Thread: Pitbull vs Grid

Pitbull vs Grid

This post is actually a combination of a few questions. I would like to know what other people think about the two mods listed on the topic.

Pitbull VS Grid

So here is some background information on me and why I have recently started to wonder which 1 is better.

I am currently playing as a Holy Paladin and I am trying to cut down on my memory usage from my addons. I understand Grid is a lightweight addon so I decided to try grid but only to find out it doesnt have player bars / target bars etc like pitbull.

So here are the questions.

1. Between Pitbull and Grid which one do you use. Or name any other i.e. x-perl
    2. If you are running Grid what bar mod do you use?
    3. If I were to run pitbull but with all modules disabled except my player / target / focus and run grid would it use the same memory usage as using pitbull with all modules and grid?
    4. If I was to convert to grid there are other minor grid upgrade addons, which ones are recommended for healers?

Also here is a link to my current UI and how it looks like if people are wondering.

I would like to thank you all in advance for spending time in reading / replying / commenting on my post.

Re: Pitbull vs Grid

None, Just those two (Pitbull & Grid)

Pitbull

3. If I were to run pitbull but with all modules disabled except my player / target / focus and run grid would it use the same memory usage as using pitbull with all modules and grid?
    No, less imo. Also Pitbull often fuckup in Party/Raid rendering, specially in combat.

4. If I was to convert to grid there are other minor grid upgrade addons, which ones are recommended for healers?
    Combine it with Missing Buffs .. oh wait paladin ;-)

Combine it with addons like Clique so you can right-click cast cleanse, and let main click be say, Flash Heal.

tl;dr: Pitbull is horrible for raid / party frames, I'd recomend grid over it any day.

I would personally suggest using both and disabling Pitbull's raidframes.

As far as memory usage goes, both are extremely small. So small, in fact, as to be almost irrelevant. If you're trying to cut back I'd consider using WoW's default scrolling combat text as opposed to a mod, disabling things like Atlas loot, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Housen

So here are the questions.

hi restoshaman here, i use grid, settled in the mid-low zone of the UI.
    The power of Grid is the deep-possbility of costumization of buff-debuff, a high scale implementation avalaible on curse.com client or whatelse you use for your addon caretake.
    For important target i use Ora2 (like MTs, or mt target for an easier judgement)
    In Party/target/focus/ToT/partypet i use AG_unitframe, less custom but i don't care skin of the ui, i look for versability.
    As castbar i use the one implemented in AG_UF, it haven't the lagbar, but after 3 years of casting (different role but still caster) i've learned how to stopcast without a addon that tell me when =D.
    For show buff/debuff on myself i use the blizzard default UI
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaavis
    And you didn't even address the fact that auto attacks do a lot better than wanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    Quick trade chat poll reveals that YOUR MOM is actually the hardest bossfight in WoW.

Ill just list of mods I use if you could point out which ones are the memory hoggers that be great help

-Atlas [BG / Dungeon Locs / Outdoor Raids / Tronsportation]
    -AtlasLoot [BC / Crafting / Oringinal WoW / World Events / WotLK]
    -AtlasLootFu
    -Auc-Advance [the whole thing]
    -Bartender4
    -BeanCounter
    -Big Wigs
    -Cartographer
    -Cooldown Count
    -Cooldown Timers 3
    -cyCircled
    -Decursive
    -DoubleWide
    -Elkano's BuffBars
    -Enchantrix
    -EnchantrixBarker
    -EnhToolTips
    -FuBar 3.5 [Money / Performance / Portal / Tinytip]
    -Hat Trick
    -Informant
    -Minimap Button Frame
    -Omen 3
    -oRA2
    -PitBull
    -Quartz
    -RatingBuster
    -Recount
    -Skinner
    -Squeenix
    -Stubby
    -Swatter
    -Talented
    -TinyTip
    -Vendorz0r
    -Xloot
    -YurrCombatLog
    -DBM

Deleted

I am a happy Pitbull user myself, for all my characters. Unlike other players, I actually AM capable of playing solo/grouped/raid without 25 addons for different actions and situations.

I can't post my UI since I am at work, but I have all players in my raid at the left side of my screen, taking up as less space as possible, while not making it little cubes instead of players.

That's also what I dislike most about Grid; it makes playing healing, to name an example, nothing more than a mini-game where you have to click (parts of) cubes on the right moment.

I just wanna post here to say, if My UI looked anything like that, I'd kill myself in 5 seconds. (Meaning its horrible)
    I suggest start over and just use blizzard UI.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Hawlin
    I just wanna post here to say, if My UI looked anything like that, I'd kill myself in 5 seconds. (Meaning its horrible)
    I agree.
    It's no improvement, though if it works for him/her, why not eh?

other: oUF + layouts (ouf_tarnation & ouf_rothraid, both edited)

/

no, it would use more memory.
    if you want to use pitbulls player/target/tot/focus frame and care about memory i would suggest to use pitbulls party/raid frames aswell (you can configure it to look exactly like grid if that helps you)
    if low memory usage is more important to you than easy configuration i recommend ouf - but be warned, youll need layout files and if you want to change anything it has to be done by lua editing, there is no ingame config)

the most important thing about grid is that you learn and understand how to configure it!

(and, sorry to say that, Hawlin is right. your ui is horrible)

@ your add on list / memory usage:
    i havent used fubar since 2 years, but iirc you can see witch add on uses how much memory in the tooltip of performancefu

Seriously its that bad ?
    You have to realize that it looks like a mess because its running pitbulls module where it shows group 1- 8 while showing maximum amount of buffs possible on each player same for debuffs.

Same for Target / Focus

All the other ones that are posted on the forums don't show what it looks like in a raid situation its really a bad SS.

If your wondering as to why the bottom of the screen is just black is i have prat running there.
    where I have 1 text box for General / Trade / Local D / LFG chat and another text box next to it with Gchat / Pchat / Rchat and whispers.

Quote Originally Posted by Somnio
    That's also what I dislike most about Grid; it makes playing healing, to name an example, nothing more than a mini-game where you have to click (parts of) cubes on the right moment.
    because right now healing it's a minigame where you have to keep green all bar and the only method you have to see bosses is to fraps the combat ad review later.
    But already stated as restoshaman i'm assigned on raidheal and need to see all 25ppl clearly, a pala don't need it so a pitbull interface can work better then grid imo, just when posted first post doesn't mind about our two different role =D
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaavis
    And you didn't even address the fact that auto attacks do a lot better than wanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    Quick trade chat poll reveals that YOUR MOM is actually the hardest bossfight in WoW.

This is what Pitbull looks like when it's set up right. Far better then Grid will ever be imo. I do a lot of MT healing and Group healing. I use mouse over macros for all my healing so I never need to click hp bars to heal and I never really need to change targets or have any target for that matter.

Ignore the default wow raid pull outs on the left. Just pulled them out to see how many of that class we had atm. The raid is the Bars on the right at the bottom. Me is the big hp bar in the center on the left. My target is the one center on the right. Above the ones in the center are the main tanks. There are a few more like target of my target and one mouse over one in there at the bottom on the left.

The oRA2 bars are showing on the top right atm and I am still trying to figure out how to have oRA2 runing with out those showing but oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_lJvP-6B18

I use both, use pitbull for basic unit frames and use grid for your raid frames. Works well.
    Gladiator Lifehammer - 80 Holy Paladin - Dark Iron PvP
    Antihammer the Flawless Victor - Unholy Death Knight
    Rival Unholyheals - 70 Shadow Priest - Dark Iron PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Hawlin
    no kidding lol
    i lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by Infekt
    I use both, use pitbull for basic unit frames and use grid for your raid frames. Works well.
    This is what I do aswell.

Works fine.
    Lolinternet.

I use Pitbull and sRaidFrames...