Disc PVE Talents

So i had a great conversation on the pvp boards about a viable disc pvp spec yesterday. So i went home and changed to that spec.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=130502030506

Unfortunately, I also did my first heroic last night post change. And I think it's fair to say, at this point, nobody has the gear to make up for someone's spec (especially a healer's) to not be optimized for maximum raid usefulness and get away with it.

So I'm tinkering around with a disc specced for pve healing, but i just switched mains to the priest for wotlk. This is what I'm thinking of running with, I would appreciate input.

Re: Disc PVE Talents

Here is pretty much the current "cookie cutter" PvE Disc build:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRt0xtc

In my opinion you don't really need Divine Fury but there aren't a ton of good options at that level. If you are doing a lot of 5 mans where you are in full control of the healing then I think you could just as easily grab Renew/Healing Focus or something else. Honestly won't be casting a lot of Greater Heals that aren't being already hasted by Borrowed Time. You don't need Silent Resolve these days (if you ever needed it before even) and with so few power boosting talents in Disc it's a shame to skip out on the new Inner Fire (remember it provides spellpower now from the rank you get at 71).

There are some things you could still move around in there. I steal points from Enlightenment (because it's boring as hell and doesn't really actually do much) and Renewed Hope (I would spec it for serious content but if I'm still doing other stuff there are different places I would put the points). Reflective Shield for instance isn't particularly useful for healing but it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunni
    Here is pretty much the current "cookie cutter" PvE Disc build:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRt0xtc
    I think this http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtrxoicRtfxzc is more viable

Why would you want Divine Fury?
    Disc priest "Big Heal" is Penance, not GH, and anyways, a 5 talents for a 1 single healing spell cast time reduced is useless, far better spending those talents in Imp. Renew and Healing focus.
    And wouldn't you want free 70 Spellpower for all the raid?

The spellpower buff is over-written by the shammy buff, so a lot will come down to group makeup. I'm sure in some 10 man content it will be nice to have a disc priest with imp spirit, but if you have a regular shammy along for the ride then it's fundamentally 2 wasted talent points which is a shame while we only have single talent specs (it's nice for soloing and PvP).

I'm looking forward to duel spec. One healing spec and one PvP/grinding spec. Only problem will be missing out on imp spirit in 5 man groups because it likely won't be in my healing spec.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

The whole "spellpower buff is over-written by the shammy buff" thing is fine if you are speccing only for 25man raiding.

For me that is never more than 1/3 of my time - the rest is spent "shammyless" so for me it's a must have.
    And the GH thing - well take 1/2 a sec off and add 25% haste on top of what i have (not a lot but I picked up about 150 on bits n peices) then I find GH massively useful. Although last night I was running with a shammy who seemed to need PC and GH combo's every time it was up...

So anyway - Bunni's Build is pretty much spot on for me - I took a point out of Mental Agility and one out of Enlightenment for Imp DS.

Just a quick note about my own again.

After running with this spec for over a week, I don't think I would change a thing about it. On the Divine Fury argument: yes, it is necessary. Even with Aspiration, the cooldown for Penance is still 8 seconds, and especially now with ungeared tanks (and ungeared me) this is necessary for some of the big damage dealers out there, even in some heroics. If your tank gets squashed to 1/3 of their health quickly, then you had better have 2 big heals ready to go. First Penance to get some (nearly) instant healing, and while that's on cooldown you wind up with a nice GH, which may or may now require that extra 1/2 second, but for the times it may, you're happy to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandal
    If your tank gets squashed to 1/3 of their health quickly, then you had better have 2 big heals ready to go. First Penance to get some (nearly) instant healing, and while that's on cooldown you wind up with a nice GH, which may or may now require that extra 1/2 second, but for the times it may, you're happy to have it.
    Or you Pain Suppression them like any good Discipline Priest and then Penance, Mending, Flash Heal, tada they're already full health and still have a couple seconds left on 40% reduced damage.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

If you are inticipating other ppl taking dmg, use the shield to gain barrowed time for another quick heal. I'm currently using the glyph that heals with the shield and if that crits the target will gain a 2nd bubble with divine aegis. I also put points into reflective shield since I'm using it.

So far I'm only 74 (very casual) and have only run instances up to the violet hold and absolutely love healing as disc. I was all about downranking gheals before and this has realy made healing more interesting. The new instances I've run thus far seem to deal a lot more grp/aoe dmg which caters well to disc, such as pom bouncing and bubbling ppl at the same time, and the reduced CD for mass dispell which can now also heal with a glyph.