Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: No Ranged Pull Ability is BS

Quote Originally Posted by Swampmoose
    I didn't try to pull it by jumping off my mount.... And if I were to attempt it that way and missed, all the more reason to start a thread about needing a reliable ranged tag ability.
    Well I can't see the problem here because you didn't pull in a fashion you were completely capable of doing. It's not hard to get on a flying mount, or fly up next to a mob. What exactly is the problem here?

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

I spent a good while flying around looking for Vyragosa this morning and I found her! So I am trying to run and out range her to get her to the ground, not working, meanwhile I am getting gang raped by harpies left and right in the process. Still can't get her to come out of the air. Couple minutes goes by and still can't get her to come down, running around all over the place, getting my ass kicked by her and the harpies. Then all of a sudden she is gray and tagged by an alliance prot paladin.

It is complete fucking bullshit that I spend all this time looking for a mob and can't even fucking tag it because ret does not have a single ranged tagging/pull ability. There needs to be one added. It can do 1 damage, hell, it can cause 2000 damage to me for all I care. There needs to be something, anything, to tag a fucking mob from outside of 2 feet in front of your face that isn't undead or demon.

Anyone else getting sick of stuff like this, normally I brush it off and don't say much, but I spent a long time looking for that mob to have some jerk-off come up and snag it while I'm getting harpies jammed up my ass left and fucking right and having the rare mob blasting me with frost attacks at the same time.

/end rant
    /end qq
    Someone clearly missed their afternoon nap.

But I do feel your pain... which is why I don't play on my Ret Paladin much anymore. Blizz simply refuses to give us all the tools we need. So I took the next best option: rerolled. =)

Edit: I dealt with the lack of utilities for a while, and did fairly well (for myself). But I got tired of "dealing with it."
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius
    You know, I would love to agree with you.. But to me it seems like you've been consistently rude and angry throughout this whole thread.
    Only to people who insist on making stupid posts before reading anything that don't deserve a decent response, take for example the person a few posts below you who AGAIN tells me to use the quest item and that I am dumb for doing so, when I have stated a number of times that it is NOT a quest, but a rare elite spawn in Storm Peaks. Guess I am dumb for not using my non existing quest item for my non existing quest. :

Or to people who keep telling me to use some level 50 trinket that I didn't think I would have to be dependent on 30 levels later, or that I should have to drop my professions and learn engineering in order to make a ranged pull. Maybe I am posting in the wrong section, maybe I should go to the professions section and rant about how all the professions need a craftable item for ranged pulling. : x2

Or to Offhand here who clearly didn't read my post about how mount jumping is not always a feasible option, more so a highly situational pull technique at best and that what I am looking for is a reliable ranged tag ability that can be used in any situation. : x3

If people don't want to read the thread before posting the same dumb comments over and over again, I don't feel they even deserve a decent response. Those that make decent replies, get a decent response.

I say this again, body pull. Mount up, fly next to the mob in question, once it aggros you, fly back down towards the ground and judge when you land. You will have to fight at most 1 other mob.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer
    I say this again, body pull. Mount up, fly next to the mob in question, once it aggros you, fly back down towards the ground and judge when you land. You will have to fight at most 1 other mob.
    When you are allready able to fly this might work...but I'm lvl 75 and so I'm not able to fly in nordrend. And every quest involving the killing of birds drives me crazy.
    But its ok. have never hat a class killing mobs as fast as my ret now. so I guess I can cope with those issues...
    I would, however, love an ability to pull too. Must not even tag the mob, but just bring it down to the ground so I can wreck its face

Depending on how old school you want to be you have 2-non-trade skill options that I can think of from hand.. mainly because I had the first way back when ret a few years ago and the second after I had seen the light but needed a second ranged pull.

Linken's Boomerang - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=11905
    The Decapitator - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28767

Naturally, which ever you go for depends on how much effort you are willing to spend and how much 1 Q is worth to you. Personally I would just change spec / re-roll if this is the sort of thing that gets your knickers in a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by frankster
    engineering provides a ranged pull trinket!
    and similar posts....

geez, should apaldins really have to have ne profession for this kind of stuff? seriously?

imo if they are lokng only for ranged pull, something similar to faerie fire could do the job imo

Or to Offhand here who clearly didn't read my post about how mount jumping is not always a feasible option, more so a highly situational pull technique at best and that what I am looking for is a reliable ranged tag ability that can be used in any situation. : x3
    Why isn't it a feasible option? If you can't body pull or dismount pull with your mount and survive the fall damage, then the mob is too high up to tag anyway.

on the subject of mounting and attacking get something that retards your fall like;

Skyguard's Drape - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32539
    Noggenfogger Elixir - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=8529

Please L2 be creative and explore your options.

Also im not certain why your bubble would be on CD is you have been flying around for at least 2 minutes.

devil_bane

Okay here is the point the OP is trying to make (I think) in a form you elitist assholes that want to attack him for not "being creative" can understand.

EVERY SINGLE class and spec in the game except Ret Pally has the ability to tag a mob at range. Every single one of them. When I leveled 1-60 and then from 60-70 as a Holy Pally I had to learn to adjust until I got Holy Shock, and then how to compensate for the 15 sec cooldown (Netherwing Ledge comes to mind.... those mounted bastards). The Linken's Boomerang, Six Demon Bag and EZ Throw Dynamite were the easy answers. But why would EVERY SINGLE CLASS and SPEC in the game get an answer for this problem innately with one exception? That's just stupid.

So instead of trying to be "smart" and showing your asses to the OP, why not try to stop and understand why he feels it is unfair first? This is no different than you going to Jack in the Box and being told you can have anything on the menu but French Fries. The color of your shirt makes you unable to have French Fries today, even though everyone else in line is getting them. So either be creative and order another kind of potato and make it work for you, or go home and (reroll) change shirts and come back later. Seem unfair?

*Added*
    I picked Jack in the Box because it's a safe example that could never happen. Jack would never treat anyone like shit, unlike Blizz. I was not saying anything bad about Jack.

Hey devil_bane, this has nothing to do with fast-food racism. More to do with game mechanics.

Paladins where not given a reliable range pull like this because of the mechanics of the class and all the other abilities you get, getting a huge range pull on top of that would make your class more overpowered then it already is. Your also not thinking about flyby aggroing which is a VERY easy idea to use, but still one that was not used.

No need for profession, no need to blow cooldowns or anything.

Also, you have a few range pulling things already, albeit not very HUGE range. Then again, you shouldn't be on top of a mob in order to pull it.

You have survivability, and lots of it, other classes don't. not every class is going to be the same. When I can start shooting fireballs with my warrior, or cast huge healing spells with my rogue, then you can have a reliable range pulling thing ok? I mean, you have everything else, why cant you lack in one department?

devil_bane

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor
    Paladins where not given a reliable range pull like this because of the mechanics of the class and all the other abilities you get, getting a huge range pull on top of that would make your class more overpowered then it already is. Your also not thinking about flyby aggroing which is a VERY easy idea to use, but still one that was not used.

No need for profession, no need to blow cooldowns or anything.

Also, you have a few range pulling things already, albeit not very HUGE range. Then again, you shouldn't be on top of a mob in order to pull it.

You have survivability, and lots of it, other classes don't. not every class is going to be the same. When I can start shooting fireballs with my warrior, or cast huge healing spells with my rogue, then you can have a reliable range pulling thing ok? I mean, you have everything else, why cant you lack in one department?
    Holy Pally gets Enlightened Judgements, increasing JUDGEMENTS to 30 yards.
    Holy Shock is already 20 yards.

Prot gets Avenger's Shield, with a range of 30 yards.

If it is so UNBALANCED for Pallies to get a ranged ability, then why do 2/3 of pally specs get a RANGED ability?

You forget?

Holy = healing
    Prot = Tanking

Thanks for trying to correct me, but they get those because they lack in the overall damage department as compared to Ret, so they do lack in an area.

Quote Originally Posted by devil_bane
    If it is so UNBALANCED for Pallies to get a ranged ability, then why do 2/3 of pally specs get a RANGED ability?
    That's Blizzard saying to go a useful spec.
    Procrastination's like mast***ation: it feels good while you're doing it, but afterwards you realized you screwed yourself.

Because prot and holy do significantly different things.

Ranged pull, pretty important for a tank.

Holy only had a 20 yard shock before. Now it has long judgments because keeping judgments up on a mob are now a part of every paladin spec.

Raiding and PvP > tagging mobs.

devil_bane

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Because prot and holy do significantly different things.

Ranged pull, pretty important for a tank.

Holy only had a 20 yard shock before. Now it has long judgments because keeping judgments up on a mob are now a part of every paladin spec.

Raiding and PvP > tagging mobs.
    Right. And being able to pull a flying mob out of the air is GAME BREAKING. Sure.

The OP has a point. And anyone that thinks giving a Ret Pally a 0 damage taunt (as a BASIC pally ability, because Prot needs it too) would make them "OMGWTF OVERPOWERED" is a total douche.

Who wants to bet that this topic will still be talked about in another 4 years ?
    (no the thread, the range abilitie to pull of ret pallies)

Right. And being able to pull a flying mob out of the air is GAME BREAKING. Sure.

The OP has a point. And anyone that thinks giving a Ret Pally a 0 damage taunt (as a BASIC pally ability, because Prot needs it too) would make them "OMGWTF OVERPOWERED" is a total douche.
    Who are you kidding? Prot doesnt need that.. Prot has the frisbee.. And btw.. I suggest everyong QQing about this start reading up about future paladin changes before you say anything else..

devil_bane

Quote Originally Posted by EtherMan
    Who are you kidding? Prot doesnt need that.. Prot has the frisbee.. And btw.. I suggest everyong QQing about this start reading up about future paladin changes before you say anything else..
    Actually, Prot Pallies have been asking for it for ages. There is talk of a glyph that will change the shield to a single target ability and also talk of the very taunt I am asking for here. The LACK of a single target taunt for Prot makes certain fights a pain in the ass. If you knew jack about the Prot Pally you would understand this. I have tanked a ton of content, and when you are one of 3-4 tanks and you need to pull ONE mob off another Prot Pally, only having Righteous Defense sucks.

Again, this ability is not overpowered, nor is it a joke. It is needed. The question is:
    Will it be baseline for ALL pallies, or Prot only?

This one ability would fix the Ret pulling issue, help Prot Pallies alot, and not alter Holy in any way at all. It is, therefore, exactly the right amount of change.