Unholy tanking rotation

i've been thinking of going unholy for tanking, regardless of the correct spec atm, i'm just after some clear tanking rotations, so far what i've puzzled out is

IT ---PS---pestilence---DnD---Blight--- then alternatively bloodboil and Scourge strike/obliterate (i guess this depends on whether you have annihilation or not and mob armor).
    Another thing would be our CDs, in a rough patch, i'd pop bone armor, then icebound fortitude and then lichborn, but it seems that i end up runninb out of CDs to protect myself and then get smashed, any ideas on how to improve this?

Re: Unholy tanking rotation

well the bloodboil is not needed, u better use bs (youl keep aggro witouth bb no prob)

obliterate... dont SS>obli

then about the cooldowns, once ur parry/dodge/miss is high enough ur boneshield (plyphed) can easely last for like 40sec or more on a slow hitting bos.
    when bone disappears i pop ib aswel if needed,
    usually i save lichborn for when i am in trouble and have full Runepower
    pop lich>cast 4 deathcoils on self >back to pewpew

Quote Originally Posted by burn
    well the bloodboil is not needed, u better use bs to get deathrunes up (youl keep aggro witouth bb no prob)
    BB also generates Death Runes?

Quote Originally Posted by Winco
    BB also generates Death Runes?
    whoops, forgot. mainly due to the fact thayµt i like never use that skill

thanks for pointing it out tough

Fairly decent rotation for multiple mobs. If you're specced into Glacier Rot (Tier 1 frost) then you'd be better with to open with a PS to get the 10% extra IT damage, helps with initial threat, but it's by no means essential.

Blood Boil is better than BS on multiple mobs, for obvious reasons, but for bosses and single mobs swich back to BS.

Depending on the group that I have, and how willing they are to let me gather some threat before DPSing, I somtimes open with DG>DnD, as I find it builds initial thread much faster than PS>IT>Pest, and either way i can get both done in one rune CD. Rune strike is brilliant to get you through rune CD phases, and I'll usually keep a proc until I've used my runes, then use the RS to keep my threat constant.

If you're having a tough time surviving without using CDs, it could be gear related.

If it's not, then you might have to look at your spec. Blade Barrier is a must, and you should be keeping it up constantly. 10% parry is a lifesaver. I usually put up Bone Shield before combat, then refresh it if i know there's going to be a spike comming in (eg. Enrage). Icebound is the same, I only use it reactivly. If i'm taking too much damage for my healer to keep up, then I'll pop it until he or she gets back ontop of it.

No idea on Lichborne, as i'm not currently specced into it.

Another thing, death strike , i honestly dont think its worth it just for the additionnal aoe threat from the heal, but some people swear by it... anyone got some input on this? If it is close or on par with scourge strike for threat then i might use it as an additionnal survivability tool, but if its not then i'm not going to risk losing aggro on the mob.

According to tankspot the threats from SS and DS seem like they'd work out relatively similarly, but I'm not good with those formulas to be honest. I'd love to hear from someone that is good with it that has actually researched it.

I will say that as I tank here and there in my leveling spec (full dps, but with tank gear- not quite uncrittable, but almost) it has been rather useful to weave some death strikes in there when my defensives are cooling down, because I really get hammered fairly hard with none of the true tanking talents. If you're going up against an Enrage timer, sure, maybe your personal contribution to the dps would be of utmost importance, but it seems like in general, if the threats are comparable, that it might take that much more pressure off the healer.

Could we get some more discussion on it?