Question regarding SoC

I was in Stratholme with another Retri Paladin and he claimed SoC was better than SoB.
    From what I've read SoC is better for soloing/PvP(I use SoB all the time and never got myself killed
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...r&n=Torquemada. I'm gearing up, so my gear aint perfect yet!) and SoB is better for raids.

I read on Elitist Jerks that SoB is indeed better, but this guy in my party said that SoC procs more if you critt higher! Is this true or is he talking monkeyshit?

Thanks in advance from a Paladin who is willing to learn new things

Re: Question regarding SoC

SoB was better for raids and soloing pre 3.0.2 and SoC for pvp, as far as I know it still is unless they changed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Partyraiser
    I was in Stratholme with another Retri Paladin and he claimed SoC was better than SoB.
    From what I've read SoC is better for soloing/PvP(I use SoB all the time and never got myself killed
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...r&n=Torquemada. I'm gearing up, so my gear aint perfect yet!) and SoB is better for raids.

I read on Elitist Jerks that SoB is indeed better, but this guy in my party said that SoC procs more if you critt higher! Is this true or is he talking monkeyshit?

Thanks in advance from a Paladin who is willing to learn new things

Blood is still better. With the glyph, command does much better damage than it used to, but blood will still win out. That guy in your party was making stuff up about critting higher to increase the proc rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Partyraiser
    SoC procs more if you critt higher! Is this true or is he talking monkeyshit?
    The latter.

From the Paladin FAQ http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=14853.0
    * Q: What is the proc chance of Seal of Command / What is this PPM mechanic I keep hearing about?

The PPM mechanic stands for Procs Per Minute and is a static value Blizzard has introduced to calculate the chance of Seal of Command proccing using the following calculation;

Seal of Command proc chance = PPM / (60 / hasted weapon speed).

The PPM value for Seal of Command is 7.

Some examples;

7 / (60 / 3.60) = 0,42001680067202688107524300972039 = 42.00% proc chance.

7 / (60 / 3.80) = 0,44334663373234530369244410665653 = 44.33% proc chance.

A very common misconception is that the PPM value will guarantee or even limit the amount of procs Seal of Command can have per minute but this is not the case. Each weapon attack has a chance to proc Seal of Command without any limitation.

* Q: How does Glyph of Seal of Command change the chance Seal of Command has for proccing?

The Glyph changes the base PPM for Seal of Command from 7 to 8.4 ((7 * .20) + 7 = 8,4). How does this affect the chance of Seal of Command proccing? Here are two examples;

8.4 / (60 / 3.60) = 0,50402016080643225729029161166447 = 50.40% proc chance.

8.4 / (60 / 3.80) = 0,53201596047881436443093292798784 = 53.20% proc chance.
    The damage between Seal of Command and Seal of Blood/Martyr is reasonably close with Blood/Martyr consistently winning on long fights. Can SoC outperform in short lucky fights? Of course.

Where Blood/Martyr shines:
    1) AoE with Divine Storm - SoC can only proc once on one of the 4 targets (if it procs), whereas Blood/Martyr will hit all 4.
    2) Mana regen - Similar to a warlock lifetapping, hurting yourself with Blood/Martyr allows you to be healed which gives you mana from Spiritual Attunement so you can do mana expensive things like Consecrating against single targets without going oom.

Where SoC shines:
    1) In PvP burst is more important that sustained.
    2) If you're concerned about the self-inflicted damage, SoC offers similar damage with no penalty.

In short: that other ret paladin was wrong, SoB is better damage. However, both have their uses.

To be honest, I cannot tell the difference when attacking a single mob
    I've not done any combat log parsing or anything as detailed there, but just based on a simple DPS meter, comparing several individual fights as well as over the course of several fights, my dps remains near the same.
    The only time that SoB beats SoC for me is when I pull multiple mobs
    Now this may change when facing a raid boss but I am only lvl 77, thus I cannot say anything about that
    And I am using the Glyph of Seal of Command
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...lrogg&n=Redden

The retadin you were speaking with was certainly "talking monkeyshit" about SoC procs and higher crits
    Its people like that that give us the name loladin

On a side note, I most definitely used Seal of the Martyr for the quest to attack undercity, with the king constantly healing you, and the tons of mobs to attack, not to mention the damage boost from the king's buff. That was amazingly awesome

Command is better for weak mobs, while Blood is best for stronger ones. I think it is because Blood has higher DPS (since it procs on every weapon swing and I think the Judgement also does higher damage).

But that's not the only thing. When using Blood, you take damage. The upside with this is that you'll probably get heals unless the healer is in trouble or just plain lazy/greedy, which will fill up your mana because of Spiritual Attunement. The downside with this is that if you're not careful, you could kill yourself. But that rarely happens unless you take massive spike-damage.

SOC is good if youre not wanting to waste your mana on yourself healing all the time, i switched last night from martyr to command because the level 80s in icecrown were kicking my ass 3 at a time, command however, when judged, does a lot less damage, unless its glyphed.

i can while soloing, crit SoM judgements for 3500, whereas my SoC crits for about 2700 max, but, it doesnt hurt me while doing so, so its kind of a tossup, i use SoM in instances because it greatly outdps' command in times when you dont need to heal yourself.