Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hit Capping a Boomkin

Whats the current Hit Cap/ I hear like 260ish but it seems in trying to do that im killing all of my Crit/Spelldamage/Haste

Re: Hit Capping a Boomkin

If you have Balance of Power and Imp. FF, then it's 263. With only Balance of Power, it's 342

If capping hit is painful remember in pure PvE each 1% of hit is a straight 1% increase to 1%

Quote Originally Posted by mattimaeus
    If capping hit is painful remember in pure PvE each 1% of hit is a straight 1% increase to 1%
    What?

To the OP, I'm finding that most blue main items that have hit rating on them (by 'main' I mean things like head, chest, legs, weapon, etc.) will usually have about 50 or so, so reaching 263 shouldn't be that hard. Until you are hit capped I'd recommend taking a spec that includes Imp FF, but once you are (and assuming the other casters in your raid are) then you might want to invest those points elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

15+ Year Old Account

You want 17% hit.

You get 4% from BoP talent
    You get 3% from imp. FF/SHadow Priest
    If you have a dranaei in your group (don't gear around this, you get an extra 1%)

So ignoring the 1% from the Dranaei you get 7% covered from debuffs/talents. So you want to gear for about 10% to hit.

which i m guessing about 200 at lvl 80?
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMoonkin
    which i m guessing about 200 at lvl 80?
    +10% Hit requires 263 rating. If you include Draenei aura then 237.

great, 130 more to aim for
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMoonkin
    great, 130 more to aim for
    Really? I just dinged 80 last night and already I've got 200 hit rating just from quest rewards. Sure I've had to take a couple of lower items for it, but not that many, and I haven't gemmed a couple of pieces yet, so even a couple of uncommon +14 Hit Rating gems would get me close...

Deleted

well.. keep in mind that though 10 hit rating is worth more than 10 crit rating for example you should NOT take low lvl items because they got hit on them oO
    1,5% crit/haste/whatsoever will allways be better than 1% hit....

Quote Originally Posted by Zelt
    well.. keep in mind that though 10 hit rating is worth more than 10 crit rating for example you should NOT take low lvl items because they got hit on them oO
    ^ This

It's not because hit is worth more than everything else that you should hit cap at any price. Most of the time a higher iLvl item will be better, no matter what stats are on it (hit, crit whatever).

The real choice comes with gems and enchants. You should gem for hit before hit cap and crit after that.

If you want to choose between 2 pieces of gear, just give them points. Refer to a Boomkin spreadsheet for the exact values but for example give 1 hit a value of 1.2, 1 crit a value of 0.8 etc. Add everything and take the highest.

You can use consumables nowadays to increase hit on bosses. Accuracy Elixir and some Well Fed (Hit) food should cover like 80 or so hit. That gives you room to gem your gear with haste/power. Haste >>>>>>>>>>>> Crit btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9
    No. Hit cap: okay; crit: don't do it. SP and haste are far better than crit when takling about DPS per item value point, and any crit on gems is a deliberate self-nerf.
    Is haste always better than crit? Even with the new moonkin form where spell crit has a chance of 2% mana return? Or is it like 'haste is better from 200 haste rating on' or something?
    Don't know too much about when haste or crit is better, but the moonkin form seems nice to help a bit against the oomkin-ness, even though Dreamstate + Intensity takes most of that away.

So is haste always the best? After hit capping ofc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

No. Hit cap: okay; crit: don't do it. SP and haste are far better than crit when takling about DPS per item value point, and any crit on gems is a deliberate self-nerf.
    ah another math guy - yes indeed one point of haste will buy you more damage per second than one point of crit - but you see: one point of crit will buy you more damage PER MANA than one point of haste... therefore, recommending a freshly minted lvl 80 in quest greens to stack haste is fail - theres no way he has the mana pool for it, and going oom is embarrasing and makes you drop on the dps meters... on top of this, moonkins get special buffs from crits, so you will want to get them regularly.

here's what you do:

1: get your hit capped. (~350 if you have BoP)

2: select a reasonable crit chance and maintain it - no more, no less. (i would say a good starting point is 15-20% sans MK aura)

3: make sure your mana pool is healthy - stack some intellect and if you went intensity, some spirit too.

4: then stack spellpower and haste till you top the damage meter.

(5): ...and if u die a lot, get some stamina in there, or find a better healer! xD

Quote Originally Posted by Zelt
    Lol, it's funny, you should see my other thread about this.

Actually, no, 1.5% crit is definitely NOT worth more than 1% hit. Moonkins aren't that actually that crit based - it's not as good a stat as a lot of people think. Haste maybe, but personally I'd still say that not having your rotation screwed up is worth a hell of a lot more than being able to crit more. Remember, you can't crit what you can't hit.

yup, 26.3 per % at 80. thus 10% would equal 263. If you're alliance, reduce that by 1% for a total of 237, unless for some strange odd reason you have no draenai in your raid.

However, hit cap or not, content at this point is easy enough to do without being capped. I know at this point, our guild clear 25naxx with little to no issues and most of us were not hit capped. But not hugely off. I currently have 170ish, so not massively far behind, sure it could be better, but everything is is roughly the same situation in terms of hit.

On Patchwerk, without a shaman for heroism, we still did in the neighborhood of 42-44k dps.

So conclusion, at this point, just get better gear. Don't worry too much about hit though be aware of what you need to max it out and strive to get there.

Another benefit is having a ton of spirit and using dreamstate and intensity. I was sitting at 990mp5, and 440while casting in 25naxx last night. It was probably overkill and had no mana issues, but it also meant I could give my innervate to heal spamming priests and trees.

Back to patchwerk, with an 18k mana pool, and giving my innervate to a tree, I still finished the fight with 15k mana, and no I did not use a mana potion

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    Really? I just dinged 80 last night and already I've got 200 hit rating just from quest rewards. Sure I've had to take a couple of lower items for it, but not that many, and I haven't gemmed a couple of pieces yet, so even a couple of uncommon +14 Hit Rating gems would get me close...
    i m 76.....

Ok so lets think. it is balance as topic says... so you will have 100% critical strike bonus, 0,5 sec faster cast next spell if you crit and your critically spell cast have change to restore 2% your total mana. So i really don't get how haste will be better than crit?

The perfect opportunity to link to a posting I just recently made. It looks awesome, but it isn't.
    I have to say that it is really nice post.

To me i think order is Hit > crit > haste

No point takeing crit if your spells is missing anyway. and as i posted before i think crit is still better than haste. its more dps and your mana will last longer. Ofc its not so black and white but still I'll rank crit better than haste

The perfect opportunity to link to a posting I just recently made. It looks awesome, but it isn't.
    As I posted there, hit cap > everything from the levels of DPS I was seeing in BC let alone in wrath.

2000DPS -> 1.11 DPS per point of spell power at average gear.

It is awesome.