Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc priest vs Holy priest

I used http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=050213060203 (disc) and found it draining my mana bar faster then http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=050213060203 is it just me terribly bad at disc or that I am just good at the 5SR and thats it? (ignore glyphs dident bother too change em) oh yeah and btw I tested this in 5 man HC just too give it a try... (no replenishment if thats it mabe)

yeah and I found healeing was allot more easyer with Holy then disc, love just useing PoH thru loken and stuff ;D

Deleted

Re: Disc priest vs Holy priest

Just a matter of personal playstyle really, it seems to me that your prefer holy over discipline, so I guess you answered your own question.

Personally I'm in love with discipline (and we can also use PoH), mana propably is less stressfull then holy, at least from what I heard, but I havent thoroughly tested holy yet. Sometimes I just make it harder for myself because I find healing as discipline very easy, so when there is aoe damage i try to spotheal rather then to rely on PoH, much like paladins do, it makes it more challenging for me and I like it that way. (Damn you azjol-nerub!!! >)

Holy does have some heals that are more powerfull then discipline, like greater heal or flash heal, and you have to play a lot with OO5SR, which makes holy more challenging for holypriests. It's just not the way I want it to be challenging. Dont get me wrong I manage my mana pretty well, I was even able of spamming greater heals on instructior razzuvius without going below half my mana.

In the end it is a just a matter of playstyle and personal preference, it seems to me like you are really fond of holy, so I'd say play as holy priest and enjoy every second of it.

And just like there is a matter of taste between holy and disc there are a couple of preferences in disc as well. Especially between using GHeal or not. I myself is on the 'almost never use GHeal at all' side of the spectrum.

With Glyph of Flash Heal it really isn't that much more expensive casting two of those instead of one GHeal. It takes a little longer (with Divine Fury) but at the same time the risk of overhealing is far less and you get two chances of crit putting Inspiration on the target and to keep or build up Grace. And less overhealing means more back from Rapture (compared to the mana spent).

Personally I'd take Inner Focus for obvious reasons. And I also think Aspiration is important to have just for the lower cooldown on Penance.

People used to holy builds tend to play disc as if they still were holy and that isn't really good. And, there is the difference on how to gear appropriate for the different builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahijnu
    People used to holy builds tend to play disc as if they still were holy and that isn't really good. And, there is the difference on how to gear appropriate for the different builds.
    This.

I tried healing CoT: Strat at 78 w/ a 78 tank and I wanted to kill myself specced Disc. Not because Disc was bad, but because I was still wearing gear designed for holy, which I'm willing to bet the OP was and still attempting to use the FSR.

Discipline itemizes wholly different from Holy, almost ignoring Spr and favoring Int and Crit. Discipline also requires constant healing as opposed to waiting, to maintain grace. Shields are not only good, but a necessary mana regen tool via rapture.

This is what I used after I figured out what I was doing
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtbxoicRtbxtc

Deleted

As discipline I do not necessairily tend to spam flash heal, but flash heal is my main spell though. If someone needs healing I will flash heal, if noone needs healing I prefer not to heal.

The example I brought up about constructior razuvius was offtopic irrelevant now that I think of it. Yes I was spamming greater heal but both understudies where at half health and neither of both shamans heals were really cutting it, so yeah I started casting greater heal prio to flash heal, note I had two mana totems and replenishment buff, so really the manaregen went through the roof. ;D

About itemization, I think by now every priest should know, that while discipline will still benefit from spirit for their manaregen, intellect is just much better for that through rapture and intelbased spiritregen. I've seen some topics on this on Elitistjerks, and i think holy might choose intellect aswell, but spirit is still a very good stat for holy, they gain regen just as a discipline priest, but also additional spellpower through spiritual healing, and because holy plays the 5SR, they will build up a high regen through spirit.

Disc should really be working with 3 spells for the majority of the time.

PW:S - Substantial absorbion now through talents, and mana battery from Rapture.
    Penance - The greatest single spell ever created, GH healing for FH cost, healing starts instantly and it can be hasted. (and it's pwetty!)
    Flash heal - Next to no cost if glyphed once Rapture returns, stable heal for when Penance is on cooldown.

Gear for Intel > Crit > Haste > MP5 / Spirit

The 5SR is just an added bonus if your shield is holding up good and strong, but mana return is from Rapture, Meditation and any replenishment etc.

For group healing I'll use PoH if needed, but shielding and spot healing works fine if you're nimble fingered.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Draethas

Quote Originally Posted by Arduroc
    I tried healing CoT: Strat at 78 w/ a 78 tank and I wanted to kill myself specced Disc. Not because Disc was bad, but because I was still wearing gear designed for holy, which I'm willing to bet the OP was and still attempting to use the FSR.

Discipline itemizes wholly different from Holy, almost ignoring Spr and favoring Int and Crit. Discipline also requires constant healing as opposed to waiting, to maintain grace. Shields are not only good, but a necessary mana regen tool via rapture.

I really think that, the specc you have linked look very nice! But do you use Greater Heal in your rotation and which glyphs do you have? Isnt "Improved Renew" and "Focused Power" better to take than the Greater Heal one?

Quote Originally Posted by Draethas
    I really think that, the specc you have linked look very nice! But do you use Greater Heal in your rotation and which glyphs do you have? Isnt "Improved Renew" and "Focused Power" better to take than the Greater Heal one?
    I think that is a very bad disc build. u dont need Divine Fury cos u dont use GH that much, but u do need aspiration to make cooldown 4 sec less for penace.
    this build is the most common one, and i think its by fare the best one aswell.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRtfxzc

Quote Originally Posted by Marlom
    I think that is a very bad disc build. u dont need Divine Fury cos u dont use GH that much, but u do need aspiration to make cooldown 4 sec less for penace.
    Yup, that's the cookie cutter spec right there, and no matter how you play around with it I haven't found any way of speccing better.

Divine Fury is trash for 5 points. You'll use GH very very rarely and as Haste is on your shopping list anyways you'll see the GH cast time come down anyway.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Arduroc
    This.

The cookie-cutter Disc spec would remove those 2 pts in Healing Focus and put them in Aspiration, otherwise it's all good (according to me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleera View Post
    I'll miss how the old Tree of Life looked like it was in a constant state of panic while healing, running around with its arms flailing up in the air going "OH GOD, HOW DID I GET HERE? I AM NOT GOOD WITH INTERNETS!"

Draethas

How does that specc work in dungeons? It's because i am considering choosing Disc or Holy, and I need to know, what works best in dungeons and what is best to start with (MANA)?

Quote Originally Posted by Draethas
    How does that specc work in dungeons? It's because i am considering choosing Disc or Holy, and I need to know, what works best in dungeons and what is best to start with (MANA)?
    When starting out, Discipline has less mana issues than Holy, but both are equally capable of stopping "percent-tank-death".

+5 cool points to anyone who knows the game I'm talking about.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    When starting out, Discipline has less mana issues than Holy, but both are equally capable of stopping "percent-tank-death".

+5 cool points to anyone who knows the game I'm talking about.
    What game is this?

Ohh ops, forgot smily

I must point out that it's 2 seconds less cooldown and not 4, how much I'd like that to be true! Not only that, it's 36 seconds less cooldown on Inner Focus (and PS and PI but those aren't used as often).

I have one comment about the spec that is also up for debate (I guess). First it's the Improved Divine Spirit's to be or not to be. If raiding (especially in 25-man but also happens in 10-man) with a shaman it might be two talent points badly spent but if doing heroics is what the player mostly does they can be worth the points. But then they have to be taken from Mental Agility, Enlightenment or one in Mental Strength and Power Infusion. 80 more spellpower for you and the group could be better than PI and 3% more Int depending on gear.

well I guess you want too be speccing either http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=020513030205 or http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=020513030205 dont really see any other way too spec it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gahijnu
    I must point out that it's 2 seconds less cooldown and not 4, how much I'd like that to be true! Not only that, it's 36 seconds less cooldown on Inner Focus (and PS and PI but those aren't used as often).

I have one comment about the spec that is also up for debate (I guess). First it's the Improved Divine Spirit's to be or not to be. If raiding (especially in 25-man but also happens in 10-man) with a shaman it might be two talent points badly spent but if doing heroics is what the player mostly does they can be worth the points. But then they have to be taken from Mental Agility, Enlightenment or one in Mental Strength and Power Infusion. 80 more spellpower for you and the group could be better than PI and 3% more Int depending on gear.

thats true, but i have 6sec cd on penace now, so can someone tell me where the 2 last sec did go . and i dont think its that good whit imp divine spi, cos a disc priest dosnt have mana problems and to use 2 talentpont to get there u have to nerf urself for them. so i still have to say ots the best build... ;D

thats true, but i have 6sec cd on penace now, so can someone tell me where the 2 last sec did go . and i dont think its that good whit imp divine spi, cos a disc priest dosnt have mana problems and to use 2 talentpont to get there u have to nerf urself for them. so i still have to say ots the best build... ;D
    Cooldown on Penance starts the instant you begin chanelling, so by the time you've 'shot your balls' you will only have 6 seconds of the cooldown remaining. It's just one of the many many things I love about Penance ;D

Armory Link

penance is also great to reduce overhealing, because between heals your tank will probably be losing HP...

i used to be a long time holy priest from pre-bc into bt, and it was hard at first to get used to not spamming GHeal on people. it was also hard because as disc you have to actually be awake because you are constantly doing something.

over all it depends on your prefrence .. disc has a lot of micro managing instants, heals and shield.... holy has a lot of strategic use of heals and staying in fsr.
    It's just a game.

Draethas

What is the most funniest build to play then?

Holy is more funn, you can crit over 30k