Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Draethas

The art of Shadow damage!

Hi people...

Blizzard have made Priest really good at doing DPS (damage per second) in dungeons and raids now compared to other DPS class'. They have gotten many improvements, so now they do not join a run, because they can heal while making damage, but now also because they make great DPS. So this post, is for dicussing the art of Shadow done by a Priest. How can we top our DPS, control our aggro and mana well and when to use what? All that is going to be discussed here. So please post ideas you have gained while playing the Priest class, which glyphs, which spells, which talents?

I have looked alot on the Priest talent tree, and I have gotten to this one. I think its great, because it takes every damage and mana efficient talents and leaves PvP oriented talents. I havent take "Silence", because its a DPS tree.

I haven't taken "Improved Mind Blast" 5 times but 4, because I think 2 seconds lesser cooldown is enough for Mind Blast, which have 8 seconds normally. When you cast Mind Flay (3 sec cast) 2 times, you use 6 seconds, which is the cooldown of Mind Blast with the 4 talents points in "Improved Mind Blast", so the last 0,5 sec isn't needed.
    I haven't take "Pain and Suffering" 3 times but 2, because I think that 66% chance on Mind Flay is enough to refresh Shadow Word: Pain. You hit 6 times with Mind Flay in the spellrotation, so there is still good chance to refresh Shadow Word: Pain.
    Then I have added some points in Discipline, to get some spellpower, better buffs and mana regeneration.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=111912000000

Re: The art of Shadow damage!

I haven't taken "Improved Mind Blast" 5 times but 4, because I think 2 seconds lesser cooldown is enough for Mind Blast
    It's not, since it will be much much worse when you suddenly get alot of spellhaste on your gear.

5/5 is the correct amount.

I haven't take "Pain and Suffering" 3 times but 2, because I think that 66% chance on Mind Flay is enough to refresh Shadow Word: Pain.
    In almost every encounter, except Patch, you'll have movement involved.

And more ever so often, you refresh SW:P when it only got 1-2 ticks left, so a 33% chance to fail is a unacceptable high risk.

3/3 is the correct amount.

Then I have added some points in Discipline, to get some spellpower, better buffs and mana regeneration.
    That's also pretty defacto, and should be included in every build.

Here's the best base build, including every single talent you should have for raiding. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcb0hZZG0fVRfzciqfzAo

It leaves you with a bunch of options:

Improved Vampiric Embrace - If you know how to play with it, I'll recomend it. I prefer it personally, as on fights like Sapphiron you do ALOT of self-healing with it, and assist your healers alot.

Inner Focus - Often you end up with 1 point you can place here if you like.

Shadow Affinity - Untill you hit around 2000 spellpower and 18% crit, you won't need any points in this. You simply won't do enough threat compared to a average non-retarded tank.

It's very well known and accepted to not have this talent anymore, as Shadowform itself gives a 30% threat reduction.

This is my build: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcb0hZZGzfVRfzfiqfzAo

Draethas

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    5/5 is the correct amount. In almost every encounter, except Patch, you'll have movement involved.
    Improved movement?

If you heal and make DPS in dungeons with VE, you can get alot of aggro if we look on the paper. So isnt the aggro thing needed or is Fade enough? I wont waste points from improved VE into threat.

15+ Year Old Account

Fade is temporary. It is however pretty much impossible to pull aggro from a tank with imp. ve up and doing as much damage as possible. Tanks generate a truckload of aggro nowadays, and sf gives -30% aggro anyway.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

VE don't generate any remarkable amount of threat anymore. Your papers smell of poo I guess.

And Shadow Affinity is still not needed.

Fade is temporary.
    The reason for Improved Fade is Shadowfiend

At 3.6k DPS ImpVE is an extra 162tps per point, assuming all 5 people *constantly* need the heals. About half of that threat is just from healing yourself. That's rather insignificant in the big picture of threat.

Is that calculated with the new values? The healing differs from Caster (Me) to Group (Them)

Draethas

How would you calculate it?

I have yet to even come close to pulling agro on any boss except Malygos during vortex transition(use fade). Not even aoe pulls in Naxx do I come close, and we basically pull 2-4 packs in all wings.

4630 dps on 25 man patch....9-12k dps on trash(aoe)

You will not ever need shadow affinity, and always get imp VE, 5/5 imp MB, 3/3 meditation.

Draethas

So we all think that this is the best build? http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZZG0fVRfzfiqfzAo

Quote Originally Posted by Draethas
    So we all think that this is the best build? http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZZG0fVRfzfiqfzAo
    In my opinion, yes.

At least that's what I'm using

Anyway, replace Glyph of Mind Flay with Glyph of SWD. I dont see how adding a larger range to an ability will make it do more dmg.
    That's because you haven't killed any of the hard bosses yet :-)

Malygos (At 50% shift), Malygos P2, Grobbulus, Sartharion with several drakes, Sapphiron and Kel'thuzad comes to mind.

Easier spreading out = more time to do damage = more damage.

And you don't use SW in today's rotation, sooooooooo.

Wrong meta gem, lack of cloak enchant and gimped ring enchants = Sad Panda.

No really, you don't use SW alot compared to how often max range is nice. Sure, you can be fuck all and go max risk and end up wiping the raid, it's a matter how much you care for overall raid performance versus personal dps.

I wouldn't live without it.

And should you ever attempt 5min Malygos, you'd be forced to get it

It's very wrong when you're stacking crit (Your selection of trinkets, rings and boot says so), because you get much much less damage out of your current meta.

If you wanted to go full spellpower, more haste pieces had been optimal. (And more spellpower in general!).

I mean, it's obvious you're stacking Spirit for regen though Imp. Spirit Tap, and blowing off SW on every CD since you bothered to get the 4p bonus from T7.

Me, math, and large part of the community, just happend to disagree that's very efficient.

(Also, it's only the choice of two. Runspeed meta gems for PvE, who'd you be kidding)

[item=41285] scale alot better with gear than the other two. That should be very obvious to anyone, we're talking 3% more damage, a PERCENTAGE more damage!

And [item=41389] would always be lesser than the other two, because the 2% extra intellect also grant extra crit, and because 25 spellpower is always worth more than 21 crit rating.

But alas, nobody is forcing you to belive the way itempoints are calculated on shadowpriest.com

I mean, anyone could also claim that the hit percentages used in general theroycraft is wrong if they did a entire instance runs without misses.

Information is always subjective, but often we deside a "general accepted truth" by the masses. You seem to disagree with it.

I liek drama

Sylar 21 crit + 3% increased critical dmg is miles away from 25/2%int spell power for the simple reason if afects ALL crit and nowdays crit is a huge chunk of my dps (if not from yours then you are doing it wrong) , swd is a wasted GCD even if the bonus was 20% more crit it still fails badly since it's not scaling half as good as mindflay. Test it , stop using swd , fix your god dam gems (hit cap and then sp , sp , sp) ignore the bonus since they are not that hot and keep a tigth dps cycle , you will see a large dps increase if you follow this guidelines , now if you can prove me that i am wrong whit a wws report then i will swallow my words and /bow in shame , until then your another clueless belf that needs a good chunck of l2p!
    http://eonguild.powerguild.net/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Healingprick
    They should add an Diminish on Return on QQ's

I dunno if I would call SW a wasted GCD... just the lowest priority spell we have. If I have about 1-1.5 seconds until MB is cooled down, all my DoTs and VE are up, I probably won't Mind Flay, because I'd either have to clip it after one tick or let it full cast and have Mind Blast sitting there, staring angrily at me for daring not to use it every moment it's cooled down. So... Mind Blast bullies me into SW casts. :'(

Never the less, you missed out around 15000 damage by not having the right meta gem in.

Not to mention the lowered damage of the ticks from your DoTs, which itself should make up compared to the spellpower.

Your damage only make up for your gear.

And again, the meta will scale better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by sylar
    Shut up scrub, you're shit, end of story.
    PS http://wowwebstats.com/kz1zlqghmwy6u...927&a=x26f1ee8
    well another captain america ... glad to see you are so pro and polite but i still can beat you on patchwerk . Your report does not prof anything or is relevant to the discussion above , the tipical american arrogance is made of fail and so are you.

ITT :
    If you are so good why do you play in such a crap guild ... disscuss.
    http://eonguild.powerguild.net/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Healingprick
    They should add an Diminish on Return on QQ's