Fire spec compared with Felguard Spec

I've been reading as much forum posts as I can and not found exactly what I was looking for. I've seen that affliction seems like a very high DPS tree now but I have to say the thoughts of keeping the dots up is putting me off slightly.

At the moment I am using a fire spec of 31/40 - Linked below:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ta...as&n=Pridelock

When I first hit 80 I spent a fair few 100g respeccing and hitting target dummys. I decided that 31/40 was best for me. Although having looking at this I should swap to 30/41 and stack one point in Backdraft.

Rotation I am currently using is:

CoA > Corruption > Immolate > Incinerate Spam then clip a conflag in before immolate dot expires.

I am currently doing between 2100 and 2600 DPS. (note with fel armour and 10 man raid buffed I am on about 2300 Spell Power)

A lot of people have commented on Felguard / Emberstorm builds. My question is can people link how they have specced this and what rotations are going on with this spec please? Is my gear at the stage (still pretty poor) where I should remain with my fire spec?

If people could provide contructive posts I would appriciate it.

Sorry if there is a post on the above but I could not find it

Thanks

Re: Fire spec compared with Felguard Spec

At this point in the gearing cycle 0/41/30 tends to help players more than more destro centric builds. Rotation is CoA, Corr, Immo, Incin spam till immo has run its full course and renew. Keep dots up (DONT clip), fill gaps w' immo, have felsmacker doing his thing.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IZ0xIzsgMq0sxzZVchVrzuV

The above is the highest dps spec. You can take a point out of demo tactics for fel synergy if your healers really suck but smart aoe heals should do just fine. Don't bother w' dots on anything but bosses or trash that will live more than 20 seconds. Just immo and incin down. If its 3x mobs or more use rain of fire. Glyph felguard, immolate, and curse of agony.
    User has been banned permanently for trolling.

Thats great - Thanks for the response. Do you have any problems keeping the felguard alive?

I am going to try this spec tonight and see what happens. The first boss were attempting is the Four Horsemen. Previously when we did this we had a holy priest and elemental shammy tanking the 2 back horses. Seen as we don't have a elemental shammy in tonights group its going to be something I will have to do.

What would you recommend. Ideally my pet - Either Felguard or VoidWalker to tank with me healing it. Not sure if this is going to work or not but were going to have to give it a try. Anyone tried this before? And would you chose the Felguard to tank or the voidy

You have the four horsemen strat wrong I think. Here is how my group does it, its very easy. You will be magic tanking Sir Zel, he just holy wraths, with a soul link felpuppy the damage is easily dealt with by a single healer. That healer will be near lady Blameaux, she spawns voidzones you avoid and she casts some weak spells. When every 3rd mark is announced you and the healer switch spots. Keep you pet moving with you, and toss it a funnel if you need to. The idea is just to survive until the rest of the raid can come kill you adds. The damage you deal is a nice jumpstart on these adds, but not crucial. What is crucial is that there is a player near each horsemen at all times to prevent the raidwide aoe they do otherwise.

I'm specced 0/41/30, and I have 1 point in fel synergy making my pets dmg intake minimal so I can focus on doing damage. I have a druid healer as my partner but any healer will do.
    When dual spec hits I plan to have my second spec be 0/38/33 mage tanking specialty via felhunter and netherprotection with a seriously buffed searing pain. Who needs resist gear?

Its a interesting point you make. However when we had one healer healing themselves and the other tank they went OOM pretty quick, It needs to be a class that can look after itself which in theory I should be able to do untill we get better gear anyway

Having you be the mage tank will help that healer out a lot. Moreso than almost any other class could. Have the healer with the highest mana regen be your partner, and it should be fine. Drain life if you really need to, but I havent had to touch it yet. Be sure to switch once the 3rd mark is applied, if the 4th hits you take a decent burst of damage that can strain the healer more, there is no real penalty for being proactive about keeping your mark count low. Some strats say move when the 4th hits you, but I have seen it be very risky, especially if your healers mana pool is an issue like you mention.

Update: We one shotted the four horseman last night. Had one priest tanking one of the adds and had my void walker tanking the other. Health funnel has a nice 45 yard range so it meant I could stand outside of any damage and the debuffs. Getting the voidwalker out of the black circles was a different matter and I did have to re-summon it. However with a 0.5 second cast it wasn't a problem

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prideaux
    Update: We one shotted the four horseman last night. Had one priest tanking one of the adds and had my void walker tanking the other. Health funnel has a nice 45 yard range so it meant I could stand outside of any damage and the debuffs. Getting the voidwalker out of the black circles was a different matter and I did have to re-summon it. However with a 0.5 second cast it wasn't a problem
    i always tank lady shadow bolt, and it's easy for a lock:

felhunter out = -10% spell damage taken (Master Demonologist)
    soulink out = -20% damage tanken
    shadow resist of the pala or priest
    demon armor = +20% healing receive
    shadow ward = 3300 shadow damage absorb

i always tank her with dain life, and use shadow ward on cooldown.

that's all.

Thats alright if you got the shadow rez to go with it. I dont though as I only rolled a lock for WotlK so had to improvise

Grats on the 1 shot, and I'm glad you found a way that works well for you. Just goes to show that we have many options when it comes to tanking some bosses )

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prideaux
    Thats alright if you got the shadow rez to go with it. I dont though as I only rolled a lock for WotlK so had to improvise
    to be honest it takes me some wipes before figure out what was the best thing to do ehehehehhe try this next time.

NB - when i said shadow res, it's the Paladin Aura, or the Prayer of shadow protection, no shadow resist gear used.

Quote Originally Posted by lrs078
    The above is the highest dps spec. You can take a point out of demo tactics for fel synergy if your healers really suck but smart aoe heals should do just fine. Don't bother w' dots on anything but bosses or trash that will live more than 20 seconds. Just immo and incin down. If its 3x mobs or more use rain of fire. Glyph felguard, immolate, and curse of agony.
    Are you telling me that in 0/41/30 rain of fire deals more damage than SoC?

Cause if that's the case I'll need to change my AOE rotation.

I find specced 30/41 that Rain of Fire does a lot more damage than SoC. I have to say I did not really compare SoC when I was 41/30 as I got into the habit of Rain of Fire.

Ahhh.. something new to test tonight. (Or just calculate I suppose)

I'll do that when I get home, I'm still in the level 70 habit of using SoC whenever there's AoE.

Thanks to blizz for allowing RoF and Hellfire to crit, they are most likely the highest DPS aoe for these builds, also in part to emberstorm. I run 41/30 with the imp, so another 5% chance to crit on it as well.

However there are some situations when you would choose between seed and RoF. Seed will follow your target and has a better chance to deal damage if the mobs are moving, like the zombies on Gluuth. RoF should be used when the targets are firmly tanked in a single position, like trash pulls.

With 2k SP my RoF crits for around 3600 per tick. I forget what my seed crits for, someone can fill in for me here.

i was thinking... and im not sure what will be better - 41/30 imp of felguard? imp gives like 5% more crit and its easly survives everything (cause he is near u ) and fg tends to die on some fights... i guess fg would make a lot more dps then imp but 5% crit is something too. what do u think ? anyone tested both builds with suitable glyps?