Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: What is the proper Frost Tank DK spell rotation?

Is RP dump just assumed in these im doing 2-3k easily on my DW frost tank I dont use the RS macro and dont use RS unless i start to lose threat im using DC when maxed RP I have no threat issues i may lose one on occasion if a dps is doing 5-6k in 5 mans

Just curious about the RP dump or if im the only one that has excess cause i dont use RS
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Roshney
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Velynara
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Shalischa

Quote Originally Posted by Trod
    Is RP dump just assumed in these im doing 2-3k easily on my DW frost tank I dont use the RS macro and dont use RS unless i start to lose threat im using DC when maxed RP I have no threat issues i may lose one on occasion if a dps is doing 5-6k in 5 mans

Just curious about the RP dump or if im the only one that has excess cause i dont use RS
    I advise you to use runestrike-macros. It costs you nothing and boosts your DPS/TPS

I actually needed a few seconds to realize what the abbreviation DC is.
    Wow sir, you're bad. You use the motherfucking deathcoil as a frost Tank?
    Because this is A thread about FROST tanks, and.. if you do.. wow...

edit: regarding the question of runestrike-macros
    the rank of the spell is not important, and ALWAYS type a ! (in words: an explanation mark) before your runestrike, so it doesn't get toggled off by another click (or push) on the button
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

interesting how few folks don't glyph HB and capitalize on the freed up runes it leaves.

I frost DW tank as my off spec. I find the HB glyph to be quite amazing.

DnD, HB, BB.
    with RS macro'd to FS.

That's it. Every mob around is stuck to you like glue. Of course, I do out gear most people I get grouped with.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Pope
    I advise you to use runestrike-macros. It costs you nothing and boosts your DPS/TPS

Last I knew FS can be blocked/parried/dodged whereas DC cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchetman240
    interesting how few folks don't glyph HB and capitalize on the freed up runes it leaves.
    is it really woth it? what about the other disease, that name I forgot right now... the unholy one..
    do you also spread it? do you ignore it?

actually I don't think you're saving runes with the HB-glyph, since it cost one frost and one unholy, and spreading diseases by IT and pestilence costs you one frost and one blood (which gives you a death rune)

so, where do you actually save runes?

Last I knew FS can be blocked/parried/dodged whereas DC cannot.
    so what? DC uses spell hit. so it will miss quite often

rune strike costs 20 RP, costs no GCD, and hits like a truck (5k crits on my undergeared DK)

edit once more:
    it can not
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=56815
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Well the theory is that if you read the abilities you use to frost tank only your oblit gains a benefit from a second disease. Realistically you are going to HB anyway, and the goal of Icy Touch is to apply frost fever, then you waste a blood rune to apply pestilence anyway. Instead you can tidy up the rotation to be either D&D, HB, BB (dump) or HB BB OB (possible free HB again) BB (dump).

Your pestilence and icy touch aren't actually doing much by comparison.

As to the FS vs DC comments I wasn't defending it. I'd go FS the whole way except for when things are at range. I was stating the only reason I could think of that someone might use DC over FS. Also it may be that if he is talented for morbidity that his DC isn't as weak as it is for those who don't have the talent. I dunno.

is it really woth it? what about the other disease, that name I forgot right now... the unholy one..
    do you also spread it? do you ignore it?

actually I don't think you're saving runes with the HB-glyph, since it cost one frost and one unholy, and spreading diseases by IT and pestilence costs you one frost and one blood (which gives you a death rune)

so, where do you actually save runes?
    so what? DC uses spell hit. so it will miss quite often

rune strike costs 20 RP, costs no GCD, and hits like a truck (5k crits on my undergeared DK)
    You're not really saving runes, what you get is to front-load your dmg/tps.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Well the theory is that if you read the abilities you use to frost tank only your oblit gains a benefit from a second disease. Realistically you are going to HB anyway, and the goal of Icy Touch is to apply frost fever, then you waste a blood rune to apply pestilence anyway. Instead you can tidy up the rotation to be either D&D, HB, BB (dump) or HB BB OB (possible free HB again) BB (dump).

Your pestilence and icy touch aren't actually doing much by comparison.
    actually, pestilence gives me a death rune, so i don't consider it to be wasted.
    Personally, I hate blood boil, because it's an unimaginative and lame spell, and it gives me no death rune.
    You're right about the dmg gain of obliterate, but for me, DKs are build around the diseases, and leaving one out doesn't feel right.

I hope everybody reads my previous post in this thread, considering DC and Runestrike...
    Still palming my face about this...

Quote Originally Posted by jtgreg77
    You Sir are an idiot, you do not have to be frost or unholy just because you are pugging a 5 man and you dont have vent. I have tanked as all three specs and admittedly frost and unholy is much easier, but i like blood as well for tanking. All three specs have their strengths and weaknesses as far as tanking goes. If your having trouble tanking (which is a little off topic, but hey) Gear up first then start worrying about spec and rotation.

You seem to know what your doing (tanking wise) and just need to tweak for max efficiency, Lord Dark has a great rotation posted above, similar to what has been posted on elitiest jerks and it works out great for frost.

If your new to DKs dont listen to this dude.
    You do realize you just called the dk forum MODERATOR an idiot?
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall
    One time, I stunned a rogue. I lolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofoe
    I leveled unholy and tank all non-heroic instance easily but know that I am moving into Heroics I want to go frost for more o shit buttons. However my frost damage isnt that great can a few people give me thier rotation on mobs and boss fights? Also let me know how much DPS you guys are doing?
    Hi,

I just switched from 2x1h frost tanking to 2h tanking and my threat is awesome.
    My rotation on a single or 2 mobs is apply diseases on main target then pestilence and BB.
    I use the HB glyph so a disease is applied and i get aoe aggro.
    For bigger groups or good dps groups (4 - 5k dps with the new lfg system) I put DnD 1st than apply diseases and pestilence BB when i can and HB.
    I use a macro that uses rune strike when ever i can so im maximizing the use of RS but for that you need a lot of rune power so Scent of blood in the blood tree really helps.

My dps in hcs is between 2k - 2.5k average over all the instance. lower on bosses and can reach 4k on big groups.

Hope it helps

Actually the single target rotation is the same as the frost DPS rotation.

Single Target:
    IT, PS, OB, BS BS, Dump
    OB, OB, OB, Dump
    Use your Rine Procs with the KM Procs

AOE depends on the Instance:
    DnD, IT, PS, Pest, HB, BB, BB

For some 5 mans you do not even need the PS/Pest if you have the HB Glyph, they usually die fast enough.

Macro RS to every ability except FS
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Don't know why everyone is saying to drop DnD first.

Hello Tundra Stalker
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=50130

This means that if you want 15% more DnD threat, do Icy Touch and Pestilence first.

Quote Originally Posted by elseagoat
    Don't know why everyone is saying to drop DnD first.

Hello Tundra Stalker
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=50130

This means that if you want 15% more DnD threat, do Icy Touch and Pestilence first.
    That's why DD-DKs should spread their diseases first. but as a tank, you need some initial aggro when you pull.
    And D&D does a lot. So it's better (in my opinion) to lay down D&D first.

That's why DD-DKs should spread their diseases first. but as a tank, you need some initial aggro when you pull.
    And D&D does a lot. So it's better (in my opinion) to lay down D&D first.
    I agree for example 5 mobs in a group. Druid pre-hots you. You IT Mob number 1. Hot Ticks, Mobs 4-5 head straight for the druid. Mobs are spread out of when you drop DnD.

The better situation is drop DnD, DnD ticks as you are running to it. IT, PS, Pest, Blood Tap BB. No healing aggro isssue.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Quite a bit of good info to be had here. I'm one of those that also uses the Glyph of Howling Blast for heroic 5-player content. This leaves me with two rotations.

Single Target: PS-IT-BS-BS-OB-FS-HoW/OB-OB-OB-FS-FS (Rune Strike is macroed to all attacks)

Multiple Target: HB-BB-DnD-FS-HoW/HB-BB-BB-OB-FS-FS (Rune Strike is macroed to everything but Death and Decay)

I do have Pestilence on my bar just in case a situation arises where Howling Blast and Hungering Cold are not available. Many people hate Hungering Cold, and I don't blame them. It is a highly situational spell. That being said, the situations for it occur many times during 5-player heroic PUGs. I use it in order to capture adds. I also use it in place of Pestilence when Howling Blast is on cooldown. I also use it as an aoe spell interrupt.

Those two rotations leave me using some sort of damaging attack nearly every global cooldown unless my Rune Strike spree has left me completely empty, which is uncommon. As you can see I don't completely abandon my second disease, but I find that there's a time when it's helpful and one where it isn't. In a situation where lots of aoe is necessary I use my multi-target rotation, and of those abilities only Obliterate benefits from the additional disease. Howling Blast, Blood Boil, and Frost Strike only require Frost Fever to do full damage. For single targets, however, I find Blood Strike to be much more damaging than Blood Boil. Since Blood Strike and Obliterate make a considerable portion of the single target rotation I use, I go with both diseases for that purpose.

Dunno how people are complaining about DPS as a tank. I'm pulling 8k TPS in heroics on bosses, with 3,9k DPS on a boss and close to 6k on trash.

Srsly, just KM + Rime proc
    =
    profit!
    Dark Intent
    Buff Mage? I think not.
    "I made the comment "Melee Caster" because you will do more damage as a Demonology Warlock by standing in Melee range..."
    -Gherkin, US Rexxar.
    Proud Melee Caster!

10+ Year Old Account

edit: regarding the question of runestrike-macros
    the rank of the spell is not important, and ALWAYS type a ! (in words: an explanation mark) before your runestrike, so it doesn't get toggled off by another click (or push) on the button
    Hi, am I doing something wrong in my macros?

I macroed all my abilities, example:

#Show Tooltip
    /cast Icy Touch
    /cast Rune Strike

and whenever I press the ability it says I don't have enough Runic power for that.

I macroed all my abilities, example:

#Show Tooltip
    /cast Icy Touch
    /cast Rune Strike

and whenever I press the ability it says I don't have enough Runic power for that.
    Prolly working as intended. I think it's saying that because you are doing 2 abilities at once, and Runestrike does require a fair amount of runic power, which you probably don't always have.