Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WOTLK + priest leveling = ?

Hey mighty clothie's :P
    I am just wondering and would love to hear some short or if you like extended opinions on how you feel about leveling the priest to 80.
    the following thing is the case, I am a druid and ofc have some advantages so I can level quick bl bla...ofc, I won't deny it.
    the question is, a IRL friend of mine, constantly talks about how hard it is to level a priest, that it is no fun, and that you need VERY skilled players to even be able to level at all.
    I don't want to offend him, nor any other priest, I am just curious, how difficult is it? is it really a big pain in the arsch? or can you cope with it and does it need some dedication like most classes will demand?
    from what I know of him, he is not shadow...and guessing holy is not the way to go for leveling unless you only level through instances, he prolly is not holy either...or maybe a mix I truly don't know.
    when I first met him, in-game, he was a very powerfull healer, well geared, healing where others couldn't keep the group alive.
    all in all a skilled player, the question remains, is it hard, does it suck due to, for example nerfes from the past?
    or do you think it's doable and fun?
    any comment is apprichiated, been thinking about a poll but personal comment, short or long is much more clear I guess.
    thnx for your time!

*edit: typo

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: WOTLK + priest leveling = ?

The first priest on my server to get 80 was holy all the way. He did the areas alone, didn't have any problems. If you're decent geared your damage output shouldn't be too bad, and you would be wanted everytime you want to do an instance.

Shadow is superior in terms of killing, but he'll find it easier to get groups.
    Jeffrey Kaplan: The real goal is throughout the Warcraft games how many times can you kill Mal'Ganis?

15+ Year Old Account

It is no problem at all healing all the non-heroic instances with a shadow leveling build anyway.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Leveling a priest from 1-60 was one of the easiest classes I tried. Shield is a amazing ability that keeps you alive alot. Also learning to use renew helps on sub 40.

60-70 was a pain, mostly because of the change of gear and upscale in mob health.

70-80 was awesome, mostly because I didden't wear full greens (but SWP loot, lols).

Only problem with leveling was those €*£ #*@ mobs in Dragonblight that did SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT

WotLK + Lvling Priest x cancel account = profit
    Do not trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
    God's in his heaven. All's right with the world.

Priest is ezmode.... just like every other class in this game.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Only problem with leveling was those €*£ #*@ mobs in Dragonblight that did SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT SPELLREFLECT
    Oh god how I hated them. Although they were pretty much doable with mass dispell + mindsear when you pulled a nice pack of 'em.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Leveling as holy or disc is pain and it's boring as hell. As shadow, it was extremely fun and rather easy. First time I had to actually sit down and drink was at level 79. Also, healing in normal instances specced as shadow is also easy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    It is no problem at all healing all the non-heroic instances with a shadow leveling build anyway.
    I have no problem healing heroics either in 14/0/57 and just swap a couple of items to gain more regen

I went BT, HF, GH, ZD, SB and finished in SP. never did quests in dragonblight so no spell reflecting nightmares for me on my journey to 80

It seems like WOTLK was designated to give healers a much easier time grinding. As Disc in Outlands and Disc in Northrend I can complete quest more fast and kill faster in northrend that I was able to in outlands. DPS Class pretty much RAPES levelings. didn't you see some rogue kill a mob in a cheap shot? pally 3 shotting mobs? etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Damax
    It seems like WOTLK was designated to give healers a much easier time grinding. As Disc in Outlands and Disc in Northrend I can complete quest more fast and kill faster in northrend that I was able to in outlands. DPS Class pretty much RAPES levelings. didn't you see some rogue kill a mob in a cheap shot? pally 3 shotting mobs? etc....
    No, but i saw a rogue kill a player in a cheap shot. And I saw a pally 3 shot a player...

my priest is sitting at 70 (leveling shaman right now) .. but i figure he will spec disc or holy and just level up in isntances... lots of cloth in instances these days anyway 8)
    It's just a game.

I was wearing season 2 until I upgraded to haste, I always wanted haste, but now have spirit, haste, and crit sets, mainly from quests.

I leveled all the way disc, did borean, grizzly, dragon blight, zul drak mainly alone, and did a vast majority of the quests.

I find the spell rotation has a little bit of a gap between ending one rotation and starting the next. Like this even with 3 mobs my level I never get below %90 health.

So, yes its a little slow, cause I can heal I pull more mobs, and kill them all slowly.

Nothing better than a mounted pull, pain suppression, power infusion, trinket, bubble, novanovanovanovanovanovanova, I can take out nearly 10 mobs here, if mana gets tight, shadow fiend!!!

thnx all, for the response, good to see that it is not all negative...
    so to round it up, it has some advatages, and some disadvatages, but in the end it's pretty much doable? ;D

Of all the classes I could imagine leveling up to 80, id have to say that the priest class would be the hardest of them all. Only followed closely by a holy pally. Beign Shadow helps, yup but not by a large magnitude. I have two priests (1 ally, 1 horde) sitting at 70, and they will probably stay there forever. The mere thought of lvling a priest to 80 does not appeal to me, though I love the class as a healer, their killing capacity is mind numbingly painfull in either spec.

But bear this in mind, though as with any class, the level of difficulty scales immensely with how good gear you have, if you are a T6-swp priest youll find it a lot less painfull than a S1-T4 geared priest.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mothr
    Of all the classes I could imagine leveling up to 80, id have to say that the priest class would be the hardest of them all. Only followed closely by a holy pally. Beign Shadow helps, yup but not by a large magnitude. I have two priests (1 ally, 1 horde) sitting at 70, and they will probably stay there forever. The mere thought of lvling a priest to 80 does not appeal to me, though I love the class as a healer, their killing capacity is mind numbingly painfull in either spec.

But bear this in mind, though as with any class, the level of difficulty scales immensely with how good gear you have, if you are a T6-swp priest youll find it a lot less painfull than a S1-T4 geared priest.

LOL? I had completely shitty outland blues (because I played my rogue as a main in bc) when I leveled my priest in WOTLK. It was easy as hell with a shadow spec. You never, ever run out of mana, you kill fast, you can kill lots of mobs at the same time, and come level 75 you are a mean AOE machine. Priest is probably one of the easiest classes to level.

15+ Year Old Account

Priest? Hard leveling? There's nothing hard with that.
    It's easy as hell, be shadow until ~60-65, then you can spec holy and spam smite... (not because holy is better for soloing - obviously not, but you want to heal 5man parties in instances I guess)
    You'll never run out of mana in any gear that has significant spirit, spamming smite/holy fire, throwing in a renew/heal when needed. That's one of the easiest things in the game...

Oh all mighty "zomgzooorrsssRoxxoooorrrIRKingBabyzor" I leveled my priest with both hands behind my back in greys, from 70-80 and it was easy and i did it in just 1 hour where I didnt leave my basement, please enlighten the rest of the community on how good, fast you are at playing class XX.

Tsk, kids these days.

Wow Education 1o1: Play a Ret Pally, DK with any spec, arms / Tg warrior or any mage spec there is, and then compare them to a priest lvling and you will: Surprise!! find it "hard". Notice that hard does not mean impossible, it just means what it states: Hard = not as easy as a lot of other classes EOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka
    Priest? Hard leveling? There's nothing hard with that.
    It's easy as hell, be shadow until ~60-65, then you can spec holy and spam smite... (not because holy is better for soloing - obviously not, but you want to heal 5man parties in instances I guess)
    Uhm, no, don't do that. Stay shadow and don't give a fuck about 5 men parties, go level.

P.S.
    Leveling SP was indeed harder than leveling a druid. But again, I've touch druid only when WOTLK poped out.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by kartu3
    Uhm, no, don't do that. Stay shadow and don't give a fuck about 5 men parties, go level.
    I do care about 5mans, just for fun. The priest is my alt, and helping guildies to do those 5mans is nice We lack healers nowadays :/
    Personally I find holy so relaxingly nobrainer I would not go back to shadow leveling anyway.