Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    If you have to shield yourself, it's not efficient. And not worrying about backlash damage is directly stupid on certain encounters such as Malygos.

    Staying alive is ALWAYS, and I repeat ALWAYS, more important than doing damage.
    If you use Dispersion over a Mana Potion...
    Clearly not, raid buffing scale differently than you might think.
    The damage component needs a buff, and less mana cost. Hell a damage bonus might help shadow's sorry pvp situation!
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  2. #42

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak
    1.Yea, cuz taking a spell that barely does more DPS than Flay and then doubling the cast time is srs fkn win.

    2.How about an extra 450 spell power, 18% crit, and the exacerbating effects of ~15.25% more damage? That's a pretty big difference.

    3.Spike damage means nothing.
    1. barely does more dps and doubling the cast time? Are you high? Like I said, most of you probably don't know how to properly put SW into your rotation, and are therefore saying it's not good to use.

    2. Yes, that buffs my SW damage nicely....point?

    3. Oh ok...I always thought doing more damage was a good thing....guess I'm wrong.

    And to the whole damaging yourself thing...if you have VE up it's barely noticeable...and like I said, raid healers won't even notice. (seriously, don't argue with me about this, I was holy all through 70 raiding) I'm not basing that off of ONE fight. Of course surviving is the most important thing. I'm not going to use SW when I'm below half life obviously.

    You can say what you will, it's your opinion, but simply saying SWD should not be a part of your rotation because it lowers your dps? Completely false. l2rotate

  3. #43

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    I don't spam SW but it is a great filler spell for when MB isn't quite off CD and a MF will go for too long, or great for moving and it's great to use under the effects of BL as 2 x MF isn't a full MB CD.

    I think it's stupid to completely remove from the rotation but you don't necessarily need to use it every 12sec either.
    QFT - Trying to shove in a SW on every cooldown won't increase DPS much anymore but it's still an excellent filler and does respectable damage.

  4. #44
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dry and dusty place
    Posts
    65

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Lets just agree to disagree...

    IMO

    Using SW in everyday rotaion, while it is not optimal... i will agree that it has its uses, and its great for trash.
    Boss fight's where there is a very real chance of recieving AoE damage... not so great.

    My self, i preffer to bubble befor a pull, with enough time to regen the mana spent, and open with SW to get the stacks up asap. after that.... use as needed.

    Now i can't speak for all, but with the Pre-Wolk gear i have at the moment, my crit isnt even near enough to make it viable, other than getting those stacks up and SW:P as soon as possible.

    Facts are Facts... instant (X)amount of damage while running around and not being able to use MF is a win win no matter how you look at it. (anydamage better than no damage.)

    I love SW.... just not on boss's that have the same mechanics as mmm let's say Curator ect.. hehe

    my 2cents.
    Im a Priest that can tank Illidan. For ~~~ 6seconds & then, i go splat. <3 Dispersion.

  5. #45
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Again, it was a discussion of using it regulare in the rotation such as before 3.0

    Currently it's a utility spell we can use when needed. Somewhat like using smite on trash in SWP.

    I'd tried a bit around, it seems to be good before you upgrade your gear, and worse after you have.

  6. #46

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    the spell isn't much included in the entire talent tree, so you can keep it away from the rotation. Basically, just change it with the new dot, and a little bit more Mindlfay on it. After all, Spriest is doing really nice DPS, sometimes even TOP1, if adequate gear, but, as always too early to make a real point on that matter, since we know how things can change in the end game balance, but tehirs much room for hope, that finally, we can call as dd'lers, (withoud SW^^)


  7. #47

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputen
    1. barely does more dps and doubling the cast time? Are you high? Like I said, most of you probably don't know how to properly put SW into your rotation, and are therefore saying it's not good to use.

    2. Yes, that buffs my SW damage nicely....point?

    3. Oh ok...I always thought doing more damage was a good thing....guess I'm wrong.

    -clip-

    You can say what you will, it's your opinion, but simply saying SWD should not be a part of your rotation because it lowers your dps? Completely false. l2rotate
    1. Referencing shielding yourself so that you can cast SWD. If you shield so you can cast SWD, it is a clear and unarguable damage loss.
    2. Mind Flay scales significantly better with spell power, which the extra raw damage, crit, and the 5% haste I forgot about increase further. In a raid situation, SWD gains .481spellpower/sec, while Mind Flay gains an incredibly larger .624sp/sec. Simply, buffs make the gap between the two closer and closer to the point that it disappears. Taking nothing but base damage and spell power, Mind Flay does more damage at ~2550 spell power - and in blues, I'm already at 2115; another priest in my guild is at the break-point with mostly Naxx10 and a bit for 25-man.
    3. Doing damage is good. Trying to say that higher spike = higher sustained is bullshit.

  8. #48

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    i use sw:d in my rotation in most fights that dont have heavy aoe to teh raid. its a nice dps boost my sw:d hits as hard as mindblast and i have no mana problems in fact i have a problem with not useing it blowing eveything i have

  9. #49

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputen
    The last thing you should be worrying about in a raid is the SWD backlash damage. Raid healers (resto shaman doing chain heals, holy priests) should be easily taking care of that. And you can always shield yourself..
    Grats on doubling the mana cost of SW indirectly. But no, seriously, if any healy-priest types out there know you're going to be using Death as part of a semi-serious rotation, chances are they can adapt and bounce mendings off of you instead of the tank (second charge goes to the tank anyways, just you don't have fallback to deal with).

    Or Disc could shield you for free anyways. The backlash isn't all that bad, healers adapt around you/it, and it's not like you don't have VE anyways.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  10. #50

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Well SWD is still an instant cast which crits A LOT (Shadow Power Talent) and deals a large amount of damage...
    It should definitely be part of the "rotation", unless the encounter makes it really difficult to deal with your HP.

    Talking about Damage Per Second, MF is not match...

  11. #51
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    But DPS is not as important as DPM untill you got around 700 spirit.

  12. #52
    Andil
    Guest

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    One word. Theorycrafting.

    Over at that awesome site called shadowpriest.com, there is a huge project called SimulationCraft, which has shown that using Shadow Word: Death in your rotation is a very minor DPS increase.

    However, this is in perfect almost lag-free test conditions, and so, because the DPS increase is so minor, (almost not noticeable), it is generally considered that it is not worth casting SW: Death, unless you have the SWD Glyph, and ofc your target is below 35% health.

    ~

    And someone mentioned "Who cares if SWD backlashes for 11k? You can always shield yourself!" - Oh god, where do I even start. This topic is questioning whether SWD can help increase your DPS. If you Shield yourself before or after a SWD, then you are using up one of your GCDs and therefore drastically lowering your DPS. I thought that was obvious :\

  13. #53
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andil
    One word. Theorycrafting.

    Over at that awesome site called shadowpriest.com, there is a huge project called SimulationCraft, which has shown that using Shadow Word: Death in your rotation is a very minor DPS increase.
    The problem with their data, is that it's a minor dps increase at 4000 dps.

    At 2000 dps it's a quite larger dps increase, and as you say, doesn't respect the enviroment, nor take in that you might want the regen when you get enough spirit gear.

    But I still stand on it do not belong in a fixed rotation, but more as a "I can use this now, because it makes sense" ability.

    Something like using Infernal and Curse of Doom for warlocks.

  14. #54
    Andil
    Guest

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Oh aye SWD is good in places. Say you need to change position in a raid. You could just walk there, but you could also walk there, whilst landing a SWD on the boss.

    It has its uses, situationally, but I wouldn't use it in a pure DPS rotation right now.

  15. #55
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,155

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    May I say just one thing?

    LOL @ 4 piece T7 set bonus.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  16. #56
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    May I say just one thing?

    LOL @ 4 piece T7 set bonus.
    Indeed

    I'll only be using the 2piece bonus (Head & Chest), and possible the legs depending on gear setup ofcource.

  17. #57
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,155

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Indeed

    I'll only be using the 2piece bonus (Head & Chest), and possible the legs depending on gear setup ofcource.
    To be honest, I hate the 2 piece bonus also. MB isn't terribly mana inefficient from the start, and it is on a cooldown also. It costs like what, 560ish mana normally? I think mine nos is at 480 with the 2piece bonus although I haven't checked. In a 5 minute bossfight I will probably save around 2k5 mana with the bonus. While nice, I still think it is kinda meh compared to lets say 5% more damage on mindblast. That would save an equal if not greater amount of mana because it would make the fight shorter.

    Why are all our setboni for skills that have cooldowns? And why are they so freaking uncreative? T3 Setboni were awesome, well at least the 4 piece and 8 piece ones. A precursor to divine aegis and a manareg proc? Yeah, sweet. Some mana shaved of, and some crit percent on some skills? Uncreative as hell.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  18. #58

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    LOL @ 4 piece T7 set bonus.
    Indeed. I believe it's more worth to take best itemslot item as long your hit stays capped than going for T7 bonuses. Oh wait, everyone already said it.

  19. #59
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,275

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    To be honest, I hate the 2 piece bonus also. MB isn't terribly mana inefficient from the start, and it is on a cooldown also. It costs like what, 560ish mana normally? I think mine nos is at 480 with the 2piece bonus although I haven't checked. In a 5 minute bossfight I will probably save around 2k5 mana with the bonus. While nice, I still think it is kinda meh compared to lets say 5% more damage on mindblast. That would save an equal if not greater amount of mana because it would make the fight shorter.
    I can still manage to burn my mana, and on fights like Kel'thuzad with mana bombs, or Malygos where it's hard to use Shadowfiend, it's a warm welcome.

    Also lowered Mana Cost make sense on the initial tier of gear. Then we'll use that 2 piece bonus along with Tier 8 which likely is a more major damage increase.

    Remember T4 setbonus? ... good, I think you get the point now :-)

  20. #60

    Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

    Not super helpful in most rotations, the only time it really is nice is as an opener snce it grants you 2 stacks of Shadow Weaving.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •