TPS question, DS vs OB

DS damages damages and heals, while OB has a very high crit rate. What do you guys think/know?

Re: TPS question, DS vs OB

What spec? Blood?

Deep frost spec , something like 5/56/10 , im also wondering if icy touch damage is high enough so that i dont need epidemic.

DS is only meant to be used if you need the health. OB is part of blood and frost dps rotations, unholy has scourge strike which uses the same runes as DS

I don't even have oblit on my bar when I'm tanking, and only use death strike on loatheb.

Edit: Frost, btw.

Actually, this is an interesting question. According to http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...at-values.html

Death Strike does threat based on it's damage and healing. That is quite nice, and if you are able to produce reasonably comparable threat to using Obliterate or whatever, the healing as part of a normal rotation might be nice to act as another tool in effective health.

Does anyone have any data that shows whether using Death Strike in your normal tanking rotation as opposed to Obliterate or Scourge Strike would significantly drop your threat level? Obviously it would drop your dps though, which might be a problem on certain fights where you're trying to beat timers and whatnot, but in general, this seems kind of an interesting idea. Hmm... Someone more knowledgeable please help, lol...

edit- or perhaps as a still-reasonable threat move to use while your active mitigation abilities are on cooldown?

Well i dont have any statistics, but when i tank dungeons (aint at raid content yet), i use Death Strikes for two reasons:
    1. heals me, helps the healer a bit
    2. its aoe aggro, the healing aggro is divided into the mob pack im tanking

Yet on single targets (boss mobs) i switch to SS. Well depending, if the incomming damageis too high i help the healer out whit DS.

the aggro is damage + 0.5 healing done (healing split between all mobs).

As frost, for single targets Oblit is better, you have +18% aditional crit chance whit it and 45% crit damage (so a 26% crit chance, or so, which aint that bad). For packs i would use DS.

the thing I've experienced with SS and DS is that SS gives better TPS then DS. I only use DS when I have enough threat and I am bored and want to help the healer more XD

But I don't know anything about Oblit as I never use it.

Not to derail the thread...but according to the tool-tip, shouldn't Obliterate be doing more damage than DS? In terms of damage, Obliterate seems to be doing no where near the damage the tool-tip would imply and feels pretty weak.

Well, yes of course Obliterate should be doing quite a bit more damage than Death Strike. One is basically a healing move and the other is a full on "special" damage move.

As far as it feeling pretty weak, hmm...armor mitigation maybe? Are you making sure your diseases are up? Cause all these moves kind of blow without that tbh.

I believe this was discussed on the DK beta forums and I can't remember the exact conclusion, but it was deemed that you definitely need to receive a significant amount (the actual amount, that I cannot remember) of the DS heal to actually produce more TPS with DS rather than Obl.