Normal>Heroic>Raid progression as a Disc Priest

I'll be switching from shadow to Disc for pve healing once I hit 80. My gear is almost completely quest reward blues. Should I as a Disc healer start off doing normal instances or could I skip right to the heroics? I know that the difficulty was nerfed but keep in mind Ill probably be doing this with PUGs as I will be the first 80 in my guild.

Re: Normal>Heroic>Raid progression as a Disc Priest

I'd say the biggest part of deciding would be to know if you've got any experience healing. I'm sure as a priest you've been asked heal somewhere along the lines, but whether you have or not is another story.

If you're pugging and a first time healer, I would say starting on normal would probably be the best bet, simply because it gives you a chance to find out how to heal effectively while not being overly hard pressed at it. Heroics for a first time healer would probably be too rough.

Yeah this will be my first time healing with a Disc spec. I have been shadow for a long time with the occasional respec to holy for Kara and BC heroics. I'll probably just run the normals a bit to get my strategy down. Now that I think about it I'm not sure why I'd want to rush it anyway seeing as how the next patch/proper raid is a while off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojmir
    I'll be switching from shadow to Disc for pve healing once I hit 80. My gear is almost completely quest reward blues. Should I as a Disc healer start off doing normal instances or could I skip right to the heroics? I know that the difficulty was nerfed but keep in mind Ill probably be doing this with PUGs as I will be the first 80 in my guild.
    If you know how to heal, start with Heroics.

So a friend of mine started straight into heroics - with a couple of crafted epics and about 4 T6 he thought he would be fine.

Unfortunately having a great healer in no way compensates for a crap tank and stupid DPS. A point well made by a 60g repair bill.
    After gritting his teeth he used it as a learning experience and reports that he easily completed it the next day (Heroic OK I think)

Just because people level quickly doesn't mean they are good at what they do... But if you get the right group it seems that many Heroics are not so bad