Protection and Sacred Shield

Sacred shield, the skill you can buy off your trainer on reaching the godly level 80!

At first, when I read the skill, I was like meh... this is not for me (i'm prot!). But after one day using this skill and finding out the power (absorbing 500 damage every 6 seconds and making FoL critchance +50%!), I was like OWNAGE!

In instances (I got tons of threat so I can dish out a heal if needed) I now crit my FoL pretty much the most of the time (for 2.4 non buffed).

Serious, this skill is so great!

Does anyone have a good Macro spamming this skill like whenever you cast holy shield?

#showtooltip holy shield
    /cast Sacred Shield
    /cast Holy shield (rank X)

Something like this?

Lets discuss this skill and how YOU use it! (and if not, start using it! ). How does this fit in your current rotation?

/Bik

Re: Protection and Sacred Shield

As a tank you really shouldn't be casting much seeing as how this takes away your avoidance. You may heal for 2.4k but over the course of the 1.5 sec (doubt you have much haste as prot) you will be fully vulnerable to 4-5k hits in say a heroic. Although if you are talking about using this while farming on non-elites that don't hit so hard that is a good way to top yourself off and mitigate some damage though the absorb effect

Quote Originally Posted by Bik
    #showtooltip holy shield
    /cast Sacred Shield
    /cast Holy shield (rank X)
    This macro will not work good. Sacred Shield itself does not have cooldown, so you'll cast it every time you use HS. It's a +500 mana per HS cast itself. Also, cast of SS invokes 1.5s global cd, which will disable second cast of HS with error.

Possible solution is:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence [target=player] reset=30 Sacred Shield, Holy Shield, Holy Shield, Holy Shield, Holy Shield
    which also not too good, 'cos now you must lose 1.5s gcd to cast HS.

I've found it easier just to put SS on a standalone button & use addon like ZOMGBuffs or NeedToKnow to watch buff duration & recast manually if needed.

I am going to take a look at those addons!

SS is great for prot pallys, another means of mitigation....

plus the shield proc looks rather brilliant! Absolutely love the spell, makes my pally have a more holy feel.

Armoury Link

Nil desperandum! Always follow the Light

Deleted

You should NOT start healing yourself O_o While you are casting you can't dodge/parry/block anything so basically you are taking more damage than you would if you didn't start healing yourself. Do use sacred shield, it's awesome, but never stop to heal yourself.

On a sidenote, sacred shield is lackluster when soloing stuff. Prot has so little spellpower and all. But in instances it really helps, and get yourself a holy paladin and both put sacred shield on you... you'll notice you take crapload less damage :P I don't think it's meant to stack, but at the moment it does. Take advantage of it as long as it lasts