Thread: Hymn of Hope

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hymn of Hope

Have you EVER , and I meant EVER, used this spell DURING a boss encounter, ie. in combat.

As holy/shadow or even disciplin doesn't matter, but I came to think about it. I haven't used it since level 70...

Hymn of Hope
    Channeled - 5 min cooldown
    You recite a Holy hymn of Hope, restoring 2% mana every 2 sec to all party members within 40 yards. Lasts 8 sec. The Priest must channel to keep the hymn active.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Hymn of Hope

I actually used it in our first patchwerk (10 man) kill when the shaman and druid healers were almost completely OOM and had already used all their mana skills and pots. Didn't have to use it in our second kill though because we had better DPSers with us.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

as from healer perspective...between trash ? so you dont have that little extra mana :P
    as from shadow perspective.. never.. getting back in shadowform eventually cost equal mana ..

giev me back my old Hymn of Hope !! that was like a godsend when timed right !!

Deleted

Only as ultimate last resort, and then maybe one or two ticks, fights dont allow me to be standing still for 8sec.

Yes yes, iknow how much it suck. That's why I'm asking if anyone ever USED it, and not just THOUGHT of using it ;-)

I used it as shadow earlier today. A healer went down and I had to help heal. They battlerezzed the dead healer and since I was out of shadowform healing anyways, I popped it to give me and the rezzed healer some mana back.

But mostly this gathers dust on my bars.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Yes yes, iknow how much it suck. That's why I'm asking if anyone ever USED it, and not just THOUGHT of using it ;-)
    As I said I used it some times, as a shadow (used inner focus to get back into shadowform after). I've also used it on our first 4 horsemen kill yesterday when I tanked on of the 2 caster horsemen because even with dispersion + shadowfiend + manapot I was OOM when the 2 casters still had around 5-10% hp.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Deleted

I used it yesterday in heroic oculus, at the sethekk halls type boss, shadowfiend still had a few more seconds to go before cd ended and i was oom, so i used it for two ticks to be able to shield the tank, and by then i popped shadowfiend and I was back on track

They should just kill it and give us Shadow Fiend on a quicker cool down possibly with a talent that gives 25% to party members as well.

I use it while farming and while healing.
    Land a big heal crit to get a nice Divine Aegis.

Pain Suppression and HoH are both 8 seconds, do the math.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Have you EVER , and I meant EVER, used this spell DURING a boss encounter, ie. in combat.

As holy/shadow or even disciplin doesn't matter, but I came to think about it. I haven't used it since level 70...
    I used it once, in halls of stone when our holy priest was oom. As healer, I have never ever used the hymn nor have I thought about using it as it's so utterly BAD that I forgot I have it.

I use it quite frequently. I dunno why all the whining bout this spell. Yea it got nerfed but my bet is that you prolly didn't even have it untill Blizz decided to get rid of Priest racials etc. Yea it's not much mana regen. Yea it channeled. So what? Pop it, cancel the channeling if some1 needs a heal, you're not losing anything. I use it mostly when I solo quests/farm etc but it can be useful in raids also. Just gotta time it right and hope for the best.

15+ Year Old Account

I have used it during boss fights in Naxx a few times. There are definitely bosses where you can get some downtime to channel this as a healer. Mainly the following:

Loatheb
    Sapphiron
    Hiegen
    Four Horsemen (if you are tanking one of the ranged adds)
    Gothik

I've also found a couple of heroics you can get some downtime during a boss encounter to channel this. Not many though.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

I use it all the time when there's an opening after casting a shield+renew or proc div=aegis+sheild.

But I don't think it ever made a huge dif in 99% battles. It will be somewhat useful in arena.

10% mana is still 10%. It would be better if they made it work faster for 10% or increase the amount returned if it stays on that slow ass timer since our pet is retarded.

I use it in the way that lifestream mention, and have found it helpful on timed runs of Cot:strat. Spamming it throughout the instance allows for 4 castings of it, which can easily translate into sitting down 1 less time.

My first response to this spell was that it was utter crap and I would never take the time to channel it. However, in practice I have found several times on most fights where I can afford to take a few seconds to channel it, the regen is not amazing for any single person but in a party full of healers or caster dps it's really not bad. Perhaps you just aren't used to thinking about finding an opportunity to use it. Even if not for yourself, shadow priests do use it fairly often as well especially if you have an ooming healer in your party.

Also, it scales with Int via your mana pool, so the more ilvl200-213 pieces you pick up with Int the more worthwhile it will be.

Actually, the Hymn of Hopelessness is bad. Most priests i've seen have taken the skill as an insult to the priest class. Compare Hymn of Hope to Manatide totem

Hymn of Hopelessness locks down a healer for 8 seconds.
    Manatide totem is instant, costing one GCD to use
    Hymn of Hopelessness removes a healer from the healer pool for 8 vital seconds, forcing other healers to spam.
    This effectively reduce the overall healer mana situation.

Hymn of Hopelessness can be interrupted reducing its effect to half.
    Manatide totem can be killed, although I've never seen this happen.

Manatide totem costs 3% of base mana; almost but not quite free
    Hymn of Hopelessness is now free, after the theorycrafters discovered that simply idling for 8 seconds gave you more mana than spending the initial 3% base mana cost

Hymn of Hopelessness returns 8% of the manapool, over 8 seconds
    Manatide totem returns 24% of the manapool, over 13 seconds.

Hymn of Hopelessness is not usable by shadowpriests; it costs more mana get back in shadowform than what you get by casting it. For the lucky holy priest in the same party as a shadowpriest who does this anyway, the gains will not be enough for a single GHeal.

Manatide totem is talented, but every (shaman) healer has it
    Hymn of Hopelessness is baseline, only healers use it

--

Hymn of Hopelessness is cheaper to cast than manatide totem. But that's all it has going for it. In every other sense, the spell is significantly worse. But when you have used your pot, used your shadowfiend, used your arcane torrent, both mana-regen trinkets on cooldown, inner focus gone and all those druids are hogging their innervates for self-use only, it's the only thing you have left. It's better than nothing. But only marginally.

So you cast it. And announce it in the healer channel. And the other healers spam heals like crazy to cover for you for the next 8 seconds. Probably overdoing it, spammiong big expensive heals.

Did you really gain anything?

Edit: Good point about the talent cost
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Do You really gain anything
    31 free talent points over Mana Tide?

It's like desperate prayer - I don't use it often but it's helpful when I do use it. It, like most priest spells (except Heal) has t's place.

I really like Desperate Prayer, to be honest. It's a bit too expensive given its restrictions, but it's great for both farming and raiding. Heals for a lot, instant, and a very good candidate to bind to a mouse button. Saved my rear ass a lot of times the last few weeks.

Can't say that about Hymn of Hopelessness.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]