15+ Year Old Account

Enchant for prot paladin?

I don't know if this have been asked in any earlier threads, but what enchant should you go for as a protection paladin?

I've seen paladins go for potency, and greater potency.. and some for mongoose.
    I understand if warriors fo for mongoose. They need the crit and the haste. So what's best for a tankadin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Welcome to your first expension to an MMO, ever. While there were issues, it was a smooth launch, more or less.

If this WASN'T your first expansion to an MMO, please wait patiently while I look for nice and sturdy palm tree to ram your face against.

Re: Enchant for prot paladin?

For threat - the hit and crit ench is probably best (25 hit, 25 crit), with the Ti weapon chain as a lesser alternative, until you're near/at hitcap when either 20 Str or 65 AP is best, not looked at the numbers. Not looked at top enchants yet, as I don't actually have a decent weapon yet (still using the HoL blue).

Deleted

I choose Potency (+20str). Not the Greater Potency available in Wotlk due to several reasons. All of those are explained in my FAQ if you wish to read.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

I ponder what the benefits are for them:

Honestly I have right now 50ap because I got a new wotlk sword from the first boss in Heroic UK.

I like it, I do not know if I will go back to 20str, I am thinking by the time I get my new tanking sword somthing better will come back out.

For me the only reason to get 20str is the BV, but it just seems so low, with full buffs from everything its only like 7 BV or somthing.

20 Str==12.5 BV inc. BoK btw.

I took mogoose on my new sword (Red sword of courage - last boss in hc up) and it procs alot and gives a very nice dodge boost. I took this over weapon chain or any others as I got mats very cheap

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Strength is generally better. However, while more BV is welcome, going for 50AP if it's easier to get for you won't significantly hurt you. Personally, i've stuck with a titanium weapon chain at the moment. Until i get around 250 hit (or more) without it, then i'll be sticking with it. Once i do hit that point, i'll probably end up going for either an AP or a crit enchant. Crit is an incredible stat for our threat these days, and while i won't prioritise it over much else, it is something that i think is a good addition to pick up. It's one reason i picked up HotC as well as Conviction.

Well, actually, the original reason i picked up HotC was because i wanted to bring something more than buffs to the raid. While we don't have a ret with us at the moment, i'm giving the whole raid 3% more crit, and on DPS races such as Patchwerk, thaddius, and Malygos (who we're currently mastering on 25-man), it can mean the difference between a kill, or a wipe. That, and it's awesome threat for the tanks. Then i looked at conviction, looked at how much damage my ShoR crits were going for, and decided that the more sustainable TPS from Seals of the Pure was going to be superceded by 5% more crit.

I've also looked at going even further into ret by going to 2/5 Ardent Defender, and picking up 3/3 Santified seals. But i'd have to test it a lot and decide whether it's actually viable to do so. That would take me to about 20% crit, 23% with HotC active. But i'd lose some survivability below 35%, it does all depend on how things pan out over the next week or so. I think i'll give it a try for a few days and decide from there.

As for Mongoose, haste isn't a major threat boost for us. I'm sure you're aware of this, but all of our threat comes from spell-specials. The ONLY time haste would be good for us, is on AOE packs (and i mean large AOE packs, a la Hyjal) where consecration scales with it immensly. While the agility Mongoose gives boosts both dodge and crit, it's much more suitable to go for a pure crit enchant.
    thank you somone that notices that 18 pts in ret, is better than a freaking DoT, and judgement.

I chose the 3%/6% more damage than the crit just because i like relying on sustained high damage even on things that dont crit over just the ones that do. Makes concerate just that much nicer.

Deleted

On my holydin I am not losing anything too important if I spec to Kings, I can even get 5 points in Conviction. That is with all the important talents for raiding.

On my protadin however I am losing quite a chunk of DPS/threat if I spec to Kings. Threat is always important to tanks, the higher threat you can do in short amount of time the less chance of you losing agros, and the easier it is for you to quickly pick up any adds. As such I personally won't be picking Kings.

I choose mongoose on the Red Sword of Courage. Like the OP said it procs a lot and it is somewhere around 3% dodge. I'll take that over 12.5 Block Value any day.

Well, I chose Accuracy (25Hit-Crit). Got massive problems with hitcap -.-
    You no take Bacon!

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Safter
    Well, I chose Accuracy (25Hit-Crit). Got massive problems with hitcap -.-
    can we talk about hit cap?

I do not recall what mine is right now, (have been off a week, finals season) and is it all that nessasary?

For AoE tanking its nearlly all passive threat.

Holy Shield, Consecration, and ret aura.

Can we confirm that deflection is a miss, dodge or parry? I know it happens to our hammer, I have never seen it happen to SoRighteousness.

I also get the crit is great for threat, but how much crit is that? .5%?

I personally am not all that convinced that hit is that important, only our abilities that do holy damage get boost of threat. I know our white hits do do a lot of damage now, but not a lot of subsequent threat.

And even if HotR does get deflected for me it does not seem to be all that often, maybe once a boss fight?

I just feel that the Ap or Str yields better promises, not to say its a bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo
    can we talk about hit cap?

I do not recall what mine is right now, (have been off a week, finals season) and is it all that nessasary?

For AoE tanking its nearlly all passive threat.

Holy Shield, Consecration, and ret aura.

Can we confirm that deflection is a miss, dodge or parry? I know it happens to our hammer, I have never seen it happen to SoRighteousness.

I also get the crit is great for threat, but how much crit is that? .5%?

I personally am not all that convinced that hit is that important, only our abilities that do holy damage get boost of threat. I know our white hits do do a lot of damage now, but not a lot of subsequent threat.

And even if HotR does get deflected for me it does not seem to be all that often, maybe once a boss fight?

I just feel that the Ap or Str yields better promises, not to say its a bad choice.
    Deflect==Parry for magic I think, I've seen the rates for it go through the roof as with parries when fighting anything 3+ levs above or using a higher lev dummy. Hit's not that major, for overall TPS it affects ~60-80% of our threat I guess (judgement/HotR/SotR) but it's just not worth going for more threat at a point when you're kicking out 2x more threat than the DPS.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

I disagree with the assessment about threat, but if it does prove to be parry as you say then that is an expertise issue, not Hit.

Making the AP/SP better for prot paladins.

I just wish that made greater potency 30Str or somthing and been done with it. For 1h its not a lot, most dps will go with the 2h only encahnts. And after that only rogues benefit mostly from melee 1h encahtns, and with hit/crit out there I bet a lot would take that over maybe even agi. It just erks me they do that.

Adamantite weapon chain adds 15 parry rating and the same disarm reduction. Anyone know what 15 parry is at 80 (I know it's only like .6 at 70). It might be the best consistent damage reduction there is.

Sorry the strength ==> bv for potency is more like 14.95
    20str x 15% = 23 \ 2 11.5 bv x 30% = 14.95bv which means more threat from ShoR and more mitigation with your blocks.

Go for mitigation, don't even bother thinking about threat

You should be pulling around 4-8k tps in most boss fights without too much effort

If you're not then go and do some reading up on rotations

Only really bother with mitigation/avoidance so that you make your healers job easier, as the only point in tps stats is for your dps, so that you can show up the dpsers who don't know how to play their class

Enchant to weapon = +20 str, which with kings / talents actually turns into around +25 str, which is +50 attackpower and around +16.25 block value (This could be wrong, I just remember rough conversion stats)

Other enchants worth looking into are maybe lifeward, or mongoose or agililty for the dodge, but everyone tends to say the procrate is / will be low on lifeward (although I haven't seen anyone say that yet who has actually tested it) and mongoose is a proc, and you want consistency not procs, which would make agility better.

But since str scales with talents, the best agility enchant vs potency works out that it's around 1:1.15 ratio of stats vs stat. Thus you could maybe have 1x weapon for a bv set, and 1x weapon for an avoidance set with different enchants / itemisation on each weapon. Although imo go for str still anyway since bv = consistency of reduced incoming damage which is win Particularly when combined with ardent defender since bv scales soo well when you have low amounts of incoming damage

This will of course all likely change once we start getting into harder hitting bosses from new content patches, but at the moment bv = win imo