Poll: Which one do you prefer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Healbot vs. Grid+Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Shikaka
    The mouse is like my handle, and the keyboard is like my barrel. You get me?
    Hmm I don't think I get it but then again I'm not sure I want to. :P

Quote Originally Posted by aminidab
    here is your instructions on debuffs:

Cure tab
    Monitor to remove debuffs and in combat: set these options to monitor.
    Spell to debuff: set the spell you would use, ie. Remove Curse would monitor for Curse. *Note. these are the spells SmartCast will use, to use a spell in combat you must set it on the spells tab, by default Alt+Left and Alt+Right will have a spell set.
    Ignore Debuff: Options to ignore debuffs not normally decused, see below.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Health bar colours: Change the members bar to this colour when affected by a debuff. The colour can be changed by clicking on the bar.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Debuff Warnings: options for giving warnings when a members has been affected by a debuff.
    Ignore Debuffs options:
    - Irrelevant by class: Debuffs should as mana effect on warriors/rogues. - Non harmful effect: Debuffs which do no harm, such as Hunter's mark. - Short duration: Debuffs which only last for a few seconds. - Slow movement effect: Debuffs which only effect movement speed.

to show who has aggro go under the general tab and click on "monitor aggro" then you can choose between show text or flash bar. I use the show text it adds ">>>player name<<<" in the frame for who has aggro.
    Thanks for the info, aminidab. I DO have my decursive settings set up like that, but maybe I just need to re-install Healbot or something. When it says "SmartCast", is that another addon I'm supposed to have or is it part of Healbot? I will also try out the aggro settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Devia
    Thanks for the info, aminidab. I DO have my decursive settings set up like that, but maybe I just need to re-install Healbot or something. When it says "SmartCast", is that another addon I'm supposed to have or is it part of Healbot? I will also try out the aggro settings.
    the smart cast setting you can set up basic triage casting. It's only enabled OOC but you can tell it to #1 resurrect. #2 buff, #3 heal. or whatever order, then any click will perform those functions in that order, and the healing part will pick the spell AND rank based on what healing they need. again only works out of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfire
    so whos the nub, how about those of us that when our addon fails we cant do jack diddly squat.
    QFT. Back in the day I used to heal before I even knew about addons and I was just fine. Now I'd be gimp without it haha.

Back in the day on my shaman I used to spam a macro that would target the person with the lowest health and heal them. I also had a decursive keybind I would spam when needed. I miss pre-2.0 macros and addons.

I personally use Clique+Grid. It's mainly because I think Healbot is ugly as hell. I also don't like the options because I am so used to grid's config.

greenmasheen

i would use grid + click, but it causes a lot of errors on my wow setup.

i use x perl and it works well for me... although it hogs latency i think.

Praid- LOL does this still work even!
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtwo
    Back in the day on my shaman I used to spam a macro that would target the person with the lowest health and heal them. I also had a decursive keybind I would spam when needed. I miss pre-2.0 macros and addons.
    Sorry, but I couldn't avoid replying... All your gameplay was based on pressing a single button, not even your mouse was required. How's that any fun?

The biggest problem with Grid is that it is not plug & play by any stretch of the imagination.

It takes quite a bit of time to get setup and configured to be truly effective.

The next biggest downfall of Grid (or a strength, pending how you look at it) is that it almost requires additional addons that others have made specifically to plug into Grid (GridStatusHots, GridStatusMissingBuffs, GridIndicatorSideIcons, etc).

With these additional plugins, Grid becomes a very powerful tool for maximizing your healing capabilities. This is mainly due to it being so simplistic in its appearance that you don't get visually lost in the "fluff" that many of its competitors have. It's straight forward, clean, and crisp in its presentation.

With that being said, assuming you get all the appropriate plugins to the Grid addon, you can have a very nice UI that will tell you, immediately, the following things:

Top Left in Box = Shows That Player Has Aggro
    Bottom Left in Box = Shows That Player Is Targeted With Incoming Heal
    Top Right in Box = Shows that player is afflicted with Magic-based debuff
    Right in Box = Shows that player is afflicted with Disease-based debuff
    Bottom Right in Box = Shows that player is afflicted with Curse-based debuff
    Bottom (Tiny Icon of Fortitude) in Box = Shows that player is missing a Power Word: Fortitude or Prayer of Fortitude Buff
    Lower-Center Text = Shows the duration of your heal-over-time (I'll say renew in this instance since I'm a Priest) as well as a total count of how many hots are on the target after that

The other really powerful thing about Grid is you can add custom effects on the fly. This was really helpful during Felmyst in Sunwell Plateau with his "Encapsulate" ability. Since it isn't able to be dispelled, it never appeared on Grid. By adding it to Grid, it would display the ability's icon in the center as a GINORMOUS icon that you could never miss.

When I saw the Encapsulate icon pop up, I immediately knew to cast CoH on that target to try and heal through the damage. Before myself and a guilded Priest both using Grid and being fairly knowledgeable of its workings arrived, people would just flat out die to Encapsulate because they couldn't get away quickly enough and the reactions of the healers using their systems was just too slow.

I can say that Grid made that encounter doable for the random puggy group that I went with =)

Now one major thing AGAINST Grid is that it doesn't have the functionality to track raid pets. This was never a problem until the new vehicle code came out.

During 10-Malygos, it's not a problem as people should be able to take care of themselves, but 25-Malygos can never hurt to have a couple people assigned to raid healing as needed. Grid simply cannot do this no matter what I've tried to tweak with it.

I finally broke down and got PitBull and set up only it's raid pet frames and made an awesome macro to enable single-clicking to cast the Revivify ability on them while targeting them (in order to fire combo-point abilities).

Which, by the way, if someone needs the macro, here it is:

/focus [target=mouseover]
    /target [target=focus]
    /cast Revivify
    /clearfocus

For some reason I couldn't always get it to work by removing the weird /focus work-a-round (e.g. /target [target=mouseover]) so I just stuck with what I could get working 100% of the time.

Healbot shows this.

Not sure how this information is helpful. I think it would confuse me more than anything.

Pretty sure Healbot shows this

Bottom (Tiny Icon of Fortitude) in Box = Shows that player is missing a Power Word: Fortitude or Prayer of Fortitude Buff
    Not sure if Healbot shows this. but im sure i can handle it either myself, or with another mod

Lower-Center Text = Shows the duration of your heal-over-time (I'll say renew in this instance since I'm a Priest) as well as a total count of how many hots are on the target after that
    Healbot shows the duration of your own hot's, not sure I care about other healers hots.

The other really powerful thing about Grid is you can add custom effects on the fly. This was really helpful during Felmyst in Sunwell Plateau with his "Encapsulate" ability. Since it isn't able to be dispelled, it never appeared on Grid. By adding it to Grid, it would display the ability's icon in the center as a GINORMOUS icon that you could never miss.
    deadly boss mods?

This is allso showed by a red light around the target with the default raid UI

can easely be detected if you have target of target ability of the default raid UI on and see another healer casting

The default raid UI allso shows dbufs you can dispell/abolish/clense/cure if you wish

The default raid UI allso shows dbufs you can dispell/abolish/clense/cure if you wish

Not really needed is it? Prayer of Fortitude is raid wide, and its not really that hard too buff someone that has just ressed, but this can allso be showed by the default raid UI

The other really powerful thing about Grid is you can add custom effects on the fly. This was really helpful during Felmyst in Sunwell Plateau with his "Encapsulate" ability. Since it isn't able to be dispelled, it never appeared on Grid. By adding it to Grid, it would display the ability's icon in the center as a GINORMOUS icon that you could never miss. /Deadly boss mods
    now even shows as b large text warning in the middle of your screen.

I dont see why you use all thse addons. Your just being lazy, and makeing the game too easy. There is no funn in easy. but again we kno there are people that cant really manage too use the "behind the eyes" addon.

(know allot of spellings, am dysletic)

Yes I realize Deadly Boss Mods shows a number of effects that are about to fire off.

It's a lot faster to see it appear on your Grid than having to "/target Player Name" of the person being encapsulated or looking for them, by name, on your raid UI. You can attempt to argue against this with me, but you'll simply be wasting your time.

As for addons making people "lazy" - you find me a top tier healer and I will show you that they are either using Grid+Clique, PitBull+Clique, DefaultUI+Clique, or HealBot. Hate to be the one to break it to you, champ, but it's nigh impossible to be an effective healer in a raid setting without one of the mentioned setups (sorry to any addon makers in that category I may have forgotten).

I especially love your debating skills where you immediately jump to personal attacks. Feel free to call me an idiot/stupid/slow/etc all you like, the fact remains that if you want to be a competitive healer in a top tier guild, you'll need them.

If you don't use them, you get replaced - plain and simple =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfire
    yes healbot has this functionality built in
    I never said it didn't. I recall saying that HealBot and Grid+Clique do almost the exact same thing, however, Grid (in my opinion) does so without all the fluff and colors. It's plain and simple.

and once again yes healbot does this
    And once again, I never said it didn't.

and for the third time oh my yes heal bot does this too
    And for the third time, oh my, I never said it didn't.

I *PREFER* Grid for my mentioned reasons. I, by no means, made any statement saying that Grid was superior to HealBot (other than the custom effect additions). You might want to consider that you're not the standard bearer of the HealBot addon with the need to viciously defend its honor. HealBot is a fine addon, it's simply not my preferred one. My post was more so explaining a more ideal setup of Grid and what is possible once everything is configured.

Quote Originally Posted by Synge
    I never said it didn't. I recall saying that HealBot and Grid+Clique do almost the exact same thing, however, Grid (in my opinion) does so without all the fluff and colors. It's plain and simple.

And once again, I never said it didn't.

And for the third time, oh my, I never said it didn't.

I *PREFER* Grid for my mentioned reasons. I, by no means, made any statement saying that Grid was superior to HealBot (other than the custom effect additions). You might want to consider that you're not the standard bearer of the HealBot addon with the need to viciously defend its honor. HealBot is a fine addon, it's simply not my preferred one. My post was more so explaining a more ideal setup of Grid and what is possible once everything is configured.
    I think the whole reason he was pointing out that Healbot also had these features is because the whole question on this forum is: What additional configurations does Grid offer in functionality over Healbot? It can be pretty much concluded from the replies here that there really isn't anything better, if anything a little less just because with Healbot all you need is Healbot, nothing else. Grid just has more customization in look, but NOT functionality. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Synge
    As for addons making people "lazy" - you find me a top tier healer and I will show you that they are either using Grid+Clique, PitBull+Clique, DefaultUI+Clique, or HealBot. Hate to be the one to break it to you, champ, but it's nigh impossible to be an effective healer in a raid setting without one of the mentioned setups (sorry to any addon makers in that category I may have forgotten).

If you don't use them, you get replaced - plain and simple =)
    I consider myself a good healer, I won't say "top tier" because I'm not that cocky but I perform very well on raids, I know my class and how to play it well. I've healed everything up to BT and cleared WotLK (well, who didn't?).

If you like to measure healers by meters, yes, I often top them or 2nd close enough from CoH users.

For raid healing I need two addons: Grid and Quartz (to time my GCDs and casts right). I don't use Clique or Healbot - actually I *refuse* to install them, I've never even tried. If you like them it's your call, sorry to be honest but whoever "clicks to heal/decurse/cleanse" is not healing, is playing Dance Dance Revolution...

Grats on your coordination, "top tier DDR player".

I really wonder how's that any fun or different from paying someone to play for you.

I originally used to pull the raid frames out of the raid tab, and click, keybind heal. It worked pretty well, but was an eyesore, and a pain to set up.

Then I got healbot. I learned the program, and took the time to set up my options and now I can:

1)Monitor debuffs and abolish disease/dispell with a ctrl click

2)Monitor aggro and precast heals/ PW:S

3)Monitor incoming heals

4)Monitor Range

5)Set up which skin I want to use 5 man, 10 man, 25 man.

6)Tell Where PoM is, and how man charges are left on it

7)See who has weekend soul (looks like an extended PW:S)

8)See how long is left on my renew

9)I have shrunk it down, marked the main tanks in their own tabs, and centered it like most grid/clique users do.

10)healbot takes less RAM to run as an addon, less then 1 MB. Maybe that doesnt matter to some of you, but i see no need for just wasting memory for a program that does NOTHING more then a less cumbersome one.

Get over grid. people think just cause they saw Nihilum/Awake screenshots with it that its the best.

Healbot 4 life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto
    I consider myself a good healer, I won't say "top tier" because I'm not that cocky but I perform very well on raids, I know my class and how to play it well. I've healed everything up to BT and cleared WotLK (well, who didn't?).

If you like to measure healers by meters, yes, I often top them or 2nd close enough from CoH users.

For raid healing I need two addons: Grid and Quartz (to time my GCDs and casts right). I don't use Clique or Healbot - actually I *refuse* to install them, I've never even tried. If you like them it's your call, sorry to be honest but whoever "clicks to heal/decurse/cleanse" is not healing, is playing Dance Dance Revolution...

I really wonder how's that any fun or different from paying someone to play for you.
    I'm not being an ass to people who don't use specific addons so I'd appreciate you to use the same etiquette. Whoever clicks to heal isn't healing? Okay then, how do you target who you want to heal? Do you type out: /tar Bob every time you want to heal Bob and then press your keyboard button to cast the heal? By that time, in a 5 man your group is dead, or in a raid someone else has already healed the person.

No, as a matter of fact you still click on the person's health bar and then press your keyboard button(or click your spell icon, whatever you do) to heal them. That still includes clicking. So don't be an ass just because your method is different.

Oh, and by the way, have you ever played DDR before? Apparently not. Because on the highest difficulty, it's HARD, and you have to be in shape to keep up with the song. Don't diss DDR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto

You do the exact same thing, you're just doing it with keybindings and the default UI. Wait a sec, that's what these people do too...
    /facepalm

Grid has (or at least had -- not looked at Healbot for a while) has a number of major advantages over Healbot:

1. It is not only extremely minimal in it's appearance, but the idea of a minimal UI is fundamental to its design and was from it's inception and development.

2. The high levels of configuration and customisation mean you can get it to show exactly what you want and nothing more.

3. Raid debuffs displayed as centre icons.

#1 and #2 taken together allow you to make beautifully efficient healing UIs that convey only the most important information and convey that information in a way that is well suited to an environment where rapid assimilation of fast changing, dynamic information and fast decision making and reactions are critical. If you set Grid up correctly it should be mostly dark and should show you all the information you need with simple, effective use of small amounts of colour and at most one rich piece of information (an icon, a negative numebr showing health deficit). This is an extremely good UI design for the job of a raid healer (FWIW I have a post-graduate qualification in Human Computer Interaction so do in some sense know what I am talking about here).

#3 is (or was) Grid's killer feature and is what Synge was talking about with regard to Felmyst's Encapsulate. Many raid fights are designed around dealing *very* quickly with RSTS or AoE debuffs and using centre icons to highlight these specific crucial debuffs is a very powerful feature. This feature alone, assuming Healbot doesn't have an equivalent, would make it impossible for me to drop Grid (and I think once you have experienced it you would agree).

The big downside to Grid is, of course, that all this flexibility comes at a price and you end up spending ages faffing about with it. In comparison Healbot will give you almost all Grid's features and, say, 95% of the efficency right out of the box. This is going to make it the preffered choice for many players.

So the question is Do the slight advantages of Grid matter? If you are doing nerfed content or content you are comfortably geared for then the answer is almost certainly no as the game simply isn't that hard for this stuff to matter *that* much. If you are pushing your progression to chase server firsts or achievements or are somewhat undergeared then it might well do. This is why you see Grid discussed / used more frequently in "hardcore" or progression focused guilds; it's basically about people looking for an edge.

Otherwise it's a basic choice between does a great job with minimal effort (Healbot) versus some increased efficiency and a highly personalised UI at the cost of a couple of hours working it all out (Grid). I think a lot of it depends on the type of player/person you are.

Half of the people unfortunately doesn't even know how to use Grid.

GRID, with 4 more standalone addons:
    GRIDSideIndicators (4 icons on the player square instead of 1)
    GRIDManaBars (self explanatory)
    GRIDAlert (Like the Deadly Boss Mods alert for Diseases and Magics)
    GRIDStatusRaidDebuff (self explanatory)