Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Engineering worth keeping?

Quote Originally Posted by trisian
    I dropped my 375 engineer today to take up herbalism. It's that bad.
    more like herbalism is that good. i made an alt to strictly herb. holy crap the amount of gold u make. just getting to 300 i made about 2kg

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenaya
    and the really pro of engineering are the new pvp zones as their bombs do loads of siege damage
    Yes, let's throw money at people just to kill them a little faster in PVP! :

Engineering has no benefit that cannot be obtained better or easier from another profession aside from the Mote Extractor. Period.

If that's good enough for you to keep the profession, then do it. If not, then drop it.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

15+ Year Old Account

I prefer engineering over enchanting for PvP. Would rather have a speed boost on my boots to avoid being kited on my enhance shammy than a tiny static movement boost with a bit of stamina, and the hand-mounted pyro rockets to interrupt a mage's pyro casting while im frozen and my trinket is on cooldown. It's not a great profession in PvE, it depends on what class you play and if you PvP or PvE mostly. Motes make money also which is handy, or to mail to your alts. Engineering sure as hell isn't useless, it's mostly people that don't know how to utilize the trinkets and attachments effectively that bash it.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilgon
    Yes, let's throw money at people just to kill them a little faster in PVP! :

Engineering has no benefit that cannot be obtained better or easier from another profession aside from the Mote Extractor. Period.

If that's good enough for you to keep the profession, then do it. If not, then drop it.
    Clearly you dont care about PvP if that is your viewpoint...and that is fine. I love using my bombs in PvP any chance I get, especially since they are instant cast now. That extra damage can make the difference in world pvp (which has been happening quite a bit on my server this xpac), especially for me as a hunter against melee when they get me trapped in melee range.

I love all the 'useless' and 'money-wasting' things that engineering gives. Do I think the profession could be a lot better and that there is a huge lack of recipes right now? Absolutely, but I still love my profession.

Reasons to keep engineering?

Gadgets -
    Jumper cables (especially as a 'get out of jail free' class. FD > BZZZT! > priest alive and rezzing group/raids)
    Bombs, Repair Bot, Mail Box

Gear -
    Goggles, Chopper, Fun trinkets

Farming -
    Motes. I think this may be the biggest bonus. Eternal Fires seem like they are going to be in *VERY* high demand and fairly hard to come by. I'm seriously considering turning my Miner/herb druid into a miner/engineer for this reason alone.

Herbing/Mining atm is VERY lucrative... ALOT of players wanting ALOT of mats for ALOT of gear = high demand and higher prices... The demand WILL die down as more people get farming and more people get the gear (and thus stop needing). The demand will remain for mining/herbing because of insc and gems, but it will settle in time.

I will probably stay herb/mining because I don't want to pay market prices for the crap up there. Once prices die down the balance might shift to engineering being better for me personally.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Me (shaman) and my mage friend are both engineers, and between rocket boots (the old ones and the new ones) parachute cloak (for me, grabbing eots flag first), 300-something haste activateable on gloves (amazing), and bombs (yes, throwing money, but if you don't want to use your profession to its max potential then that's your problem, not mine), we rip people apart in world pvp and BGs. The spell haste is amazing in arena as well.
    poop

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Eng is far from useless and i have to agree that if you're not in it to use the fun stuff then drop it. Personally i like the "hey where'd you get little smokey from?", and seeing as i'm a rogue i have lots of fun with the new frost grenades and all that good stuff. Plus i love selling some yeti's to the pet collectors.

Anyway back to your question. If you like to have fun with a profession keep eng. If you'd rather lvl something else it's your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Okage
    you dont care about PvP
    You... like... ignore my signature or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Trunk
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that Eng is far from useless
    And as a 450 Goblin Engineer on Live, I am going to say that you are wrong.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

i feel that engineering really isnt a profession that was meant to be taken seriously in this game.
    i mean come on: grenades, rofl-copters, arm mounted rocket launchers, trinkets that will kick your ass instead of the opponents, and exploding sheep.....

where as alchemy and every other profession is a serious one, i much rather have fun with mine and leave the seriousness to the other players

viva l'engineering :]
    It doesn't think, It doesn't feel,
    It doesn't laugh or cry.
    All It does from dusk till dawn,
    Is Make the soldiers die!

Brewer - Daggerspine -> Brewer - Mok'Nathal -> Pshycoteddi - Mok'Nathal -> CØbrakai - Mok'Nathal

15+ Year Old Account

I always laugh at rogues when I frostnova them to the ground with frost grenades (clos doesn't help it's physical only vanish and imp. sprint helps there) and nuke them from afar.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Engineering was always the profession for the most gimmicks. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed that before now. If you want to have a laugh throwing bombs and riding around in your Choppah! its a good profession but its not a moneymaker thats for sure.

I made several thousand off of Capacitors.