DPS.

15+ Year Old Account

Let me clarify a little for you Tarley...

Not casting IS before your Wrath spam will lower your Wrath DPS.

Casting IS at anypoint in time will lower your OVERALL DPS.

Casting IS is not worth it at this time. If you have to move and can not stand to cast (especially since you can cast IS while not facing the target) is pretty much the only time you want to cast IS for DPS. If your raid makes you put it up for the debuff then you just have to keep it up and eat the DPS loss for the greater good.

I raid as a Boomkin the rotation is faerie fire, insect swarm moonfire then do 2 wrath's for eclipse proc as second one is casting use starfire that should proc ur eclpise and spam starfire as that eclipse runs out do the same thing as before but 2 starfires and a wrath as second starfire casts and keep insect swarm and moonfire up id recommend this spec
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

this post is 2 years old wtf is someone posting on this for no urge to look at link

Deleted

Aww, i was just about to do a number on the OP, but the lack of flaming on the subsequent posts made me consider that something sinister was afoot here.

Zombie thread!