Poll: Which one do you prefer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Healbot vs. Grid+Clique

I have used Healbot on all my healing characters for over two years. It's gone through a lot of changes but it's remained great. The ONLY thing I don't like about it right now is that for some reason the health bars stopped changing colors when someone was diseased/magic like it used to. I am usually the 1st or 2nd person on healing meters in 25-mans(and no, I do not spam CoH like most priests seem to do, I use it about 20% of the time).

I wanted to try out Grid because I hear everyone rave about it. I tried it a while back on my druid and didn't like it but thought I'd give it another shot since Healbot doesn't show me debuffs anymore. When I did try Grid the other day in Heroic Naxx, I did awful on healing. I know it would take a bit of getting used to but I want to know if it's worth it.

Reasons why I prefer Healbot:
    - Health deficit is horizontal and the bar color changes in value from green to red depending on the health percentage. I suppose my brain just recognizes this better than the non-color-changing squares and vertical deficits that Grid has.

- Renew/PW:S/PoM tiny icons show up on the bars when MY spell is on the person. PoM shows a little number for the amount of charges left. Renew and PW:S start blinking and have a countdown starting at 5 sec before the spell wears off. I can't tell the remaining duration of my spells in Grid, it's either on or off, and there isn't even an OPTION for showing PoM(this is stupid).

- I can have the bars faded and set it so that when a player reaches a certain health, say 80%, the bar will become more visible so it's easier to react.

- I can see incoming heals from other players, which I know Grid also does, but it tells me the amount of HP the player will have after the heal or how much the incoming heal is going to overheal assuming the player doesn't take any more damage.

Reasons why I want to like Grid:
    - I can see if someone has a disease or magic on them, though it would take me some time to memorize the colors & position of the tiny squares.

- It has a more appealing overall look - Grid takes up less space than Healbot and the squares look organized. I can make the bars on Healbot smaller but it can just never look as nice as Grid.

- It seems as though every healer swears by this mod so I really want to like it, but I'm having trouble with that.

Based on this information I'd really like some opinions on what I should use. If I just really decide I want to stick with Healbot, then what mod can I use with it which alerts me of diseases or magic on players? I used to use decursive way back in the day and loved it, so if there is anything similar to it that would be great.

Re: Healbot vs. Grid+Clique

I also wasnt a fan of grid for some reason, as much as everyone raves about it I like healbot better. there is a setting in healbot to make the bars change color (mine go black) for diseases and (red) for magic affects, but I don't remember how I set it and I'm at work so cant play with it to figure it out. as far as the bulkiness of healbot I just set it to be clear unless there is aggro/missing hp/diseases etc so unless I need to cast something I can see right through it anyway..

15+ Year Old Account

Reasons why I prefer Healbot:
    - Health deficit is horizontal and the bar color changes in value from green to red depending on the health percentage. I suppose my brain just recognizes this better than the non-color-changing squares and vertical deficits that Grid has.

Grid can do this, set up low healt warnings, you can choose Horizontal/Vertical Health Bar orientations

- Renew/PW:S/PoM tiny icons show up on the bars when MY spell is on the person. PoM shows a little number for the amount of charges left. Renew and PW:S start blinking and have a countdown starting at 5 sec before the spell wears off. I can't tell the remaining duration of my spells in Grid, it's either on or off, and there isn't even an OPTION for showing PoM(this is stupid).

Grid does confuse others people spells sometimes, however use it in conjuction with a DoTtimer addOn. I know for Lifebllom there are extra addOns that hsow you Lifebloom durations and even stacks (1stack = blue, 2 = yellow, 3 stacks = green) I am sure there are similar addons for priests

- I can have the bars faded and set it so that when a player reaches a certain health, say 80%, the bar will become more visible so it's easier to react.

I do believe this is possible with Grid as well

- I can see incoming heals from other players, which I know Grid also does, but it tells me the amount of HP the player will have after the heal or how much the incoming heal is going to overheal assuming the player doesn't take any more damage.

Grid does the latter as well, it shows you an incoming heal, and if you set it to show on the center text it will show you an amount

Reasons why I want to like Grid:
    - I can see if someone has a disease or magic on them, though it would take me some time to memorize the colors & position of the tiny squares.

You can set your disease/magic indicator to "center icon" then an icon will appear on the persons grid fram (not just a colored square) of the disease/magic and it makes dispelling far easier than anything else

- It has a more appealing overall look - Grid takes up less space than Healbot and the squares look organized. I can make the bars on Healbot smaller but it can just never look as nice as Grid.

Totally agree, Grid looks amazing, I am at work so I can not get to photoshop, but later I will post my old healing UI to show some of what I talked about

- It seems as though every healer swears by this mod so I really want to like it, but I'm having trouble with that.

Gris is complex. It takes a bit of time to understand it, and it takes a LONG time to master it. But once you invest the time, you won't be able to live without it. I am a huge advocate on requireing Grid, I think it is that good.

Grid does that and much much more.. You just have to set it up yourself

I very much appreciate your replies.

Aminidab - do your bars still change colors, as in have you used it and seen it do that in the last few days? Mine used to do it and it was great, but ever since the patch before WotLK that part of it stopped working and I've been downloading every update. Maybe I have something set wrong but I could swear I have it set the same as before.

Eilt - thanks for your detailed responses. As far as showing durations I'd like it if I could minimize the amount of mods needed for healing, so I take it there is no way to do this on Grid. I suppose the other things I just need to spend lots of time on figuring out. Is there a website you would recommend that helps out people starting with Grid?

Cryxia - can you elaborate a bit please? What else can Grid do that Healbot cannot?

Quote Originally Posted by Kielet
    I was using healbot over half a year, than switched to grid + clique and i can say it was much better
    I'd really like to know what is "much better" that everyone says. Okay, so it can do all the things that Healbot does(with the addition of Clique and DoTtimer that is), but what ELSE can it do that would make me a better healer than I am with Healbot?

Quote Originally Posted by Devia
    This can be done in Grid as well, atleast I did it 1½ year ago.

This is true, but with a addon for watching PoM and perhaps ClassTimer it could be reworked , to something perhaps even more efficient.

I'm quite certain that Grid can do this as well.

I think you can configure grid to this, but absolutly not sure about it.

I very much appreciate your replies.

Aminidab - do your bars still change colors, as in have you used it and seen it do that in the last few days? Mine used to do it and it was great, but ever since the patch before WotLK that part of it stopped working and I've been downloading every update. Maybe I have something set wrong but I could swear I have it set the same as before.

Eilt - thanks for your detailed responses. As far as showing durations I'd like it if I could minimize the amount of mods needed for healing, so I take it there is no way to do this on Grid. I suppose the other things I just need to spend lots of time on figuring out. Is there a website you would recommend that helps out people starting with Grid?

EDIT: from what I can tell neither offers anything the other doesnt, but grid is WAY more difficult to set up and can be a little prettier. so basicly matter of opinion

Cryxia - can you elaborate a bit please? What else can Grid do that Healbot cannot?
    Yes i can verify as of last night when we got jumped by a DK and a lock in grizzly hills that it still changes the bar color for diseases/magic. I do however still use decursive and swear by it, even most of the people I know that use grid still use decursive, one button wonder ftw (well for a pally anyway)

I actually use 2 different mods that do things that healbot also does, pallypower (you CAN set buffs in healbot), and decursive (as you already know this can be done in healbot as well).

I play a holy priest and tied Healbot for a day, seemed kinda awkward to me. I switched to grid and never looked back.

Is there an option for Neither?

I make my own "Grid" using Pitbull.
    http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5360/dsuinn6.jpg

15+ Year Old Account

The video I watched was made by a resto druid, and it is more about Clique:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...08-Clique.html

But this page has some good info, from here find a Grid expert in your guild/on your served (believe me there is on there) and get some pointers or ask questions as you find them.

Edit, not all the durations need DoT Timer, I use that to make sure it is my spell on someone, there are extra libraries based on grid. So it is still 1 addon but it adds functionality. For example, you download Grid, then you download GridManaBars. All the second addon does is display mana/rage/energy bars on people Grid frames (great for raid leaders/perople with a restore mana ability).

Quote Originally Posted by aminidab
    Yes i can verify as of last night when we got jumped by a DK and a lock in grizzly hills that it still changes the bar color for diseases/magic. I do however still use decursive and swear by it, even most of the people I know that use grid still use decursive, one button wonder ftw (well for a pally anyway)
    I must just have something wrong with my own Healbot then. If my settings are incorrect I may try reinstalling it. If I can get this part of it to work then I haven't found any reason yet to switch to Grid...

Quote Originally Posted by derevka

I use pitbull for my UI as well. I suppose it would work with clique just fine - in that case it would be pretty similar to Healbot. I'm assuming that pitbull doesn't show incoming heals though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilt
    Edit, not all the durations need DoT Timer, I use that to make sure it is my spell on someone, there are extra libraries based on grid. So it is still 1 addon but it adds functionality. For example, you download Grid, then you download GridManaBars. All the second addon does is display mana/rage/energy bars on people Grid frames (great for raid leaders/perople with a restore mana ability).
    Yeah I downloaded and setup additional addons as explained by Nidaba on elitistjerks.com.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t35208-w...v3_0_progress/

I will watch that video from WoWInterface.

Quote Originally Posted by derevka

Meh, I tried pitbull for a while to seemed silly to have an extra raidframe when healbot already serves as one, and just like grid to much setup for just a better looking situation with the same functionality. maybe I'm just lazy =P

I don't use either of these add-ons myself. X-perl raid frames allows for setting thresholds for people's healthbars lighting up (eg: if a person falls below X% health, their healthbar becomes bright instead of transparent) in addition to allowing range finding (eg: if people are below X% health but more than 40 yards away their healthbar won't light up). It can also be configured to show your buffs, Hots, etc that are present on each person with timers.

For curing diseases/poisons/curses, I use Decursive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastleey
    I don't use either of these add-ons myself. X-perl raid frames allows for setting thresholds for people's healthbars lighting up (eg: if a person falls below X% health, their healthbar becomes bright instead of transparent) in addition to allowing range finding (eg: if people are below X% health but more than 40 yards away their healthbar won't light up). It can also be configured to show your buffs, Hots, etc that are present on each person with timers.

For curing diseases/poisons/curses, I use Decursive.
    again all of this is baked into healbot, little to no setup required. havent played with x-pearl but from what I understand it's another heavy setup mod like putbull and grid.

I use pitbull for my UI as well. I suppose it would work with clique just fine - in that case it would be pretty similar to Healbot. I'm assuming that pitbull doesn't show incoming heals though.
    It can...

It's all about configuring and trying out some plugins for Grid, nothing more.

Noobs or lazy folks (and especially lazy noobs!) should use healbot. Period.
    All others should give Grid & Clique a try. IMO it's much better.
    "This is really happening!"

Quote Originally Posted by melvinhaze
    It's all about configuring and trying out some plugins for Grid, nothing more.

Noobs or lazy folks (and especially lazy noobs!) should use healbot. Period.
    All others should give Grid & Clique a try. IMO it's much better.
    Still trying to find clarification on this point myself, and I think thats what the OP is looking for to, Why is it better? what can it do that healbot can't? It really seems like a matter of preference. healbot or grid/x-pearl/pitbull + clique. I'm still waiting for any feature or function that any has the other doesnt.