Page 1 of 3
LastLast

cap on spell power?

I've been focusing my gear and enchants and stuff on stacking as much spellpower as possible,

is there a cap point where more isn't better?

thx..

15+ Year Old Account

Re: cap on spell power?

Think about it this way:

Spell power is a raw numbers increase.
    All other stats are % based.

As your spell power increases, the value of these % based stats increases as well. Someone with 4000 spell power will get more out of 1% crit than someone with 2000 spell power will.

There might be a point where crit might be of more value to you than spell power because of gear or spec, but never because of the stat. Example: T4 affliction warlock switching to T5 destro. Both spec's value spell power more than any stat, but in order for destro to be viable they have to drop some for crit.

The rule of thumb I follow is gem for Hit and then Spell Power, all the time. The gear choices give you the remainder of your stats, such as crit or haste.

R.I.P. YARG

have not found nor heard of cap on spell power. I balance my hit/crit/haste and works well for me

you can calculate when crit/haste is worth more than spellpower
    as there will be time where crit rating will increase your damage by more than spellpower, but that place depends on many many things and after stacking more crit your spellpower becomes worth more and then again your crit and so on unless you have 100% crit.

There are no known caps for spellpower, other than item availability of course.

If you're planning on raiding, before any other stat you need to max out your +hit. Hit is the single most important stat until you're capped. I forget the number, but I'm sure it takes easy Googlin' to find it.

Check out Elitist Jerks forums for more in-depth analysis of stats. A lot of it will come down to your spec also. For example, if you wanna go Affliction you won't need as much crit as Destruction would want.

Before you start stacking spellpower you better make sure you capped for +hit. If you want to be #1 in damage, which most people do the quickest way to get there is to raise you +hit.

I'm trying something new this expansion, im going for hit cap as a first goal ofc and then I just stack as much haste as I can get!

you dont even need to try for hitcap.. its basically already there wearing 99% of the gear i swear..... 17% is cap -3% from sp/boom then -3% from affli/destro tree.. and 1% if your bad alliance ^_^ so thats 11%.. its very easy... the only resists you will get are a dot here and there .. ive had 3 dot resists for the duration of a 25man nax... and soulshatter is largely not used....

hit>spell> haste n crit ..... the spreadsheets will say haste.. but real world latency doesnt always seem to back the spellsheets up always.. so gotta judge what your haste/crit is..

Quote Originally Posted by infinitis
    you dont even need to try for hitcap.. its basically already there wearing 99% of the gear i swear..... 17% is cap -3% from sp/boom then -3% from affli/destro tree.. and 1% if your bad alliance ^_^ so thats 11%.. its very easy... the only resists you will get are a dot here and there .. ive had 3 dot resists for the duration of a 25man nax... and soulshatter is largely not used....

hit>spell> haste n crit ..... the spreadsheets will say haste.. but real world latency doesnt always seem to back the spellsheets up always.. so gotta judge what your haste/crit is..
    Soulshatter is Demo. Just FYI.

And i never depend on having another player alive to make sure my dps doesnt drop 3-6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul
    Soulshatter is Demo. Just FYI.

And i never depend on having another player alive to make sure my dps doesnt drop 3-6%.
    If you don't run with baddies, there's absolutely nothing wrong with assuming you'll have the +3% hit debuff up. It's probably not advisable if your spriest or boomkin is half blind or keyboard turns, but in the majority of cases you only need 11% (or 10% alliance) hit, which is extremely easy to get. You don't even need to gem for it.

the fact that things dont always go your way applies to +hit. MAX IT OUT.
    anyone who rellies on others to give them a +hit buff is an idiot. sorry to say it but its true. if the draenie dies you lose the 1% buff ect.... ive seen some times when a death to somebody was unavoidable by even the best players. (10 man naxx last week. due to a certain players schedule we held the 10 man on saturday and most of the guild already did it so we ended up with an interesting raid to say the least. 2 paladin tanks on 4 horsemen 4tw. did an awesome job to but still had a little dificulty here and there.) so the moral is GET YOUR HIT UP DONT RELY ON SOMEBODY ELSE TO DO YOUR JOB FOR YOU!!!! that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputine
    Second, the Draenei used a dimensional ship powered by the holy snowflakes, which utilizes a plot-hole drive engine.

I do want to dispel one myth about hit...yes you want spell hit however do not ignore crit/spell damage/haste in the quest to max out hit. Hit rating can/does have diminishing returns dependant on what mob/boss you are fighting and the resistance that mob has and level of the mob.

yes a cap exists due to the fact that wow was coded with the default 32int.

so if you can hit 2147483647 spell damage more power too you. But until then good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DurpaDurpa
    Cap you hit and then spell power > all.
    personally, don't cap hit but balance it with other stats...in putting all attention in hit...you can and do less damage compare to someone who does put more into rounding effect of hit/crit/haste/spell damage. I know it goes against theory...but reality is different from crunching numbers.

15+ Year Old Account

WWS please, and don't anonymize it so we can cross reference gear.

Until then, the theorycrafting wins.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by geonexus
    ...so the moral is GET YOUR HIT UP DONT RELY ON SOMEBODY ELSE TO DO YOUR JOB FOR YOU!!!! that is all.
    Amen!

AKA: Don't slack

Quote Originally Posted by geonexus
    the fact that things dont always go your way applies to +hit. MAX IT OUT.
    anyone who rellies on others to give them a +hit buff is an idiot. sorry to say it but its true. if the draenie dies you lose the 1% buff ect.... ive seen some times when a death to somebody was unavoidable by even the best players. (10 man naxx last week. due to a certain players schedule we held the 10 man on saturday and most of the guild already did it so we ended up with an interesting raid to say the least. 2 paladin tanks on 4 horsemen 4tw. did an awesome job to but still had a little dificulty here and there.) so the moral is GET YOUR HIT UP DONT RELY ON SOMEBODY ELSE TO DO YOUR JOB FOR YOU!!!! that is all.
    What am I missing, whats bad about pallies on horsemen?

Also, its not relying on other people, its an entirely reasonable assumption on your dps. Imagine before you start a boss fight, someone offered you this choice.

"Hey, which of these 2 buffs do you want

a) You do 4% more damage, but if you lose certain party members you may lose more than 4%
    b) You do 0% more damage, but while you're wiping, you wont lose any damage."

I'll tell you what, if my draenei or spriest die, and we wipe, and the health the boss has left is less than my average shadowbolt damage multiplied by my misses, I'll stop, and think "wow, that guy on mmo champ forums was right"

Oh, I wont be refering to you, ill be talking about the hundreds of "goddamn RNG" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    WWS please, and don't anonymize it so we can cross reference gear.

Until then, the theorycrafting wins.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...=Hyjal&n=Zuxia

Now, Im not saying I don't need more hit, however, never did say at any time not to max hit, however what I am saying don't exclusively pick hit rating items just because it adds hit. If you do that yes you do lose dps....sorry don't use WWS.

No, theorycrafting does not win. Have you tried it? Every theory has to be tried and anything that would be different from your theory has to be tried...that is scientific procedure...so your theory is actually hypothesis since your evidence is incomplete.

15+ Year Old Account

Yes, in fact the theory is tested

http://wowmb.net/forums/f104/23586-g...k_2_4_edition/

This was done in 2.4, but still applies today. I'll quote

The way I did this was I found a point where one point of a stat gave me exactly one DPS increase, set that value to equal 100 DP, and then figured out the values that an increase for a point of other relevant DPS stats gave. In my case, I set the spreadsheet to about 1300 shadow damage, 23.5% crit, 15% hit, and 0% haste, and then one point of spell hit (.0793 of 1%) equaled 1 DPS. From there I reset the values and noted the DPS increase from one point of spell damage, haste, and crit. These numbers are pretty accurate for a late T5/early T6 raiding lock. As you get better gear too, the proportions don't change as much.
    This was exhaustively done by Canadianpimp using Leulier's spreadsheet and verified by in game testing.

DPS Point Values:
    Spell hit: 100
    Spell damage: 64
    Shadow damage: 64
    Spell haste: 78
    Spell crit: 72
    While these numbers are indeed for 2.4 and will vary based on our new spells and rotations, the point is the same - Spell Hit is point for point better than every stat we have, and will result in a dps increase if you are below 11% (10% alliance). I don't understand how you can advocate otherwise, unless you happen to be taking gear of lesser iLVL just to meet your hit cap, which is blatantly wrong.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Yes, in fact the theory is tested

http://wowmb.net/forums/f104/23586-g...k_2_4_edition/

This was done in 2.4, but still applies today. I'll quote

This was exhaustively done by Canadianpimp using Leulier's spreadsheet and verified by in game testing.

While these numbers are indeed for 2.4 and will vary based on our new spells and rotations, the point is the same - Spell Hit is point for point better than every stat we have, and will result in a dps increase if you are below 11% (10% alliance). I don't understand how you can advocate otherwise, unless you happen to be taking gear of lesser iLVL just to meet your hit cap, which is blatantly wrong.
    And you know what...I out dps/damaged every lock that was hit capped. Why...because yes I still had hit..but carried a much higher spell damage and crit than they did...so no...at some point there is diminishing returns with solely focusing on hit versus getting hit up but paying attention to your other stats also..You would know this if you comprehended my previous posts.