is demonology that bad?

Ok, before anyone starts blasting me, I do not claim to be an expert whatsoever about locks. However, I do have a lock and love her to death. Although she's only 79 atm, she has been doing pretty good running instances with a 0/52/18 spec. Never has she fallen below anyone when it comes to the damage meters. Then again, she's only running on reg instances at the moment and I have yet to test this spec out in heroics -- that I plan to do when she hits 80.

By then, I'll post again how she's doing, especially when I get her to start raiding again.

But at the moment she's putting out about 2k-2.3k dps, assuming there are some aoe pulls (which a lot of instances have). Single target, the highest she can do is between 1400-1600 dps (my apologies if these numbers are not leet enough for some of you, but based on the runs I've been doing, they are looking good against mages, hunters, dks, and even other locks who do about 1k tops). At the unfortunate event that her felguard dies, her dps drops to about 1100 but that's pretty much the lowest it can get. Again, these stats are based on reg instance runs since she IS still level 79. My plan is to start doing heroics with her using the same spec to see if it's worth sticking to since it has been the most promising one for her so far.

Everyone keeps telling me dem spec is useless and the way to go when raiding is aff or destro, but I still want to test it out for myself. The day I will have to stick to macros and tunnel visioning my dotimer, I'll prolly start working on my shammy. :'(

15+ Year Old Account

Re: is demonology that bad?

0/41/30 is the answer at the moment: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IZ0xIzstRq0sxzZVchVrzuV

- good for raid
    - good for hero
    - good for quest
    - good for farm

IMHO this spec is supah; i'm sure it shine more on a 25 man due to the buffs the felguard can take.

Maybe copy this to the post of 41/30 been dead now they have nerfed it (even though that was a mistake and they have not). I commented saying I thought it was usless so stick it in there - all in one topic then

Personally I have never been a big fan of the demo tree, but I have used it for leveling. Besides using demo for leveling, I have always been afflic for 5 man and raiding (even in tbc where afflic was not the min/max spec). If you play a spec long enough then you will end up knowing the in and outs of the spec and you will be able to outperform other people using the "best" spec.

Stick with what you enjoy and you will be fine. So far the raiding is not difficult enough for min/maxing. Next couple of content updates may change that, but really at this point in the game its about playing a spec that you enjoy.

Was in a pug Naxx-10 run last week and a demo spec lock, pretty sure he was with the turning into a demon and all, did 3650 on patchwerk, I think it's fine. I know nothing else about his gear and spec, or even his name anymore. Maybe he could have done a lot more as afflic, but it was plenty enough to kill everything in the place. T7 isn't hard, have fun with it.

As far as having fun goes: Demo is old destro. SB SB SBSBSBSBSBSBSBBSBBS until your eyes bleed.
    Ok, oversimplification, but it sure feels like that compared to the other specs.

Maybe less stressful though? Also, once you get over 2800 SP, you can drink elemental shaman tears for mana!

End of the day - play what you enjoy. Yes it is a cliche but if you run some high dps spec you can't stand you won't want to play anyway.

The main problem with demo as a pve spec is felguard survivability - they are squishy. You are also trying to put out an affliction rotation with none of the power of affliction or desto, so your dots won't do a lot as you have no points in them. Unless you are sending in the felguad and then just SB spamming your rotation is costly, and on the other hand if you are just SB spamming it isn't as good as it was. The good side of it is of course off tanking, it puts out good numbers for the few who can master it, and its a good farming build.

Note that I'm not an expert on locks either. Aside from levelling as affliction (I tried demo once and it just isn't for me) I have been destruction since day one. However a demo lock in my raid runs around with a build something like 0/41/30 and uses immolate and incinerate. I'm not sure if this is of interest but I'll stress that shadowbolt doesn't have the power it used to, and fire gets a lot more buffs.

Note I haven't tried this but something like http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...h=000000000000 would give you some fire power (excuse the pun). Curse, corruption, immolate, incinerate until you renew it. Also as you said you aoe a lot the +fire damage from the desto tree might give your rain of fire a bit more kick.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Collection
    0/41/30 is the answer at the moment: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IZ0xIzstRq0sxzZVchVrzuV

- good for raid
    - good for hero
    - good for quest
    - good for farm

IMHO this spec is supah; i'm sure it shine more on a 25 man due to the buffs the felguard can take.

mehhh i like to quote myself lol

btw with 0/41/30 you are not using SB... you use always CoA, Corr, Immo, Incin.

15+ Year Old Account

- good for raid
    - good for hero
    - good for quest
    - good for farm
    i would like to change it to

- awesome for heroics
    - best spec for questing/leveling
    - almost as good as affliction when grinding
    but
    - good at raiding when ur gear is meh, after that full affe / destro is a better choice
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis
    i would like to change it to

- awesome for heroics
    - best spec for questing/leveling
    - almost as good as affliction when grinding
    but
    - good at raiding when ur gear is meh, after that full affe / destro is a better choice
    that is correct; before 4/5 t7/25 and the rest 25 man i guess 0/41/30 is the best solution. when we can all have a good ammount of spell damage and crit, maybe 0/20/51 or 0/31/40 will be better.

let's see in the future, 'cause to be honest i really like 0/20/51

btw with 0/41/30 you are not using SB... you use always CoA, Corr, Immo, Incin.
    I see.

That's good because if I do switch to 0/41/30, the only thing I change from my rotation is Incinerate instead of SB.

Right now, I use CoA, Corr (with corruption glyph for ST), Immo, then SB. I also use Demonic Empowerment as soon as it's off CD to maximize my felguard's DPS.

As for my AoE sequence I use Demonic Empowerment, 1 SoC, Metamorphosis, Charge, Immolation aura, Shadowflame, and Rain of Fire.

I've been reading about 0/41/30 and it sounds good except for that one post about it getting nerfed... Locks getting nerfed AGAIN?!?!

QQ

Blizzard hates us.. *cry*
    Is it because we pwn too much? I mean, we're locks.. What else do they want us to do? Might as well make us healers..

15+ Year Old Account

it' not getting nerfed.

about demonic emp, you can macro it with incinerate if ya want, something like:

/cast Demonic Emp..
    /stopcasting
    /cast Incinerate rank bla bla

so it will be used every time is possibile