Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Better DPS: Ret pally or DK? who wins

I play the classes I choose to play because I have fun when I do.

It is not about the damage ( to be honest alot of the time it was making a spec work in an unideal situation, such as ret throughout TBC, and Elemental in AQ 40 and Naxx in Vanilla WoW), but how much enjoyment I get outta playing the class and what works for me.

Both Ret paladins and DK's bring something to the raid, and you should try and evaluate which you enjoy playing more, and what more specifically you wish to bring to the table.

That being said, it is about the player, not the class.

I say test out the water in both. See which fits you better, if it is too close to say yourself, then check out what your guild needs, and go with that, so long you are having fun.

Then learn your class inside and out and become better at it then the rest of the people.

15+ Year Old Account

not in raid, but did HC HoL just now. 3 dead and only me(ret) and tank alive for the last 8% of Lokens hp. i used all CD's to kill the boss and it was pwnage. dont think another class could make it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Soad0488
    Then learn your class inside and out and become better at it then the rest of the people.
    This is what i miss from being Ret pre-3.0.

DAMN IT MAKE RET "BROKEN" AGAIN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babathong
    Blood DK's dps is definitely one of the top dps currently in the game. Much more so than a Ret Pally. My guild has all server firsts for available heroic bosses right now and each night we raid the DK is top 1 or 2 dps. If the boss isnt melee friendly this may not be the case but in most cases DK's definitely put up more dps than rets.

Once they fix the "missed" ghost judgements from ret pallies this gap between us and DK's may close a bit but for now DK's definitely have the edge. This is coming from a ret pally as well.
    /agree. My ret pally does equal or better DPS as all comparably geared classes, expect DKs, who usually beat me. With no DK in the group, I'm usually at the top of the meter in a heroic 5-man. If there's a DK, I'm 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    The answer to your question will change a patch or two from now.
    Indeed, whatever you pick now may change in a few patches. DK's we're never meant to outDPS ret pallies. The DPS of both should be about the same with optimal PVE specs on the average fight. If the difference in dmg is really significant, Blizzard will change it sooner or later.

Better pick something that you think will last you the longest. With a paladin and dual spec system, you have the choice to spec DPS+healing or DPS+tank, with a DK you can only spec DK+tank. Take that into account.